Gulf Blockade Runners Sunk or Destroyed by Year, 1861-1865

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Click to enlarge

Gulf Blockade runners 1.png Gulf Blockade runners 2.png gulf blockade runners 3.png gulf blockade runners 4.png gulf blockade runners 5.png gulf blockade runners 6.png

Anyone interested in following up on these leads is strongly encouraged to consult the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion.

The volumes are organized chronologically and by region. Here is the link to the Cornell University website: Browse | Cornell University Library Making of America Collection

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Jolly Mon, I'm sure everybody that's interested in Civil War wrecks is aware of this resource. The problem is that the "Official Record of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion" is widely available (in every public library) but vague on the specific location of shipwrecks. One example is that the wreck of the Dudley destroyed on June 16, 1863 at Cedar Keys by the USS Hatteras. The area of Cedar Keys encompasses over 110 square miles. Where do you begin?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The USS HATTERAS was sunk off of Galveston,by the CSS ALABAMA,Jan 11,1863,and still is there,in 60 ft of water,and is property of the US Navy.
The USS Hatteras did raid Cedar Key,Jan 15-16,1862,and captured and/or burned all the blockade runners at that harbor.
Needless to say,the Hatteras was NOT at Cedar Key,June 1863-similar to the ABBEY BEE/USS SAGAMORE tale (detailed on a previous thread)the date given for this event in the Gulf,the Sagamore was in Philadelphia.
Solid research is where to begin.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Jolly Mon, I'm sure everybody that's interested in Civil War wrecks is aware of this resource. The problem is that the "Official Record of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion" is widely available (in every public library) but vague on the specific location of shipwrecks. One example is that the wreck of the Dudley destroyed on June 16, 1863 at Cedar Keys by the USS Hatteras. The area of Cedar Keys encompasses over 110 square miles. Where do you begin?

It seems to me there are quite a few "newbies" who read these threads and some might not be aware of all the great resources available. Some people may not even be aware they are interested in Civil War era wrecks yet. I am just an amateur and basically make posts for other amateurs.

Thank god we don't have to visit a library and look through hard copies! I really like the searchable data base Cornell provides. It turns what otherwise might take hours into a search of a few minutes.

As far as Dudley is concerned, the ORUCN make your scenario with the Hatteras impossible, as ECS has pointed out. The OR's are certainly a mixed bag...sometimes they are vague in the extreme...at other times they can lead you right to a wreck site. At the very least they almost always provide potential leads to be followed up.

Dudley was torched by the Federals at the little harbor of Cedar Key in 1862 along with several other vessels. I Imagine the federals would have simply burned her at the wharf, which could have been at Cedar Key or at Depot Key. They also might have simply torched them and set them adrift...

cedar key 5 map.gif Cedar Keys, FL. 1861

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Depot Key is now known as Atsena Otie,and can be accessed by kayak.On the key is an old cemetary,a cistern,remains of the original village,and the ruins of the Farber Mill,destroyed by the hurricane of 1896.Many schooners and other vessels were lost at Cedar Key during that hurricane,including the BELLE OF SUWANNEE streamboat,whose both smokestacks were blown away.
Back to the USS HATTERAS raid,This is the account given by Geo F Emmons,Commander,USS Hatteras:
http://www.civilwar-online.com/2012/01/january-16-1862-uss-harreras-raids.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread