Found this wreck (pile of ballast rocks and various items) in the Caribbean ...

OP
OP
B

BRUNO ST KITTS

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt its undisturbed, thats a large assumption being made it takes 2 weeks or so and the slime has regrown on disturbed stones, St.Kitts has a lot of moving sand, I thought I saw a brick in the photo, get the brick clean it and see if there is a name stamped into the brick, there is plenty of history on the wrecks around the island, St.Kitts has joined Unesco however. Go over to White House Beach and look at that naval ship and cannon scattered in the shallows the archeologists that excavated it left the timbers exposed after they had finished and its slowly been looted and destroyed since by mother nature, to clear a ballast pile the size in the photo should take you a day at best on your own, then what? I doubt you will find anything worthwhile vs the history that may be lost by not excavating it properly and recording it properly, at best sign up for a NAS course and learn to map the timbers and site so that others may learn from it, coins are so cheap online nowadays that just wiping history away for some fun seems silly?
St.Kitts has a lot of history and will keep you busy, my advice that unless you are certain you will retire from it, leave it be. You will know when you find a good site, and there are some around St.Kitts. Cheers

Thank you for your input. I am actually interested only from the historical perspective. I retired a few years ago (not from treasure hunting!). I am very familiar with the Whitehouse Bay wrecks (there are several of them) and I am in contact with various people who are involved in historical research and preservation here on the island. I have been crossing information from old maps, archives in Paris, various books and local people's input. You are correct, there is a lot to do in St Kitts for the person who takes an interest in historical heritage. You mention that there are some good sites around St Kitts and I would be curious to know more. Cheers.

Mud Skipper

Jun 12, 2013
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter
Detector Pro
Pulse 8X
Aquapulse 1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bruno
I would look into the history surrounding The Owen Brothers I believe they hid around Sandy Point - there is no doubt that some of the loot is buried around there, perhaps "Diep Bay" I may have it wrong a good source for accurate info would be the Author John Armhein you can find him on the net, he has a lot of research on this particular piece of history. Another amazing wreck to find would be one of Blackbeards - sunk off of the Fort towards Sandy Point, you could contact QAR for reference on this, it would be in deep water and make one of the most amazing finds, my guess is if you line up with st.Kitts Marine works you look towards Sandy area right on or around the dropp off under the Fort range is where she is along with dozens of other boats thats for sure! Good Luck

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, They make prescription infills for diving masks...

I will tell you what I have, after the patent is approved!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Red, you can always select a large mask and wear your own glasses underwater, I have seen this loads of times. No good with binoculars though LOL😊

OP
OP
B

BRUNO ST KITTS

Tenderfoot
Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bruno
I would look into the history surrounding The Owen Brothers I believe they hid around Sandy Point - there is no doubt that some of the loot is buried around there, perhaps "Diep Bay" I may have it wrong a good source for accurate info would be the Author John Armhein you can find him on the net, he has a lot of research on this particular piece of history. Another amazing wreck to find would be one of Blackbeards - sunk off of the Fort towards Sandy Point, you could contact QAR for reference on this, it would be in deep water and make one of the most amazing finds, my guess is if you line up with st.Kitts Marine works you look towards Sandy area right on or around the dropp off under the Fort range is where she is along with dozens of other boats thats for sure! Good Luck

Thank you Mud Skipper, I am going to look into that.

Mud Skipper

Jun 12, 2013
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter
Detector Pro
Pulse 8X
Aquapulse 1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave Moore on the QAR would be a great source for the site off Sandy Point under the fort...another of Blackbeards boats...go get it!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, you can always select a large mask and wear your own glasses underwater, I have seen this loads of times. No good with binoculars though LOL
I've heard about using your own glasses. I'm not sure of the best way to mount them though...but from what you say just get a large enough mask.....:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red, They make prescription infills for diving masks...

I will tell you what I have, after the patent is approved!
I think I've heard that also, thanks!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SADS, I learned that my vision for 3 feet and closer is much better than with the prescription glasses. Although my vision isn't very good, as to side vision but still when my glasses got severely scratched...I could walking cross a highway and look for traffic without them. I have new prescription glasses and I've been doing all the sketch artwork with NO glasses. So, underwater closer than 3 feet would be ok or better only using a plain face mask.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have dive buddy's that wear glasses but a dive mask will maginfy your vision 25% underwater. So when a spear fisherman tells me he speared a 4 foot fish, I know it's just 3'.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use that small hill their to help you. I would make up something. Even swim rocks down a well greased roller shoot. [ Like at the food store] Steel grabs but s/s doesn't.$$$. That's a lot of rocks to walk over and move off the site. For who knows what. But if you make up something that works. Them you can save time, air, attitude and make this easier. You can also use it at your next ballast pile. To bad theirs not a underwater tread mill you could use. Ha Ha Old Treadmills work great for moving logs into the basement. Ha Ha If you have two people. Use a couple nets and a air bag. Use a quick release or tie net with rope you can cut and retie. One guy can move it off the site and dump while another is loading another net. Might not help. But something to think about.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dive buddy's that wear glasses but a dive mask will maginfy your vision 25% underwater. So when a spear fisherman tells me he speared a 4 foot fish, I know it's just 3'.
A little magnification doesn't hurt. I use a magnifier for reading very small print without my glasses and is better than reading only with glasses up close.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
resurrection of a 3 year old thread on a wreck...

for mask glasses?

what about the wreck? :violent1:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread