College the future and beyond

AA23

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok so i am currently 17 years old, and just entering the spring smester of my junior year in high school but everyone around me has been telling me it is time to start looking at colleges and careers, now i know what i want to do, i want to work with shipwrecks and i love/excell at history and i love scube/snorkeling so i am leaning towards a degree in archaeology more specifically nautical archaeology but i am quite unaware of what most universitys have to offer in that department. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas or even if u just know about a school with a good archaeology program please let me know thanks

-Whipper Snapper (austin)

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
W/S: Welcome to the Net! To answer your question, I believe that Texas A&M- College Station has the best Naut.
Archaeology Program! Also check into Colorado Tech. Best of Luck!

HH Joe

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Where do you live, Austin? East Carolina University has an extensive maritime archaeology program as well as being next to the Graveyard of the Atlantic.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
Believe that cape fear tech has a good program, there student won a award over student from MIT& Harvard. It locate in Wilmington n.c. right on the coast.

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
buscadero said:
W/S: I believe that Texas A&M- College Station has the best Naut.
Archaeology Program!
I think you will find that A&M department in galverston.

V

OP
OP
AA23

AA23

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i live in colorado right now, but i would no problem whatsoever going out of state, actually i was planning on it

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whipper snapper, With your list of likes don't overlook a career as a "Conservator".

Ed D.

OP
OP
AA23

AA23

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like i said im just getting started looking, could u give me an explanation of what a conservator does?

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Conservator preserves artifacts. Anything from art and coins, to cannons and swords. A great job for a history buff and diver.

Ed D.

Donovan

Jun 10, 2005
Florida State University has a good program with lots of field work and plenty of sites to explore. Several other schools in Fla. also have good programs with lots of hands on work.
Best of luck to you.
Donovan

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
Whipper Snapper,
All of the replies here listing schools are right on the mark. As archaeology is a sub-discipline of anthropology, I would suggest that you start boning up on general anthropology. I recommend reading "Anthropology" 9th or 10th editions, Haviland, as a primer to Anthropology and all of its sub-disciplines. I am 45 years old and have been interested in becoming an "Archy" in my old age but don't have the time to go to college and I can't find online courses in Anthropology or Archaeology (I live in Egypt). I would also suggest that you take a course designed to train non-Archy's to assist trained Underwater Archy's in conducting surveys and excavation of underwater cultural heritage. Learning a second, or even a third language can be extremely useful when conducting archival research. Language to learn depends on which era, period, and/or geographical location that you decide to specialize in (Ancient Greek for the Mycenean and Hellenistic periods, Ancient Egyptian for Egyptology, Dutch for the VOC ships, Spanish for South and Central America,for example). A couple of Geology courses, Chemistry, Biology, and Statistical Analysis. Since I'm not going to college at this time, I read all of the books that I can get my hands on based on the required reading lists from various colleges. I have Archy friends here in Egypt as well, that tell me what I need, or don't need. I'm also am sure that there are others here that are more qualified than I to give you advice here. In the end, just by reading and learning about Anthropology and Archaeology on my own, it has given me a greater appreciation of what I'm looking at and finding when I drop in on any one of the myriad of wrecks and historical sites that we have here on the North Coast of Egypt (Pharonic to Post-modern sites). Reading books by George Bass of the INA, Ballard (of Titanic fame), Mel Fisher, and others like them, are also of great help in understanding the processes involved in the research of, survey and excavation of, and conservation and preservation of underwater cultural heritage. So, if you do decide to become and Underwater Archy, I wish you all the best in your endeavors.

Mike

OP
OP
AA23

AA23

Apr 24, 2005
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow first of all i have to say how lucky i think u are for living in egypt because that would be a blast im sure second i can tell we seem to think along the same lines, i have already completed the only anthropology class currently offered at my high school but i am a frequent visitor to my local library and book stores and there is always a stack of books somewhere in my room covering a variety of historical or nautically related subjects

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread