Are there any Sunken Spanish Ships in Puerto Rico?

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are wrecks there but they are look don't touch, and I doubt anyone is going to give away any sites they might have in mind for future use. Sorry.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hola Conquistador,

Try to get the book "Shipwrecks in Puerto Ricos History" by Walter Cardona Bonet its a great book....I have known Walter for over 25 yrs....the guy is a great researcher....must of the information in the book comes directly from the archives ;).....
If you cant get it before your trip let me know on what part of the island you are going to be and I will throw you a few Bones ;D
If by any chance you are going to be in the northeast look for a beach town called islaverde then look for the Hotel San Juan once you are in the beach in front of the hotel look to the right and you will see a very small island or cayo there you can find artifacts from the Taino Indians (same Indians that were found in the island when Cristobal Colon arrived)

Also while in the beach in front of the hotel look to the right in the shore line and you will see that you cant keep on walking along the shore line because of the buildings that are in the water edge....... on the other side (you have to go around by the streets) you will find a country club called "Casa Cuba" once you are in the beach in front of "Casa Cuba" swim out to the reef there are 2 old wrecks out there....... As a kid I just to dive on them with my uncle.....didn't have an MD back then and I never found out what they were but for sure there are two old wrecks.......

Now keep in mind that in Puerto Rico they do have salvage laws but the slip is 90% to the Puertorrican government and 10% to salvos.......also keep in mind that if you get caught taking any artifact considered national patrimony you could end up in jail up to 10 yrs.....

If by any chance you are going to Mayaguez please get me 2 bottles of sangria "Fido" is famus in Mayaguez just aks and they will give you directions....Its close to the university ;D....... I will pay you for them and the shipping....OK!!!!

Buena suerte and happy hunting...

Chagy..........

OP
OP
conquistador

conquistador

Feb 13, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
dfx.
Mr. Changy thank you for all your help. :) My dad lives in Puerto rico in the west part of the Island
in the town of Rincon. I have a sister that lives not to far from San Juan.I will be Visiting the Island on May 25th 2007 until June 3rd 2007 . 8) I will be doing a search on the book. I hope I can find it by then. I'am sure It will be of interesting reading. I will be in Rincon for three days :) and the rest of the time near the San Juan area. I will have a car to travel the Island with. I will keep in touch with you for I will need an Address on where to send the Bottles.Thank again
Conquistador.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Rincon is pretty close to Mayaguez.....I haven't drink that sangria from Fido in 15 yrs .....try it you will love it!!!!!
So Rincon it is..... I will look at my files and see what I have for you in that area...I will post later on tonight...
Once you are in San Juan look for Islaverde I already gave you some instructions in my prior post...Enjoy!!!!

All the best,

Chagy.......

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
here is a map from the book (I did the best I could with the picture) I also got you a map with al the municipios I marked in red the areas with shipwrecks.....allot listed in San German(best area to hunt), pretty close to Rincon the first galleon port of the island was in San German there use to be a gold deposit there too.....A few listed in Guayanilla (also a good area to search)
A couple in Caja de Muerto (small key marked in red under Ponce) and also a couple in Coamo....Allot also wrecked in the San Juan harbor (great area to hunt)...

Attachments

• PR map.jpg
    PR map.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,030
  • PR  map 2.jpg
    PR map 2.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,247
  • pr-municipalities.gif
    pr-municipalities.gif
    49.4 KB · Views: 2,623

barney

Oct 5, 2006
FLORIDA
Chagy said:
If by any chance you are going to Mayaguez please get me 2 bottles of sangria "Fido" is famus in Mayaguez just aks and they will give you directions....Its close to the university ;D....... I will pay you for them and the shipping....OK!!!!

I have had that stuff and it ROCKS! One glass is all it takes...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread