ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
4 amelia island florida wrecks--I'm sorting them out---can use help

looking for any info / help --on these "no money" wrecks ---sopting out these wrecks to clear away the "crud" in the area

(1)the first I think I've nailed ---O/V Big Lady --48 tons--built 1910 --lost on may 11th 1960 near enterance to nassau inlet --(think this is the "tug boat" on the beach (dry land) near the tip of little talbot island)

(2) Jessie A. Bishop -of new haven (conn?)-- 4 masted schooner--built 1908 at rockland, maine-- 754 tons--188.9 L x 38 W x 14.9 D stranded on Jan 1,1912 at nassau inlet

(3) Gracie D. Buchanan --4 masted schooner--1,141 tons--built 1888 at Bath (maine or england?) 194.6 L x 40 W x 18.1 D stranded in nassau inlet on Feb 10,1910 --- I think this maybe the listed wreck on the current NOAA maps of the nassau sound area behind "Bird Island"

(4) Soli Deo Gloria --(spanish?) Bark lost in nassau inlet on Oct 19.1891

finding out what cargo's they carried might help to find out out who's who and which is which. as their close together in a small area the sorting out is hard.

any new info on these wrecks might help --- I found this info from --singers ---shipwrecks of florida--Thanks Ivan

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Re: 4 amelia island florida wrecks--I'm sorting them out---can use help

Ivan,
You might better Admiralty claims first.
Diverlynn

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
don't want these wrecks just want to cull them from the area -after bigger fish

I'm after bigger and better fish --these are culls -- too late to be of interest me. I only look at 1750 and earlier era wrecks. need info to sort out several wrecks so as to not waste my time / effort on a cull ship.

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Ivan

What about the island at pirates cove? Have you ever detected there. Many sharks teeth have been found. I have not been able to get over to it being I have no boat. I have no idea if treasure could be there..just one of those spots that make your brain wonder.

Larry

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Larry,
island at pirates cove , is that in fernadiana beach area? is it state owned?

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Ivan

There is a boatramp and campsite right before huegenot park(sisters boatramp, heritage river st). It is called by locals "pirates cove." Whether this has any real historical meaning to it I am not sure. However there is a tiny island about 50ft from shore where people can go to find sharks teeth. When the tide goes down you can practically walk across the river to this island. I saw some trash there, however I was not able to hunt w/o my ace 150. If you have a boat or a waterproof MD, maybe you could get over there to see if there may be buried treasure.

Larry

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

yes amelia island ,nassau sound and fernandia are all close by each other ---nassau sound is the inlet on the south end of amelia island between it and talbot island--fernandina is a town on amelia island ---where did you find the "spotswood" letter of oct 24,1715 to sec. stanhope that you refer to? I am very interested to "read" the text of it myself---for several reasons --it may assist me in "proving" my view that one of the 1715 ships did indeed go down in the area---yes the nassau sound area is "40 miles to the north of st augustine" as has been reportly stated in the letter--I need to know the whereabouts of the letter to assist in proving to others what I'm saying isn't just some wild BS story. ---historically based letters and documents carry alot of weight ---most folks want to "see" the proof, can't balme them really. there are at least 3 sources that state a wreck was in the area--(1)the 1715 letter of spotswood ,and 2 differant spanish reports list----(2)--15 leagues (40 miles at 2 2/3rd miles to the league) to the leeward(north)of st augustine ---and (3) shipwreck parts found on the* north coast of st augustine. (but should read *coast north of st augustine-- I think thats just a simple translating goof ) with this information from top notch researchers ,I strongly feel the is a 1715 ship in the area waters. plus theres(4) a 1769 map by capt william fuller of the local area that has a wreck site clearly noted upon it (maybe a english ship or spy saw the wreck and marked the site on their map ---so english "knew" of the wrecksite from 1715 and thus reported it to governor spotswood and thats how it came to be in his "report" and on the 1769 map later--the wreck MUST have predated NOV 1769 to be on that map.---Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread