Novice in SW FL

SWFL Jim

Feb 24, 2007
SW Florida - Lee County
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Mag
This is a great site. Thanks to everyone for their contributions.

OK - so I moved to FL in 1979
got certified in 1980 (been doing a lot of beach dives in Venice)
Bought a sailboat suitable for extended coastal cruising
Bought an Avon w/15hp for a tender
Bought a Cobra Beach Mag (haven't used it yet)
Have been doing a little research
Now what? Anyone in Lee County? I think I'm ready to go!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Jim,

I’ve got a 40’ sailboat out of St. Pete. I’m new into the MD hobby as well. My wife and I are Geocachers and she Letterbox’s regularly. In a couple of weeks we will be sailing to Egmont Key and then Anclote Key for Geo’s and L’Box’s. While there I’m going to try out my Tesoro Tiger Shark. I hear they just replenished the beach on Egmont so I don’t know how that affects anything.

I would like to compare notes with you since your equipped basically the same as me for coastal cruising and treasure hunting.

I found an old navigation chart, 1622, that shows our anchorage at Anclote Key to be in the exact same place we use today. If they were using that spot in 1622…. Well then, the treasure bug doth strike!

Should you be sailing by, let me know, I would like to compare newby notes with you.

Larry
s/v AbbyGale

OP
OP
SWFL Jim

SWFL Jim

Feb 24, 2007
SW Florida - Lee County
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Mag
Hi Larry - Thanks for the response. I've heard of Geocaching, but had to Google Letterboxing. Both sound interesting, but I've always had the bug for treasure/artifacts.

From what I've been told, they've replenished Venice Beach a few times over the last several years, and beach hunting has suffered. We're still finding some nice fossils in 10 - 25 feet of water, about 100 - 300 yards off shore. Mostly small sharks teeth, but still finding the occasional Mega tooth, whale vertebrate, and assorted bones. When they replenish the beaches, do they pump the sand from just off shore? Maybe they expose more for us to find. Good luck! Do you plan to dive? Venice water temp was 64F today, about the same as it was the last time we got out there. It was first dive in water that cold. It as my last dive in water that cold.

Have a great voyage. If I ever put together a crew, perhaps we'll head your way. In the meantime, if you ever find AbbyGale in the Sanibel area, let me know. I'm about 9 miles NE of the Sanibel Bridge.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your hunting successes. As soon as I get out, I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
Jim

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Lemme see if I can upload this map image...

We are both certified divers. I'll let you know what I find and were. (unless it's Gasparillas lost billions) We are going to stumble around a bit learning, but that's half the fun. We are planning to head to the Keys/Tortugas this summer. I've wanted to Gunkhole in Sanibel, so on the way we will drop the hook and say hi.

Attachments

• Anclote.jpg
    Anclote.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 354

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jim and Larry, I live in Sarasota, used to live in Venice, grew up there. I have done a lot of diving in Venice, my dad had the first dive shop in Venice in the late 50s-early 60s. Before they pumped the beaches for the first time about 1989-1990, you could find a rock reef just offshore that was full of teeth and fossils, much more than offshore. The sand pumping comes from way offshore in pure sand so there is no teeth or fossils pumped up. Venice Beach used to produce sharks teeth right on the beach, sometimes big ones, but of course no more. I dont sail much anymore, I used to race, but dont have any sailboats now. I motor boat now, and usually dive out of Sarasota and Venice. I sometimes metal detect the beaches for jewelry, but not much. Usually just go over to the Treasure Coast after storms, but havent done well lately. Get in touch, Steve.

OP
OP
SWFL Jim

SWFL Jim

Feb 24, 2007
SW Florida - Lee County
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Mag
Steve:

Good to hear from you. I've often wondered about the beaches of Upper Captiva. What do you think? Ever try that area? I've heard that the Gasparilla area has produced some sharks teeth. Do you know anything about that? One of these days, I plan to sail that way for a weekend. I'll let you know.

Larry:

Nice chart! I had run into a link of old charts a while ago. If I ever find it again, I'll send it your way.
I haven't been to the Tortugas in almost two years. I crewed a race to Key West in '05, and then we took the Fast Cat over there. We used to sail there every year, but it was several years between. Our old entrance is gone, filled in with sand by the storms. You can now walk to the island next to it without getting your feet wet.
If you want a boat or two to tag a long, let me know. A few friends and I have been talking about making the trip. Maybe we can coordinate our schedules. I sail a Pearson 26, there's an Erickson 29 and Allied 33. Gotta run... Have fun!

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Hey Jim and s/v Abbygale,

Welcome to the forum. Like the Meg tooth Jim. I live in the Souther Coastal area of South Carolina and the rivers here are loaded with them. I have several in my collection in the 6" range. Hoping to find a few larger when the water gets a little warmer. Its down to 45 deg this year. I'll wait another month or so before I get back in.

Good Luck,

Robert in SC

OP
OP
SWFL Jim

SWFL Jim

Feb 24, 2007
SW Florida - Lee County
Detector(s) used
Cobra Beach Mag
Thanks Robert. Those Megas are getting harder to find around here. We've tried the Peace river once or twice, but no luck. There was a program on Discovery the other night that showed a group entering the river just where we did, but it looked like they went farther up river. To be honest, I would rather dive the Gulf and find little, than walk the river and find a Mega - not that those gators or snakes bother me. It's just that I would rather swim with the sharks. Happy Hunting - Jim

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Jim,

The rivers we dive here are all coastal salt water rivers. No gators or snakes at 35' under water! You can't find them here by walking on the banks unless its where they dumped dredge spoils or something and even then usually only little ones.

I can guarantee you will find teeth here. Here is a picture of one of my teeth. This one measures out at 5 7/8".

Robert in SC

index.php

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RGecy said:
Here is a picture of one of my teeth.

Wow, Robert. I knew you had bad teeth, bro, but showing them here on Tnet...c'mon... ;D

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have heard that Caspersons Beach, Manasota Beach are both good beaches, and they have not filled them. Thats the only reason they are good! I have not detected North Captiva or Sanibel. Any good rumors-PM me. I have heard a few.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread