Water clarity/beach renourishment photos

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have ranted several times on TNet about beach renourishment (gag) and it's effects on our Treasure Coast beaches and reefs including what it does to thwart beach hunters and boat-borne treasure hunters alike.
Here is a good picture of just what happens when they put sand on a beach that is not put there by nature:
Eye in the Sky ? Aerial Monitoring | Reef Rescue - Coral Reef Blog

from the Reef Rescue blog here: Reef Rescue - Coral Reef Blog

Beach "renourishment" is a waste of time and resources that also degrades the near-shore ocean environment.
Edited because: <<I decided I better put the photo into this post, since we all know how resources online can disappear>>
sediment plume Reef Rescue sit.jpg

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The reefs off the treasure coast used to be thriving coral colonies. Now they are dead worm rock.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh.. This has and continues to make me sick.
It wouldn't surprise me if the answer to the silt problem is ground glass instead of stopping the replenishment... It's terrifying that it was actually being in still is being considered.
I'm sure that will work out great for the soft tissue of marine life... shark and mammals and anything who ingests them.. Especially the filter feeders

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't they just pump the sand from the surf to the beach?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No... If not from an inland borrow it gets pumped onto a barge and shipped in several miles in many cases.
Sometimes I think they also use material dredge from shipping channels.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is doubtful that it will ever be used but by erecting Silt Barriers along beaches where Beach Replenishment is being done, will do a lot to protect the Reefs and lessen the impact on Treasure Salvage Divers. These would be put into place before Beach Renourishment/Replenishment begins at a given beach and left in place up to 30 days or more to allow settling of the silt, lighter sand and other debris. While I have not lived in Florida for a long, long time, I view pics and satelitte photos of many of the beaches as I love searching for things that become visible every once in awhile that could lead to a discovery. In all of the times I have looked, not once have I seen a Silt Barrier or Barriers along any beach or beaches where Beach Renourishment/Replenishment has been done.

Frank

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would have to put up a silt barrier every time the surf came up

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time the surf comes up and a high tide does this to the replenishment junk everything in the water suffers.. As does anything who was trying to use that replenishment sand for a burrow or a nest.
I already deleted the photos because they disgusted me so much but just from this past season I had several photos of sea turtle eggs dumping out of the side of eroded replenishment sand.
It is 100 percent true and correct to say this year's replenishment project killed hundreds of sea turtles

ForumRunner_20140501_173628.png

Last edited:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take photos and post them!!! send the photos to the sea turtle preservation society!! the renourishment projects almost did not get funding this year. we need to do anything we can do to stop the wasted money and damage to the enviroment!!! we are probably out there more than anyone and can see these things firsthand!

chuck.

Every time the surf comes up and a high tide does this to the replenishment junk everything in the water suffers.. As does anything who was trying to use that replenishment sand for a burrow or a nest.
I already deleted the photos because they disgusted me so much but just from this past season I had several photos of sea turtle eggs dumping out of the side of eroded replenishment sand.
It is 100 percent true and correct to say this year's replenishment project killed hundreds of sea turtles

View attachment 987979

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to see if I can locate the photos via Facebook or maybe someone else I sent them to I deleted them from my cell phone.
But I hear ya it was atrocious not only the ones that I saw physically falling out of the sand there was dozens and dozens of them already scattered along the beach that had been washed away already

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This is beyond belief! If we disturb a nesting site we go to jail. The renourishment project has destroyed hundreds of nests. Who is responsible?

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They knew full well this would happen it's happened before also if you artificially extend the length of a beach with material that is not even close to as stable as naturally accumulated beach sand watered down layer by layer it's basically setting a trap for the Turtles when it comes to nesting

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent one of the photos to the treasure Beach report blog ...I will see if I can find it again

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had several better photos than this here is one or two its in the 5-29- 13 report on the blog.
This was just one nest. I stopped and took a photo or two at several nests that day.
Those looked like bird footprints all over

ForumRunner_20140501_204014.png

ForumRunner_20140501_204041.png

Last edited:

jose50

Mar 22, 2011
Didn't do the research before building, right?

Notice the large beachfront house in the background of the bottom photo. Do you think those folks really care about the fate of an indigenous turtle population? Or, are they more concerned about their property value and the fact that even though the beach and the turtles were there long before the luxury beachfront property, the beach must not recede, as it does naturally, for to do so would put them at financial risk?:BangHead:

:skullflag:
Talk like a pirate day Sept. 19th

AAAR!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh it could definitely just be boiled down to the sea turtles don't bring in revenue... Decade after decade of living here eventually I can't help but see all the high rise condominiums as not much more than storage facilitys for wallets.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Money.

Yep, back to money. As long as the tourist industry has a strong lobby, they will continually replenish the beaches to keep the tourists coming. The west coast of Florida is no different.

They spend millions to watch it wash away during the non-tourist season, then do it all over again.

This simply depends on who has more money.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread