The Fishers

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Aleman-
Lets see....I'll give you a personal history of working
with and around the Fishers. First time I've ever written this, so bear with me. No embellishment, all true, I swear! I havn't burnt any bridges with them, and several of the "tried and true" salvors read this site regularly, so
you can believe me when I say the following:
1984: My best friend Randy and I are "lifeguarding" on the Pier House topless beach on Key West, and one day he told me he had talked with Mel about working for them. Shortly thereafter, he quit the beach and disappeared out to the Atocha site for weeks at a time. I got regular reports from him...living on peanut butter sandwiches and diving & laboring on a variety of salvage boats operating at that time...Dauntless...Virgalona...Swordfish..Bookmaker et al.
1985: Kane Fisher found the Motherlode!! There were
silver bars piled up everywhere! Randy was gonna be rich!! The salvage operations continued for 2years or so on the "main pile". Randy ended up with an 80lb silver bar and a couple coins and some artifacts, and he was pleased. I got to go out to the site a few times, and was present when Johnny Carson showed up to soak up some limelight.
1990: Randy called me in Columbus Ohio where I was doing an Emergency Medicine Internship, and said he had a financial backer in Memphis who was willing to buy us a boat in Ft. Pierce which had been used on the 1715 fleet...and the backer (financier) had a pending contract to work the "emerald fields" on the Margarita
site in Key West. I went as soon as I could. We slaved on that 90 ft boat for 6 months getting it ready, and I got very little actual time aboard, but I did have some great times backin KW aboard a support boat prospecting in the Marquesas diving and magging prior to their arrival there. We kept our valuable mag in a closet actually in Mels office, so each day we were magging I got to talk with him, and he was quite informative and supportive (as well he would be, he reaped a hefty percentage of anything we found!)
Mels wife Deo (currently in Sebastion, FL and being looked after by Taffi, his daughter who oversees ops at the Treasure museum there) well, I avoided Deo like the plague 'cause she was in charge of keeping track of the divers and their credentials (dive certs, etc)....and I'm sad
to admit I had none...I kept telling her when caught in the hallway that they "were in the mail"...and she let me slide. I had been diving for 15 years with no actual didactic training, but I was pretty good at it. I DON"T RECOMMEND THIS. Perhaps my close encounter with death on the Margarita site wouldn't have happened if I had followed the rules taught in a PADI course. Randy and I were prospecting on the Margarita site after magging, and the current was, I swear, 5 knots. I pitched some leftover sandwich bread off the stern and it ZOOMED out of sight. So, we put a 200 ft tag line out with a lifejacket tied to it, so we could come up and grab it after detecting. Well, we came up, and the boat and tag line were just a dot on the horizon. And it was getting dark. No one on the boat. In that current, it was a 5 hour swim, after dropping all our valuable gear and keeping only speedo's and fins. I made it. Randy didn't. I found him later, barely alive. We don't discuss that much anymore, nasty day.
Much later: 1999: After having earned my 100 ton License I Captained a research vessel Harbor Branch Oceanographic back in FT Pierce for 5 years (great outfit!) and got laid off due to Clinton budget cuts...
So, I got hired on to crew with the legendary John Brandon, who operated a Fisher treasure vessel named Endeavor on the 1715 fleet. I crewed for him, under Fisher (Taffi and Kim) control for 2 years, with pretty good results. John consistently pulled up treasure day after day, primarily on the Nieves site (1715, Colored Beach) and my partner Chas and I got our fair share.
The Fishers dealt with us fairly and supported us financially and well.
2000: Greg Bounds, who had captained the Bookmaker for the Fishers for years on the 1715 fleet with much sucess (google him, amazing) Asked my pal Chas and myself to help him set up a salvage boat which we found in Taffi's backyard with (no kidding) trees growing in it. It had been one of Kane Fishers projects, now abandoned. We overhauled all systems, repowered itwith
Turbo Cat 3208 power and nursed it along on the 1715 fleet scatter patterns. Did a LOT of MAGGIN, and I got bored and tired of driving to Sebastian every mornin at 0600 But, one memorable day on the Goldhound I brought along old Randy (who was now teaching problem kids in Missouri) ....and we pulled up a bunch of
silver coins. I will always be thankful to Greg for his choice of salvage sites that day.
2006: January. Got a call from Morgan, Taffi Fisher's assistant, who told me a guy from Orlando had a treasure salvage boat that needed to be delivered to FT
Pierce from Daytona, and gave me his #. During the trip, he hired me to captain and dive for him, which sounded real interesting because he and his associates had developed an advanced side scan system which seems to work quite well. Again, under subcontract from the Fishers, things are going quite well. Maybe this is the BIG SUMMER.....we'll see.
I can recommend without reservation subcontracting
with the Fishers, either in Key West or on the 1715 fleet. They have consistently delivered on everything agreed upon, and treated me well. Many friends of mine feel the same. Good Luck in your adventures.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Awesome stories, Captain Skimmer! Thanks so much for sharing. Our little rag tag group will be subcontracting for the first time this year, and your testimony to the Fishers is appreciated and inspiring for us newbies.

Godspeed!
Darren

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
NC Darren-
I've read with inerest your posts on this site for quite a while, and I have a feeling you'll do OK this summer based on your obviously levelheaded and (ahem) sane
contributions. If I can help ya'll out in any way, let me know, OK? Also, I've got some dockspace here at my home, 1 mile from the FT Pierce inlet...but only if you really need it, on a temp basis till you find permanent dockage. The neighbors frown on docking work boats here (prima donna's.......(*&^%$ ) Anyway, feel free to PM me, I know a lot about this area and have some great contacts. Spring is coming!!!!

OP
OP
aleman

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Hello Capt Skimmer,
Thank you very much for your story!!!!!!!!! I guess if I would be in the states I would try it. It sounds like a great experiance. Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Skimmer said:
you'll do OK this summer based on your obviously levelheaded and (ahem)sane contributions.

Hmmm...if you only knew what I edited, you might change your mind ;D I hope we run across each other out there this season!

Darren

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Darren,
I know Kim Fisher and his wife .I taught Lee how to dive here in PA. and attended their wedding here. They are stand up people and I highly respect them. You couldn't find a better bunch to sub-contract for.

crzhors

Oct 29, 2006
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Excaliber,Pulse8X
Howdy Aleman, If you are serious about working with the Fishers,I can recommend them Highly. I worked for Kim in KW for the last 7 years on the JB Magruder.We have seen good times and some lean times.The boats go to sea every day safely possible.We have been averaging around 150 days at sea a year.The Atocha trail is enormous and we never come home empty handed.It is one huge puzzle and the only way to find the artifacts is good old Work! No detector will find the pieces under 6-15 ft of overburden...You gotta dig! This is a tight family you are talking about,and the treasure hunting community is a small handful of dedicated folks.There are a lot armchair hunters and there are the folks here on TreasureNet that are the DOers. Check out all the projects being discussed on TreasureNet, looking for a few good hands. Good luck, you can PM me if you want to, Like Kim said to me,"You won't find treasure sitting at the dock" regards, JD

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capt Skimmer, Tom, or other 1715 guys...

Our group has pretty much adopted the "Weller plan" for division...20% goes to the state, 40% to the Fishers, 40% to the group. Of the group's cut, 50% goes to investors, 25% to the divers of record and 25% to the company.

So how have you guys dealt with the asset issue? If a guy owns a boat, mag, condo, etc...how do you factor that value in? The asset doesn't belong to the group, but the individual(s). We have come up with a point system of value, but we'd be interested in hearing from some of you who've been there already ;) How does that value compute in the division?

Godspeed!
Darren

OP
OP
aleman

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Hello crzhors,
Thanks for the info. My Problem is that I'm not anywhere near to the US and tied up in Job for at least another year or two. But I can really see what Kim meant. I guess as soon as I'm back in Honduras where I used to live before taking up this Job, I will try to do a lot more search and research!!!!!!!
Thanks for all the info.... It's good to see that there are good people out there to work with!!!!
aleman

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Darren
I noticed where you were talking about splitting the proceeds and saw you had investors and was wondering if you were still looking for more investors?
Seahunter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread