Help to ID makers mark on 1715 silver plate.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
I recovered this silver plate back in the 90's on the Cabin wreck site. I've tried to ID the makers mark to see who made the plate but have had no luck. I know some people on this site have some good references. The name "Vitoria" was inscibed on the top of the plate rim as seen in second photo. Any help would be appreciated.

Makersmark_zpsc8a2f4a2.jpg

IMG_3968_zps4f6e8d72.jpg

Booty Salvage

May 31, 2011
Ft Pierce Florida
Detector(s) used
3 Aqua pulse, 1 Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That partial with the "go" with the "L" below it reads Gosa Lez I found an ornate silver platter/candelabra base on corrigans and it had those same markings. It is in the Mel fisher museum in Sebastian

Actually my platter had all these same markings. I believe the one on the far right is the purity stamp. But as I said there is a break down of all those stamps and what they mean on a placard next to the platter at the museum.

OP
OP
S

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Thanks Booty! I'll contact the museum up there and see if they'll get me that info. Do appreciate it.
Got a reply from an inquiry on a silver hallmark forum (gotta love the internet!) The Gosa Lez hallmark was used by the chief assayer in Mexico Diego Gonzalez de la Cueva. The second mark is the Pillar of Hercules with the letter M which was the Spanish colonial silver hallmark used during occupation of Mexico. and third is an Eagle Mark? I'll see what the Musum has. Only weird thing from reply from other site was these marks were supposedly only in use from 1733-1778, but obviously that can't be right.
Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
Thanks Booty! I'll contact the museum up there and see if they'll get me that info. Do appreciate it.
Got a reply from an inquiry on a silver hallmark forum (gotta love the internet!) The Gosa Lez hallmark was used by the chief assayer in Mexico Diego Gonzalez de la Cueva. The second mark is the Pillar of Hercules with the letter M which was the Spanish colonial silver hallmark used during occupation of Mexico. and third is an Eagle Mark? I'll see what the Musum has. Only weird thing from reply from other site was these marks were supposedly only in use from 1733-1778, but obviously that can't be right.
Thanks,
Steve

Ok, got better info from the site that deals in makers marks and also got the photos of the marks off your platter base in the museum though pretty blurry. Marks on your plate were in much better condition and had the whole Gosa Lez inscription. It was the mark used by chief assayer "Nicholas Gonzales de la Cueva" who was assayer between 1701-1713.

Thanks,
Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread