Northern California Ship Wreck

lurediver

Jun 12, 2009
Over the weekend I found a massive Dead Eye out in California in fresh water and its in fairly decent shape. I was trying to figure out its age. it measures around 9 inches across. Any help would be appreciated
Dead Eye.jpg

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Anyone?? Am I on the wrong forum? I've also found more items.

Well I tried to help and provide any info I could but you didnt want to say where your at?

Norcal is a pretty big area and you didnt say if your on the coast or inland. I am in Fort Bragg.

Last edited:

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Burl, the delta near Sacramento if that helps date the deadeye..

There has been allot of ship traffic through there over the years. It could have been dropped off deck anytime in the last 160 years. From the looks of it is a fairly recent drop, last 60 years or so. The mud and silt can keep things looking good for quite awhile.

Steve Lawson

Greenie
Nov 14, 2008
Cool find. There were a few sailing vessels brought up for use on the Sacramento River during the goldrush, the wrecks of two or three can be dived today. I've seen similar dead-eyes recovered from some Great Lakes wrecks in similar condition (fresh water finds are so nice!). Aside from coming from a sailing vessel, it's anyone's guess as to it's origin. You can have the wood tested/typed, but it would likely be identified as lignum vitae aka ironwood used universally for deadeyes, sheeves and similar applications. Usually, a single band of iron is wrapped around the deadeye, but yours has two rods. This may have some significance, but is likely from a smaller vessel. Regardless, it's a rare find in a state where nearly all of its wrecks stranded and were pulverized in the surf.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread