LCM MK-1 (revisited)

Narked1

Oct 11, 2005
Alexandria, Egypt
All,
For those of you that followed my attempts here in Egypt to conduct a predisturbance survey on a possibly undocumented Landing Craft, Mechanized, MK-1, the saga continues albeit with a diversion from the original focus of doing a survey. Found that it was easier to open up my own dive center on the North Coast of Egypt instead in order to get all of the proper permits to dive on what the Egyptian Government considers an archaeological site (meaning that ALL of the North Coast of Egypt is considered to be an archaeological site according to the Egyptian government). However, the Ministry of Tourism here wants to promote diving on the North Coast to generate tourist revenue. The dive center opened last month and I have been in heaven ever since! Unlimited access to all of the wrecks on the North Coast! Maybe not much treasure to be had (taking things out of the water is forbidden under Egyptian law), but it is absolutely amazing what is out there!...and much of it isn't properly documented or well known by anyone but the locals.

Will eventually get around to doing the survey on the LCM, but in the meantime, have dove on two submarines (Italian...with one being a potential penetration dive), the wreck of the L'Orient (Napolean's flagship at the Battle of the Nile) again, legally this time, a couple of container ships, and next week we are planning on diving on the wrecks of Sollum. Of which, there are 13 WWII wartime wrecks sitting just offshore!

As an amatuer Underwater Archy, this is exciting stuff for me personally! In the meantime, the dive center is starting out quite well as there is only one other dive enterprise located on the North Coast of Egypt (Google Search: Alexandra Dive) so competition is minimal.

So, next time anyone comes to Egypt to dive on wrecks let me know. Will hook you guys and gals up for super-cheap (meaning free diving) and my partner will hate me! ;D Or you can check my forum at "www.alexandriawreckdivers.com". Sometimes it's up, sometimes it's down because I'm still using a free domain.

Mike

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations Mike your hard work is starting to pay dividends, keep at it and keep us posted.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike, sounds like the makings of a really good book to me, "Wrecks of The Egyptian North Coast"...I'd buy a copy. If I ever find myself in northern Egypt, I'll definitely look you up. Congrats on doing all the hard work, and having the patience to wait for it to finally pay off...I'm impressed....and a little jealous. :D

Jason

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Hi Mike,

Congrats on the divecenter - the best of luck to you and your partner.

Did you ever find out more on the LCM? If not then try to ask in the forum at the www.warsailors.com. They seem to be very wise on WW2.

BR
V

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Mike I was offered a job by a Major Oil Company to guard the pipe lines but there was one question that they asked. The question was this:
You are by yourself guarding a pipe line and 100 Arabs come running over the dunes -What would you do?
My answer was THERE WOULD BE 101 OF US RUNNING.
I did not get the job ::) ;D ;D
Peg leg

Voldbjerg

Feb 9, 2006
Peg Leg said:
Mike I was offered a job by a Major Oil Company to guard the pipe lines but there was one question that they asked. The question was this:
You are by yourself guarding a pipe line and 100 Arabs come running over the dunes -What would you do?
I did not get the job ::) ;D ;D
Peg leg

They propably didn't think you could run fast enough with just one leg ;)

V

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Peg Leg said:

ROTFL!!!

I wouldn't have gotten the job, either!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions