Found after 500 years, the wreck of Christopher Columbus’s flagship the Santa Maria

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At Columbus home-museum in Genoa, is a replica of the bell.

El Dorado Seeker

Nov 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great news, if it's THE Santa Maria. There must be several old ships deep down there...

I just wanted to post the news, but I see it's already being discussed :)

I wonder if there's any gold aboard.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I could be wrong, but I believe Barry or someone close to him is on the forum here as "Whydah" if you want to private message him.

That "smoking gun" (15th-C cannon) they found in 2003 still seems iffy.

If anyone is going to find that ship, I'm glad it's someone responsible like Barry whose interests are as strong for the historical/archaeological as for the possibility of treasure. It's a ship that changed the world, so it's probably the most important find to date.

OP
OP
R

Rock Rock

May 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know how to contact Barry Clifford? I have information about that shipwreck that might (will ) interest him.

Try contacting the author of the article, maybe he can track him down for you.

Good luck !

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 90s the French Loic Menanteau (as I recall) conducted a study in Haiti, determining that the miserable (and few) remains of the Santa Maria were on land. But in archeology is never said the last word

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
I am curious how they know the difference between a 15th century breechloading cannon and a 16th century breechloading cannon; they remained in use for a long time into the 16th century.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a cool story and I hope Clifford has found the Santa Maria, but it sounds fairly circumstantial at this point.

This is from the CNN article: "stones found at the site match the kind from the part of Spain where the ship was built."

I don't really get that. If Santa Maria was a typical merchant ship, she might well have changed ballast many times.

The other stuff sounds pretty good, though. Best of luck to Mr. Clifford for sure !!!

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
amazing if true...

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's the sort of claim that's going to get a lot of media.
Proving it conclusively, that's another ball of wax.

Hoping it's true but not holding my breath.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
................... It's a ship that changed the world, so it's probably the most important find to date.

Bingo.

I've read about this ship for decades, and frankly can't understand why this wasn't found before now. But I'm glad it has.

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi folks,

By my opinion, it is NOT TRUTH. Barry Clifford went to Haiti searching for Santa Maria 11 years ago, he spent there three months and he left with empty hands, he did not find absolutely anything. He claims that he photographed the shipwreck and then he found out that it could be Santa Maria. If somebody claims something like that, he should go to the closest library and read at least one book about the first voyage of Columbus. Then he would know that all the timbers from the ship were used as a building material for the fort of La Navidad. What can be found at the place could be just dispersed rests and may be some artifacts, but not a shipwreck. Also, Santa Maria did not crash against the reef, but she grounded on a sand bank. If Barry Clifford would really find a cannon from 15th century while searching for Santa Maria, he would never be quiet for another 11 years. Such a cannon at the place can be called almost as a hard evidence.

It is really sad that the world's media just repeat the report of somebody without doing even the slightest research about the facts.

Regards,
Bobadilla

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread