Ideas for searching just off the beach...

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
I was just wondering if there are any techniques a salvor can use in shallow water. I think that the shallow waters near beach along the 1715 wrecks may hold significant treasure. Im just not sure how to do it other than just MDing. Boats and blowers aren't practical in these type of conditions.

Any thoughts?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I was just wondering if there are any techniques a salvor can use in shallow water. I think that the shallow waters near beach along the 1715 wrecks may hold significant treasure. Im just not sure how to do it other than just MDing. Boats and blowers aren't practical in these type of conditions.

Any thoughts?
I have a thought. Don't do it or you might end up in jail. You need a sub contract from the owner of the 1715 claim or you risk a fine, jail or both. On the beach up to the dunes you're fine.

OP
OP
R

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
Would not attempt anything without becoming a sub....

I just need a plan for exploiting these areas that might work.

Small dredge of some sort?

Idk.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Raddoc I thought about doing the same thing. They say the waters just off the beach have never been worked and are filled with treasure. I would use a Keene vacuum dredge. It's perfect for shallow water.

OP
OP
R

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
I'm thinking the same thing. I have a beach house that is literally next to the Cabin wreck. I'm thinking there is treasure between the first and second reef. I wonder if Brisben will let me subcontract using a dredge? I can't see a downside for him...

Un-shore

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need help let me know, all I ask is a smaller than small piece of the find. Mostly in it for the bragging rights but need a small token for proof. 8^)

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Raddoc the Brisbens will let you use any kind of dredge you want. With a sub-contract you get a dredge permit. I have a Keene 6" vacuum dredge and it's a real hog! I was thinking about working between the shoreline and the first reef. This is virgin sand that no one has touched. Art Hartman tried it back in the 90's using a jet boat. His boat was throwing up coins on the beach and some beachgoers would grab them and run!

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I still believe that for "up on the beach' depths on the highly regulated Treasure Coast wrecks, that using:
1. a Flyboard-type rig moored offshore in clean water
(See Flyboards here: Zapata's outrageous, US$6,600 Flyboard - Aquaman meets Iron Man and here:FLYBOARD® Official by Zapata Racing -Zapata Racing)
2. A good stout pontoon boat with twin outboards, preferably all metal construction and a boom mounted forward to which the Flyboard nozzle is attached and positioned flowing downwards
3. Maybe spuds on the pontoon boat (barge) to steady it in the surf zone?
would be a most effective method of getting water to move sand in the shallows.

Last edited:

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I still believe that for "up on the beach' depths on the highly regulated Treasure Coast wrecks, that using:
1. a Flyboard-type rig moored offshore in clean water
(See Flyboards here: Zapata's outrageous, US$6,600 Flyboard - Aquaman meets Iron Man and here:FLYBOARD® Official by Zapata Racing -Zapata Racing)
2. A good stout pontoon boat with twin outboards, preferably all metal construction and a boom mounted forward to which the Flyboard nozzle is attached and positioned flowing downwards
3. Maybe spuds on the pontoon boat (barge) to steady it in the surf zone?
would be a most effective method of getting water to move sand in the shallows.

Flyboarding is fun. I did it last Summer. I agree the pressure could clear some sand.

FLYBOARD.JPG

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I won't beat up the fluid mechanics of it all, but it is the mass and velocity of the flow (the mass flow rate: mass density x flow velocity), not the pressure that moves sand. :) One would need to slow the flow of the jetski pump down by using a bigger outlet
To do this another way - Imagine the 80' Christine Rose barge from Bering Sea Gold complete with the trackhoe/excavator. Now picture a 16 inch irrigation pump with the intake offshore in clean water feeding a 24 inch hose which is affixed to the bucket. Fire up the pump, point the nozzle end wherever you like in a 40+ foot radius and prepare to move sand...
What I am suggesting is much smaller, since an 80' barge would draw too much water to belly up to the beach, but scale down the pump to 10 or 12", the trackhoe down to an articulated arm for the hose and a 28' pontoon with sturdy decks might just work.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is a hand held control you can use to control the jet ski throttle. You can adjust the mass & velocity of the flow without moving to a larger outlet. I agree mounted on a barge or boat it would have potential.

Gitschlag

Aug 7, 2011
Brandon, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett SeaHunter MkII, Minelab Xterra70
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When I was at the Corrigans site last summer, John Brandon was working the shore in waist-deep water using blowers. Seemed to be working relatively well, as his diver told me they had been recovering artifacts all day.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greg Bounds' Gold Hound boat is set up to work in very very shallow water with that 2 piece blower...and it is for sale at a very reasonable price, I understand.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I know the area where Raddoc wants to work. The depth is measured in inches, not feet. There are a lot of limestone/coral outcroppings that would tear the bottom out of a pontoon or fiberglass boat. When the swells come in, it presents a special danger to whomever is in the water, for if the boat slips it's anchor, it could very well crush him. Just something to consider...

OP
OP
R

raddoc

Mar 31, 2011
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
EXCAL...AQUAPULSE
Thanks for all the input and ideas. I'm still in the "Thinking about it" stage.

The thoughts that go through my mind are weather issues. How many days are calm enough to have a boat that close to shore? What type of device would mitigate the weather issue...the depth issue, etc.?

How deep a hole would be needed to blown that close to shore?

Could a water pump be put on the beach with intake and output hoses in the water?

Not sure want would work best.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems like back in the 80's, I saw a TV news clip of the Reale 8 guys and they were using a dredge---something very much like Keene's Coin and Relic dredge, though maybe a bit larger. I vividly remember the smallish pontoons of the little barge and seeing the overburden run through the sluice.

It seems to me a set-up like this could be used throughout much of the year, even when diving conditions are very poor---shoot, a small dredge could be carried down from the parking lot and launched right from the beach. Big finds would probably be a longshot, but operating costs would be very low outside of labor.

The caveat would be in locating areas where a dredge could reach the depths necessary for reaching treasure holding strata...

It may sound crazy to some, but I think it might be possible...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ya! I'd like to see that thing go thru Sebastian Inlet! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread