A Genuine Treasure Chart - Sir William Phips Concepcion

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop:

I was rummaging for something else and I came upon this:

View attachment 904567

"The Wreckage of the 1715 Plate Fleet" - Florida Treasure Brokers added the known wreck locations to Romans' 1774 Map.

Look above "Province."

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Yes, they did. But as I recall it wasn't until the discovery of the Romans map that Wagner and his associates were certain of the source. I don't remember all of the details but I do recall that the Romans map/information played a vital roll in their eventual discovery.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........... I don't have to tell anybody here what Burt Webber and Mel Fisher went through before they were successful (and it was Eugene Lyons' research that pointed Fisher to the keys beyond Key West, instead of up the chain where he'd been looking all those years).

~The Old Bookaroo

I spoke with Mel, Pat, and Duncan Mathewson about the Atocha.

There were lots of Treasure Maps of the Atocha's approximate location that everyone missed because of the passing of time. The notation on the charts was "Marquesas Key", named after Lope Díez de Armendáriz, Marqués de Cadereyta fleet commander. Right out in plain sight. No one apparently asked the question, "Why is it named that?

So I have to agree with Scubafinder in that a treasure map doesn't have to be obvious, it just has to have some clues.

Treasure maps are what we're here for.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old names of locations, sometimes their true meanings/references are lost over time.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's called etymology - the study of the history of words, their origins, and how their form and meaning have changed over time.

Lots of things can be deduced from simple words.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aligator Reef - Florida - Named after the US Navy Schooner Alligator - Wrecked there in 1822

I believe that sort of thing is very common. Here are four in a 55 mile stretch from Alligator Reef to Fowey Rocks. All are named after historic shipwrecks.

shipwreck reefs, Florida Keys.png Mosquito Inlet to Key West, 1863

But to illustrate the folly of relying too heavily on any single source of information, H.M.S Fowey was NOT lost at Fowey Rocks. She was found around 7 miles south of Fowey Rocks near Triumph Reef (I would not be surprised if the genesis of that place name were shipwreck related as well).

Iteach

Jun 8, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Folks, apology for posting on old thread, but it's all new to me, and incredibly fascinating. I've been diving and fishing around treasure for the last 30 years, but never really knew or believed or had read about what's truly out there. Not to be long, but living in Steelers country, only getting to dive 4 days in a week's vacation ever year. I absolutely caught the fever this year when vacationing in Key West. I was out spearfishing Cosgrove Shoal and 10 miles to the W of that, and I believe I swam past and got on video one of the anchors from either the Atocha or Margarita, either way, I saw what appeared to be an old spanish anchor. Probably wasn't, but it has sparked my curiosity, I haven't read this much since college, but it's now about shipwrecks, maps, plotting and scheming and researching how I can better educate myself for when I retire down there in paradise somewhere, Bahamas, Keys, Panama, who knows, I have 10 more years of teaching to dream, research and plan for some day when I may actually get a chance to dive on history. I've often now considered volunteering during my summer on any salvage site or team or with any company, of course for free, but with incredible passion, very competent diving skills, and a dream of being involved in the thrill of the search with true experts, priceless to me.
Sorry, my point, please post any maps any of you guys might have, that "everyone else" would know about, but a newb like myself would absolutely treasure viewing and researching. Thanks. In particular, Cay Sal area ???
Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread