Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Ossy mate, where ya been? Why keep beating a dead horse? Is Spain going back to the Mercedes to recover the cultural artifacts? One thing I noticed in the article: "A portion of the treasure trove will go on display in Madrid..." The rest will disappear in the pockets of the government officials. Soon Mercedes coins will be offered on Ebay.

Did you see what Odyssey is doing now?

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Ossy mate, where ya been? Why keep beating a dead horse? Is Spain going back to the Mercedes to recover the cultural artifacts? One thing I noticed in the article: "A portion of the treasure trove will go on display in Madrid..." The rest will disappear in the pockets of the government officials. Soon Mercedes coins will be offered on Ebay. Did you see what Odyssey is doing now?
Hi Pete , Just posted, as it is on today's " EL PAIS " Spain's main news paper. You can join Trez on our bet with Spain selling the coins but it may cost you some of your best cobs. Odyssey is doing a great job and will hopefully get some good returns for legally salvaging wrecks, the horse has been long buried and i will post some pictures of the display when it becomes available. You will have to let the horse go as well , the corruption thing is wearing thin . Cheers Ossy

Last edited:

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ossy

How is Spain doing at getting the other Mercedes stuff out of Gibraltar ?

I heard they need to have a hearing in the Gibraltar Courts to do it, but if they do Spain will have in effect conceded to the legitimacy and the jurisdiction of Gibraltar, a thing that Spain desperately does not want to do.

Only thing OME got wrong was trying to go through the US legal system.

They should have sold the coin out of Gibraltar or landed the silver in an African state where Spain could have had no influence on the process.

Still it did OME the world of good in publicity, experience, share price increase and TV rights and in effect cost very little as they used their own vessels, ROV and personnel that is being paid for 365 24/7 irrespective of wether they are searching or recovering.

It has done Spain far more harm than good, as to the wider world they just appear to be a thieving unjust nation that was out to get something for nothing.

VOC

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC honestly you think that in 10 years of walking Odyssey Marine through the Strait of Gibraltar took only 17 tons? You need to read the old press release to believe otherwise. VV

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOX, just because they were surveying out there for years what makes you think they were recovering ?

If they were in the game of looting and running they would have done the same with the Mercedes, as until they put it into court to establish ownership the Spanish had not a clue any Silver was raised at all.

Speculation and fact are two completely different things and I am sure you don't have any fact at all.

VOC

Last edited:

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VOC, there are several PR from Odyssey. I only say what they said.

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi VOX

Can you point me to one OME press release that has ever said they have recovered an ounce of silver or gold from a wreck in the straights or from Spanish waters ?

Yes they say they have found what they believe might be the Sussex and yes they announced finds from the Atlantic and English Channel that some mistakenly believed to be the Merchant Royal, but I have yet to see one that says they recovered anything else from Spanish Waters, the Straights or from a Spanish Vessel in Europe.

Like I say speculation is a dangerous thing.

VOC

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The chutzpah of the Spanish is almost unbelievable. Here is a copy and paste from the story: "Carlos León, technical director of the exhibition El último viaje de la fragata Mercedes (or, The last journey of the frigate Mercedes), will tell the story of “two injustices” and “one legal victory.” “The first injustice was committed when the frigate was blown up..." LOL...The Spanish had just signed the second Treaty of San Ildefonso. They had already agreed to join France and declare war on England. The treaty was supposed to be "secret", but the English became aware of Spanish duplicity and beat them to the punch. The Battle of Cape St Mary in which Mercedes was destroyed was effectively the end of Spain as a world power. The 4 Spanish frigates were the last "treasure fleet" Spain would ever send from the New World. It was the end of 300 years of Spanish rape of the Americas. Less than a year later, the Spanish fleet would be completely humiliated at Trafalgar. So, let the Spanish have this one. They can look at whatever coins don't end up on the market and dream about the time in history when Spain was a big and important country. It will never happen again. And the world is a better place for it.
Yes Jolly Mon a better place like the US , How many Spanish Schools have been shot up and People killed ?? And how many in your gun crazy country ! sorry if I offended anybody but Jolly Mon comment is distasteful and Racist . Ossy

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Jolly Mon a better place like the US , How many Spanish Schools have been shot up and People killed ?? And how many in your gun crazy country ! sorry if I offend anybody but Jolly Mon comment is distasteful and Racist . I would make another comment but I when then be Banned ! Ossy

The Spanish trying to paint themselves as "victims" at the end of 300 years of the rape and pillage of the Americas and on the eve of colluding with Napoleon to invade England is just too much...

But there was certainly nothing "racist" about my comments.

As you can see, I had already deleted the original post. Not because there was anything wrong with what I said, but simply because you aren't worth it.

Cheers.

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Ossy How is Spain doing at getting the other Mercedes stuff out of Gibraltar ? I heard they need to have a hearing in the Gibraltar Courts to do it, but if they do Spain will have in effect conceded to the legitimacy and the jurisdiction of Gibraltar, a thing that Spain desperately does not want to do. Only thing OME got wrong was trying to go through the US legal system. They should have sold the coin out of Gibraltar or landed the silver in an African state where Spain could have had no influence on the process. Still it did OME the world of good in publicity, experience, share price increase and TV rights and in effect cost very little as they used their own vessels, ROV and personnel that is being paid for 365 24/7 irrespective of wether they are searching or recovering. It has done Spain far more harm than good, as to the wider world they just appear to be a thieving unjust nation that was out to get something for nothing. VOC
Your quite wrong VOC it has the best thing that could have happen for Spain. It's been out of site out of mind, now the man on street knows whats going on and they will vote for a government that will protect Spanish heritage . We now have the US navel missile defense fleet stationed at the ROTA base in Spain, With over 1,000 us service men who keep the economy going . I say it was a good deal The US and Spain now enjoy the best relationship ever in their history . Ossy

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Spanish trying to paint themselves as "victims" at the end of 300 years of the rape and pillage of the Americas and on the eve of colluding with Napoleon to invade England is just too much... But there was certainly nothing "racist" about my comments. As you can see, I had already deleted the original post. Not because there was anything wrong with what I said, but simply because you aren't worth it. Cheers.
You wrong about the Spanish colluding with the French , They were forced into war or be attacked by Napoleon which happen anyway , so get your facts right. You colonials must have been saints ! You must be forgetting your history with the native Indians and the Negro,s that you built nice plantations for . Have a nice day

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. We now have the US navel missile defense fleet stationed at the ROTA base in Spain, With over 1,000 us service men who keep the economy going . Ossy

Not only does the Mercedes affair show the Spanish Government to be disreputable it also appears they can also be bought. Not a good advert for Spain.

Un-shore

Feb 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wrong about the Spanish colluding with the French , They were forced into war or be attacked by Napoleon which happen anyway , so get your facts right. You colonials must have been saints ! You must be forgetting your history with the native Indians and the Negro,s that you built nice plantations for . Have a nice day

Definition of collusion: secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose. Sound like what you describe.

Want to talk about slavery? Spain brought it in to the new world, the English perpetuated it and the U.S. abolished it.

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definition of collusion: secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose. Sound like what you describe. Want to talk about slavery? Spain brought it in to the new world, the English perpetuated it and the U.S. abolished it.
You make yourself sound like a real hero , delusional ! Francis Drake was a slave trader before he became a pirate and yes his best customers were the Spanish. Nobody is saying the Spanish were saints, but you carry on as if the US saved everybody and they had nothing to do with ill treatment of native Americans and slaves.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You make yourself sound like a real hero , delusional ! Francis Drake was a slave trader before he became a pirate and yes his best customers were the Spanish. Nobody is saying the Spanish were saints, but you carry on as if the US saved everybody and they had nothing to do with ill treatment of native Americans and slaves.

The Spanish colonial administration was responsible for the virtual extinction of the indigenous native American tribes from Florida to South America through slave hunts and sport hunts.

They pillaged the Americas, and squandered the billions on religious wars.

What a legacy.

Smithbrown

May 22, 2006
Sorry- this is what happens when you forget to put your time filters on. Happy to delete to avoid confusion.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry- this is what happens when you forget to put your time filters on. Happy to delete to avoid confusion.
Not unusual....[emoji106]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread