Last edited:
OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are !715 Fleet leased sites, then you have the untouched wreck site, where nobody can touch it except a state archie.

oh,ok so it can be done? to get recovery permit for those sites and some would need an archie there?

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok,so a recovery permit is still avail but some need an archie?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
There are !715 Fleet leased sites, then you have the untouched wreck site, in waters (not mentioning where) nobody can touch it except a state archie or some university team funded by a grant.
Looks like Pope got a permit for a 1715 wreck .
Nassau Sound is known for its tricky waters to navigate, shark infestations and a remote, narrow pass where the Nassau River meets the Atlantic Ocean. Doug Pope also sees the sound as a possible site of treasure from the long-lost Spanish galleon San Miguel that wrecked in 1715. Pope is president of Amelia Research & Recovery LLC, based in Fernandina Beach, and his quest to find the San Miguel’s loot is the basis of his business.
Pope said the find of a jeweler’s furnace in 1993 near Amelia Island is believed to be from the ship that was part of a fleet of about a dozen that went down during a hurricane nearly 300 years ago. The treasure salvaging season for Pope commences in about two weeks, when area waters are most calm.
Curious Britannia, a historical research organization in the United Kingdom, estimates the lost San Miguel treasure with gold and silver bars along with coins, jewels and other valuables to have a value of up to $2 billion. The organization’s website, www.aquiziam.com/top-ten-lost-treasures.html, named the San Miguel as potentially one of the most valuable shipwrecks that has yet to be recovered.
“You got to be excited. There’s a lot of anticipation this year,” Pope said last week. “We’ve got a little more research leaning toward where the San Miguel is and the value of it.”
A retired U.S. Army helicopter pilot who also does commercial work, Pope is confident his business of about 15 employees may be on the verge of a major find, but his current outlook came only after years of struggle, persistence and optimism — a prerequisite in the treasure salvaging business.
Amelia Research & Recovery now has assets valued at $2.3 million. Just to get ready for this treasure hunting season, Pope spent about $85,000 to have his 71-foot vessel, the Polly-L, overhauled at the Clay County Port marina in Green Cove Springs, where the ship is currently moored.
The Polly-L resembles a barge with three large, adjustable pilings that often elevate and lower the hull after the pilings are planted on the ocean floor.
And then there’s meeting government regulations.
The permitting process of any treasure salvage operation is complicated. Treasure hunters can’t simply throw a bucket over the side of a boat and drag the ocean floor.
Treasure hunters have to submit permit applications to the Florida Department of Environmental Regulation, which has other branch divisions within to review the proposed work. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers also is involved in the review process. There also are historical and archaeological regulations that stipulate what’s to be done with relics once they’re found.
The DEP and federal regulators have signed off on Pope’s project. He said the state’s willingness to endorse the hunt represents a shift in the government’s posture.
“The entire attitude toward the treasure industry has improved,” Pope said. “We were just treated like stepchildren before. Now we’re treated like business people.”
The thawing of relations between the state government and treasure salvagers was evident, Pope said, when Gov. Rick Scott hosted some of the state’s most prominent hunters at a reception April 2 at the governor’s mansion.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
There are !715 Fleet leased sites, then you have the untouched wreck site, in waters (not mentioning where) nobody can touch it except a state archie or some university team funded by a grant.
Looks like Pope got a permit for a 1715 wreck

. Nassau Sound is known for its tricky waters to navigate, shark infestations and a remote, narrow pass where the Nassau River meets the Atlantic Ocean. Doug Pope also sees the sound as a possible site of treasure from the long-lost Spanish galleon San Miguel that wrecked in 1715. Pope is president of Amelia Research & Recovery LLC, based in Fernandina Beach, and his quest to find the San Miguel’s loot is the basis of his business. Pope said the find of a jeweler’s furnace in 1993 near Amelia Island is believed to be from the ship that was part of a fleet of about a dozen that went down during a hurricane nearly 300 years ago. The treasure salvaging season for Pope commences in about two weeks, when area waters are most calm. Curious Britannia, a historical research organization in the United Kingdom, estimates the lost San Miguel treasure with gold and silver bars along with coins, jewels and other valuables to have a value of up to $2 billion. The organization’s website, www.aquiziam.com/top-ten-lost-treasures.html, named the San Miguel as potentially one of the most valuable shipwrecks that has yet to be recovered. “You got to be excited. There’s a lot of anticipation this year,” Pope said last week. “We’ve got a little more research leaning toward where the San Miguel is and the value of it.” A retired U.S. Army helicopter pilot who also does commercial work, Pope is confident his business of about 15 employees may be on the verge of a major find, but his current outlook came only after years of struggle, persistence and optimism — a prerequisite in the treasure salvaging business. Amelia Research & Recovery now has assets valued at $2.3 million. Just to get ready for this treasure hunting season, Pope spent about $85,000 to have his 71-foot vessel, the Polly-L, overhauled at the Clay County Port marina in Green Cove Springs, where the ship is currently moored. The Polly-L resembles a barge with three large, adjustable pilings that often elevate and lower the hull after the pilings are planted on the ocean floor. And then there’s meeting government regulations. The permitting process of any treasure salvage operation is complicated. Treasure hunters can’t simply throw a bucket over the side of a boat and drag the ocean floor. Treasure hunters have to submit permit applications to the Florida Department of Environmental Regulation, which has other branch divisions within to review the proposed work. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers also is involved in the review process. There also are historical and archaeological regulations that stipulate what’s to be done with relics once they’re found. The DEP and federal regulators have signed off on Pope’s project. He said the state’s willingness to endorse the hunt represents a shift in the government’s posture. “The entire attitude toward the treasure industry has improved,” Pope said. “We were just treated like stepchildren before. Now we’re treated like business people.” The thawing of relations between the state government and treasure salvagers was evident, Pope said, when Gov. Rick Scott hosted some of the state’s most prominent hunters at a reception April 2 at the governor’s mansion.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, maybe the state and federal agencies have become a little more user friendly, compared to a few years back. I'm open to change, as long as it helps us treasure hunters. :thumbsup:

captaindbz

Mar 12, 2014
Sanford, Fl
Detector(s) used
Aqua Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well Buccaneer alot of what I just read up above makes little sense to me.
The facts on the 1715 fleet off Florida's treasure coast are this. The lease to work the sites between Ft Pierce And Vero Beach are owned by Queens Jewels LLC
They do allow contractors to work there sites with a contract. Seven of the eleven boats are well known and charts can be gotten from them.
Our boat alone the "AARRR BOOTY" found almost a half million in gold just last season not to mention the 50+ 2 escudos that the Capitana found.
Good luck with your treasure finding endeavors.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Well Buccaneer alot of what I just read up above makes little sense to me. The facts on the 1715 fleet off Florida's treasure coast are this. The lease to work the sites between Ft Pierce And Vero Beach are owned by Queens Jewels LLC They do allow contractors to work there sites with a contract. Seven of the eleven boats are well known and charts can be gotten from them. Our boat alone the "AARRR BOOTY" found almost a half million in gold just last season not to mention the 50+ 2 escudos that the Capitana found. Good luck with your treasure finding endeavors.

captainbz, I think it would make sense if you knew that he was talking about a 1715 that is not owned by Queens Jewels. It is apparently what Jim Sinclair thinks is a 1715 wreck that is virgin and a salvage permit has been applied for by an unknown company or individual. Just like Pope applied for a permit for what he thinks is a 1715 wreck in Florida waters near Georgia.

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok,thankyou,does anybdy know if the boat IRON MAIDEN is out there trying to salvage or discover ?

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well, maybe the state and federal agencies have become a little more user friendly, compared to a few years back. I'm open to change, as long as it helps us treasure hunters. :thumbsup:

It was Rick Scott.
He's a major ideologue for better and for worse. For better, he realizes that stupid bureaucracy and 'academia' is a vastly less efficient means of recovering history than private individuals and entities. With the proper laws and safeguards in place (which there are), letting treasure hunters hunt treasure gets 100X more done compared to leaving it all up to college professors on sporadically funded overnight field trips.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well Buccaneer alot of what I just read up above makes little sense to me. The facts on the 1715 fleet off Florida's treasure coast are this. The lease to work the sites between Ft Pierce And Vero Beach are owned by Queens Jewels LLC They do allow contractors to work there sites with a contract. Seven of the eleven boats are well known and charts can be gotten from them. Our boat alone the "AARRR BOOTY" found almost a half million in gold just last season not to mention the 50+ 2 escudos that the Capitana found. Good luck with your treasure finding endeavors.

Read up on the 1715 fleet.
Nobody's talking about the Treasure Coast wreck sites.

OP
OP
B

buccaneer1961

Mar 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now im confused...whats the difference between the 2?

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was Rick Scott.
He's a major ideologue for better and for worse. For better, he realizes that stupid bureaucracy and 'academia' is a vastly less efficient means of recovering history than private individuals and entities. With the proper laws and safeguards in place (which there are), letting treasure hunters hunt treasure gets 100X more done compared to leaving it all up to college professors on sporadically funded overnight field trips.

Academia is simply the wrong institution for recovery.

I think that a properly constructed cooperating relationship is the best structure for doing this. The Brits do this much better than we do.

The problem over here is the whole archie dogma, and they're unwilling to change.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the key words ARE * SALVAGE PERMIT * --only a salvage permit allows you to remove and sell items * so sure the state will issue(sell you) all the "exploration" permits ya want --sure spend money and do all their "research" for them (you must share all data gathered with the state) but when it comes time for you to haul up the goodies and get paid -- no "salvage permit" will be forthcoming from them --they been stringing out companies for the last 20 years like this by issing "exploration permits" but no" salvage permits" -- like a "tease" date that gets you to spend lots of money on her by whispering sweet nothings in your ear then leaves you hard up as she fails to "deliver".

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
pope had a permit issued long ago for the Nassau sound area that was "voided" by the state --who said it should not have been "issued" for that area to start with (the state said it is a part of the "aquatic preserve area)--so in effect the "state archie dept . "owed" pope one * -- with the fact that the state had not issued a "new" salvage permit in about 20 years after they lost the big mel fisher case--the archies were very bitter --- --in which the judge spelled out that the state WAS to set up a permitting process to issue permits * --several big name salvage people recently visited the governor and told him it was time for the state to get right or get sued.--shortly afterward pope got his "permit" from toward the south end running up the coast of Amelia island --but not in "the sound" itself .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
1715 era coins and goods similar to those found on the southern 1715 fleet wrecksites have been found at the Nassau sound inlet area * --in a "ps" at the end of a oct 24th , 1715 letter from govenor of Virginia Alexander Spotswood to lord stanhope of England -- HE spells out just what it was -- in the PS it states that a "barcolonga" (type of small ship ) was sent from Havana Cuba to the 1715 fleet wrecksite to pick up VIP's and royal treasure from the wrecksites , and that it sank about 40 miles from St Augustine (Nassau sound) Spotswood knows this is within Spanish claimed waters but asks Stanhope to ask the king for "royal permission" to go after it.-- --this boat would be very rich indeed -- pope seems to think it's one of the 2 missing original fleet vessels --either the tabacco hauler san Miguel --or the vessel known as "el ciervo" the french prize vessel . (they think its the SAN MIGUEL.)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ivan,

Has this boat been salvaged by the Spanish?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
not to the best of my knowledge it wasn't * the English knew of the whereabouts of the wrecked vessel * (I think that silver raiders headed from the colony of Virginia found the nassau sound wreck site while headed southward toward the more southerly "1715 fleet wreck sites and found dead or dying Spanish wrecked people --or killed them off once they knew iit had not been "recorded" as to what had occurred) so either way I don't think there was any Spanish survivors to tell the tale of where it was "lost at" to the Spanish for them to attempt any salvage --- for a wreck to be salvaged by the Spanish it had to have a "living witness or survivor" to pass on its location

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I was basically told by the ranking archie in charge that if I applied using my data along with a university to get a "salvage permit" using funds available from the "govt" ==where the university and state were to get all the recovered items --that my claim as to be the "finder" of what type of vessel the wreck was , and where it came from and the "history of it" would be upheld --and that I could earn money via "book and movie rights' but none of the treasure recovered would be mine * I told them to stick that deal where the sun don't shine and that if they went after it without me getting a "fair deal" I would sue -- I then put forth my info --out into the public via a local newspaper article that spelled things out quite clearly --so they could not try to "take credit" for the very information that I had to share with them while seeking a permit . --- I have been told that due to the location of my site being within Nassau sound (aquatic preserve zone)--that they WILL NEVER issue a permit for that spot --EVER.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread