NC-to-FL Divers

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Hi Folks,

Sure, I know there's probably a forum for introductions, but all the divers hang out here!

I'm located in WNC: a little far from the ocean but I'm kinda used to long drives. Advanced open water certified with own gear and about 150 dives logged since I got back into it a few years ago. Prefer diving in the Caribbean (and in the NC gulf stream!) but I've also done a fair bit of "cold and dark" diving in New England.

Some of you seem to be having far too much fun and I'd love to get involved. Interested in meeting any of the NC-SC-GA-FL crowd to blow some bubbles, lend a hand with projects, learn more about MD/TH, or even just drink a beer and tell some lies!

Reply here, Pm, or email me at [email protected]

Thanks.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to the forum.......

well you have come to the right place just by reading the old threads you will learn allot....Enjoy

All the best,

Chagy from Florida

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
Welcome to T-net. Whether you participate from your lazy boy or get wet with us you'll enjoy it. Like Chagy said you can learn volumes by going back through some of the old threads.

Regards,
Brad

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
hello Bob,I live near Southport,NC,what is WNC?welcome aboard,you will learn a lot here.I certainly have

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It took me a moment, too, DD but I think he means Western NC. :)

OP
OP
NC_Bob

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Drive all night, dive all day; sleep is _so_ overrated!

But yeah, Western NC it is. Asheville to be a bit more precise. Actually, the older I get the harder the crazy weekend trips seem to be getting, but thankfully my work schedule is reasonably flexible and I can often start the weekend Friday lunchtime and stretch it into Monday. I guess the closest coast is in SC, but the 6 hours to much of the NC coast isn't too bad--and we love living near the mountains as well so it's all good.

Thanks for saying 'Hi.' I'm enjoying reading what's here and learning plenty of new and often surprising stuff. Lots of questions, but the answers are probably here so I'll hold off on asking for a while.

Bob.

transplant

Dec 26, 2006
N.C. Bob Lived in black mtn. for about 18 yrs and you are right it a long drive. the older you get the longer it gets

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Yeah! Why IS that drive getting so long??? Jeeeze.
I'm only 50. I can remember (uh-oh...I'm sounding like my Dad) anyway....I used to slave for a 12 hour shift in the Emergency Dept. in Columbus Ohio, get off at 7 AM...and drive straight through back to Key West to dive, (and ahem, party) all weekend with my pals. Now...its all I can do to hose off the (*&^%$ boat before noon.

OP
OP
NC_Bob

NC_Bob

Mar 9, 2007
WNC
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Transplant... we loved Black Mtn when we first visited, but couldn't find the right situation there and ended up in Leicester. Transplanted from (?) Black Mtn. to where?

Skimmer: where the (*&^%$ is your (*&^%$ boat anyhow? Maybe I can help wash the (*&^%$ thing if I help get the (*&^%$ thing covered in salt and mud...

Cgardner

Tenderfoot
Apr 15, 2007
Hi everyone,

I live in Charlotte, NC so the drive to the beach isnt nearly as far, and I am really intrested in both history and the prospect of finding new wrecks. However I have never been diving, only snorkeling; but I am going to Hawaii this summer for two weeks with the family before heading to college and plan to get certified out there.

I am dying to get out in the waters but I am kind of concered... I know when I sit on the beach in Myrtle Beach, SC or out on the Outerbanks of NC the waters always look horribly cloudy. When you get deeper does it really clear up enough to see more than 2 ft infront of you, because I dont really want a shark sneaking up on me?

And can anyone refer me to somewhere where I might be able to do some research on wrecks that haven't been found in NC? or even across the US, I may talk to some people in Hawaii about diving on some wrecks while there?

Thanks for the help.
Cameron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread