Anyone has plans to make some kind of deflector for outboard engine to move sand

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
I was wondering if anyone here has some kind of plans for an attachment to move sand from an outboard engine? I don't really want some big blower because I have a small boat and I want to attach it underwater so no one will see it from the surface. Some kind of deflector device. I was wondering doesn't moving sand screw up the engine because the sand goes into the cooling system and get stuck? Also, is moving sand illegal? Just wondering because the ocean moves sand everyday with wave action!! I would like to use PVC or something that I don't have to weld the less complicated the better. Any suggestions would be very appreciated!! ???

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hi-
I have a nice stainless steel custom attachment for an outboard, with a pvc sewer pipe (large diameter...14", i think) elbow. E-mail me for specifics...and, where are you located? I really don't want to sell it, but we could agree on a loan for the summer.
Yes, you're right about the cooling system sucking in stirred up sand while blowng holes, but if you put ordinary panty hose over the lower unit while blowing, and watch for any decrease in H20 from the "pee-hole" of the ouboard, you can do this. I have, with some sucess. Also, short of overheating and ruining your motor, which can be avoided by the aforementioned watching the "telltale" water output....the only other sand intake damage would be the water pump impeller, and those are pretty cheap, comparatively speaking.
Mike

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hey- also...if you're not in south FL like I am...in a few days I could post photo's of the rig for you to look at and reproduce. My girlfriend is in Hawaii with my digital camera at the moment, but she's back on Wed., so I could do it then. The stainless steel "bolt on" portion of the rig is pretty difficult to duplicate if you'e not a pro welder...its nice, has a sort of a "gate" that closes and locks on the lower unit. I've used it on my 200 hp evinrude, and also on a 175. Its configured like most lower units, so it'll probably be able to adapt to most any motor with a little elbow grease. [email protected]

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Divedigger- As I said earlier- Sheri will be back with my digitalcamera on the 14th...E-mail me at the address on my earlier post...I'll send you several pics which should allow you to duplicate this rig. It works, and no damage to my outboards happened.
I'm working a large inboard this year, so the rig is just sitting in my shed...
I have found, in shallow (5-7 feet) of water, that this works really well. Deeper water requires more HP and larger props. Outboards just don't have the "OOMPH" required for deeper digging.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
I was a commercial fisherman for a number of years, we used the prop to wash clams out of the sand. if you use outboard set the engines so it at a deeper angel on the prop. then sink down the stern of the boat. then you need to anchor the boat from the stern to keep it from moving. yes it will cause wear on the cooling system just shorten the life by half

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Hey...no kidding..just snag a pair of your girlfriends pantyhose and pull it over the lower unit (raw water intake) of your ouboard, AND watch the output stream for any decrease...stop blowing and clear the intake if any decrease in output. Works like a charm...and (lord help me) smells nice too!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I know that everyone is lookin for a deflector for their Ocean going boat but today I saw something strange. It was a JET drive boat on a trailer with a deflector heading south on I-95. The deflector looked like it was made from THICKWALLED PVC. MAN I BET THIS WOULD BLOW A HOLE IN NO TIME FLAT IN SHALLOW WATER.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread