Big brass nail

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this big brass nail I found. I added it to a post that was already started here since I had been finding other small brass nails in this area. It was found in the water on a salt water beach here in New Jersey. It seems to be square in top and roundish on the bottom. Sorry If I have posted it too much but I am kinda excited. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• image-2454054814.jpg
    image-2454054814.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 83
  • image-15844368.jpg
    image-15844368.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 83
  • image-1297849275.jpg
    image-1297849275.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 75

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out this big brass nail I found. I added it to a post that was already started here since I had been finding other small brass nails in this area. It was found in the water on a salt water beach here in New Jersey. It seems to be square in top and roundish on the bottom. Sorry If I have posted it too much but I am kinda excited. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I would say it is very likely to have come from an old ship or boat. Keep in mind though, that pieces of a wreck can break free and float for many miles away from their original location.
I would keep pounding the area for sure. Keep your eyes peeled for pottery shards/ bottles, ballast stones, etc.
There are tons of shipwrecks around New Jersey.

OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit that area again but did not find anything but I can't get too far in the water with my equip. I'm getting salt water detector soon. Any idea how old it could be?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit that area again but did not find anything but I can't get too far in the water with my equip. I'm getting salt water detector soon. Any idea how old it could be?

I have learned, with help from some of the real experts on this forum, that copper alloy ship spikes and nails are really not datable to any degree. They were in use for centuries.

Keep hitting the site. I made a similar find a couple of years ago and have not yet been able to find the wreck, but I keep going back periodically and have found quite a few very old coins and relics in the area. I don't know if I will ever find the main wreck...

I posted some of the initial finds here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/s...s-spoon-handle-musketball-age-size-ideas.html

OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info and those are some cool finds. Did ya find these in New Jersey?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread