copper nail.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,463
  • copper nail.jpg
    copper nail.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 833

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I would say YES it was used in a wooden SHIP.
I have a few Iron nails and a few SILVER nails and 1 copper nail but none of them are as fine as yours.
Peg Leg

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It most likely is bronze, they did make small nails out of copper, but it is very soft. Most spikes like that were bronze. Polish it up and if its gold colored it is bronze, if copper colored, then of course copper. Iron nails would rust away very quickly. English ships had a broadhead stamped in every metal part, so if it had that then its English. Nice find!

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I second the bronze nail theory but it's still a great find indeed. I have several that are actually 6" in length but nearly the same diameter head.

Pcolaboy

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I posted the other day about a friend that I am actually Grub Staking. He is really interested in Treasure Hunting but could not afford a MD so I bought one for him to get started,
ANYWAY
He recovered a few silver nails. Three were still in the wood so he broke the wood apart and took the nails out. He brought them to me to look at.
They were SILVER. Of course they were not used to hold anything together. I believe they were silver that was being smuggled back to Spain. The best are three in good condition considering they have been in the ocean for a few hundred years. I have cleaned them up so anyone can tell the are silver. The three best ones weigh 116 grams together. The silver content runs from .800 to .925.
I told him to NEVER take anything apart until I get a chance to look at it. Hell he is just leaning. He is my legs MD the beach.
NO photos yet until a buy a new camera then I will post a few.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
aleman

aleman

Feb 17, 2007
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
A Iron one!!!!

The other day I went to the same spot where my buddy found the brass nail, and found myself a Iron one! Looks like there is something out there............
aleman

Attachments

• Iron Nail.jpg
    Iron Nail.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 539

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
The iron nail is about the same size as the silver ones but in better shape than the iron nail.
Peg Leg

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I will ask again.
WOULD IT BE ACCEPTABLE TO CLEAN THE SILVER NAILS OR LET THEM BE.
pEG lEG

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Electrolytic Reduction, Pegleg. A small silver nail should only take a few days or a week at the most. If you don't have an electrolytic bath set up or aren't familiar with the process, there are many references on this website, or Google it.

If you just let it go, those salt chlorides will slowly keep expanding and your nails will be reduced to nothing (silver sulphide?)

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
Aleman,here are pictures of spike. shank is round thanks,keegah

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 361

wreckvalle

Nov 20, 2006
Looks like a brass or bronze pike to me. We find them all the time on 1800's vintage wood wrecks. The square ones are used to hold decks or planking. Larger round ones are for the ribs.

Safe Diving
Capt. Dan
www.aquaexplorers.com

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
what is iron grubby? (sorry for the newbie ignorance)

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
"iron grubby"

sorry, grubby. i'm so new @this i thought you meant it was "iron grubby" lol. are square headed spikes of a certain time period. i'm a carpenter and the only square headed nails i've seen are cut nails(concrete nails). thanks,keegah

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread