CNN TODAY: 6 American Treasure Hunters Detained in Honduras

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I'm posting this to let others know to be careful when working outside the USA. I know the Captain of the the boat. He's a great guy and in my opinion should not have been arrested. He was only carrying guns on his boat for protection. I'm also told that the local authorities were going to let the crew go, if they paid a $17,000 bribe to authorities. Which the crew refused to do.
​Six Americans detained in Honduras on weapons possession charges - CNN.com

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hopefully they get them out of there quickly. Pretty messed up.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Hopefully they get them out of there quickly. Pretty messed up.
Iit was very arrogant thinking that our hard fought for American rights applied to other countries also.

They were being offered clemency.
Being offered the chance to pay a bribe was a generous act of leniency.

An American Attorney would've asked for a much larger bribe in the form of a crippling retainer

They should've paid it on the spot without hesitation, and thanked them.
The sentences for mere gun possession in Honduras can run into to the decades.

Last edited:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
el padron, i have to agree with you here. You have to put your principles aside when on foreign soil, and play their game. The legal fees for this will be > $17k, so $17k was really the best deal. If I had to make some underhanded deal with a government (ours our someone else's) to protect myself and my treasures, you bet I would do it.

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my understanding that they did not first stop at a port of entry and check in with and clear Honduran customs before sailing up the Patuca Rive towards their destination at the village of Ahuas. This would be like a foreign flagged vessel sailing past the Port of Miami without stopping and clearing customs, and then entering Sebastian Inlet and cruising up the inter-coastal.

One must keep in mind that they also entered the MosquitĂ­a region of Honduras. This region has been overrun by narco trafficking cartel's for some time using the remote jungles and waters ways as a favorite trans shipment points for drugs from South America destine for the streets of the U.S., and weapons for the gangs that terrorize the good people of Central America so the gangs can freely move their drugs up north. Honduras has the highest murder rate on the planet.

In my humble opinion, Capt. Mayne may have very well violated Honduran law and as a direct result has put his entire crew in grave jeopardy.

As I stated over a week ago when I first posted this story on my web site "
They should count themselves lucky that they were detained by the Honduran Government and not one of the many drug cartels that are engaged trafficking drugs from South America. Captain Mayne and his crew could have very well just disappeared into the jungle, while the drug traffickers used their boat to smuggle drugs."

Last edited:

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was wondering why they didn't declare their weapons when they cleared customs. If they came into the country and didn't clear customs, they should have paid the $17k and got out of there as fast as possible. If they get off with $17k apiece they'll be doing good.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Those of you with negative opinions on this need to read the comments section where a crew member and the Captains sister set the record straight.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of you with negative opinions on this need to read the comments section where a crew member and the Captains sister set the record straight.

Good job, Aquanut. These guys were doing everything right. They were trying to get to the Port Captain to declare their entry and their weapons. They were bogusly boarded by the Honduran Navy and the Local police. This is just so typical of the massive corruption present in that part of the world.
When you go to Latin America, the only real question is who is worse...the government or the honest criminals.

"Being offered the chance to pay a bribe was a generous act of leniency."....LOL... it is almost unbelievable that someone could say that with a straight face. But, of course, that attitude is what perpetuates the gross corruption in Latin America.

I used to work at an institution that hosted an annual symposium of Latin American lawyers. The gist of the symposium was how to combat corruption in the legal machinery of Latin America. You would not BELIEVE the stories.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job, Aquanut. These guys were doing everything right. They were trying to get to the Port Captain to declare their entry and their weapons. They were bogusly boarded by the Honduran Navy and the Local police. This is just so typical of the massive corruption present in that part of the world.
When you go to Latin America, the only real question is who is worse...the government or the honest criminals.

"Being offered the chance to pay a bribe was a generous act of leniency."....LOL... it is almost unbelievable that someone could say that with a straight face. But, of course, that attitude is what perpetuates the gross corruption in Latin America.

Typically you can't have guns in Honduras at all, not for any reason at all.
That means you can't declare them either, it won't do you any good, the law says you can not have them at all.
What are you going to do declare a few tons of heroin also?
You can't have guns, you can't have guns.
Just because you're American, or a treasure hunter, that doesn't mean you can have them either

Bringing guns with you to Honduras is arrogant and stupid.

Don't try in Mexico either....

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
el padron its the port authorities,(captains) job to decide if guns should be on board a vessel or stored with that authority upon arrival, not the military,s, even with the prior acquired communication with Honduran authorities before arrival.. A berth till hours of operation allow can be watched without boarding by non authorized personnel. Not talking about land where citizens can have them but on the water.Without them any craft is vulnerable.Honduras: The Bloodiest Nation In The World
Your remarks of arrogant and stupid are ignorance based.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Isn't it funny how the members here say "they should've just declared them"?
Isn't it shocking how lost some people are?

Do you know how many Americans died so you can have that piece of crap revolver under your mattress?

You think everybody gets just to declare guns?, that's how it works?

As far as the leniency issue, and the offer to accept a bribe, you would agree with me and apologize also if you knew how just how potentially screwed those people are right now....

The offer to accept a bribe was not just an act of leniency, not just an act of clemency, it was also a sort of nod of respect....

That's all done and over now,

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT THEY ARE FACING, ? THE RAT FECES THEY WILL BE EATING,? SOMEONE'S TAKING CARE OF THEM RIGHT NOW WITH THE BEANS AND RICE

ARROGANT AND STUPID!!!

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That means you can't declare them either, it won't do you any good, the law says you can not have them at all.
Just because you're American, or a treasure hunter, that doesn't mean you can have them either

Really? Is that why there are over 600,000 firearms LEGALLY registered in Honduras??? Insecurity Fuels Honduras Illegal Gun Ownership of Over 1 Mn - InSight Crime | Organized Crime in the Americas
Is that why a Honduran lawyer, Armida Lopez de Arguello, who is NOT representing the Americans said this: "From my point of view, what is happening is a gross misunderstanding of the law in Honduras" by the police, the judge and the state prosecutor, she said, adding that the Americans are scheduled to have another hearing in mid-June. Americans stuck weeks in Honduran prison

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Really? Is that why there are over 600,000 firearms LEGALLY registered in Honduras??? Insecurity Fuels Honduras Illegal Gun Ownership of Over 1 Mn - InSight Crime | Organized Crime in the Americas
Is that why a Honduran lawyer, Armida Lopez de Arguello, who is NOT representing the Americans said this: "From my point of view, what is happening is a gross misunderstanding of the law in Honduras" by the police, the judge and the state prosecutor, she said, adding that the Americans are scheduled to have another hearing in mid-June. Americans stuck weeks in Honduran prison

Yeah, really,
And it's probably time for them to find someone who will represent them, but it's such a heinous crime there, that it probably won't do them much good,

17,000? They were letting them go Scott free.......

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But you said you can't own a gun in Honduras legally for ANY reason....

That is complete baloney.

The guns were legally registered in the United States and the men were going through the process of registering them in Honduras...You might want to educate yourself on what the Port Captain in Honduras has to say about the incident.

These guys are going to walk. Soon.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
But you said you can't own a gun in Honduras legally for ANY reason....

That is complete baloney.

The guns were legally registered in the United States and the men were going through the process of registering them in Honduras...You might want to educate yourself on what the Port Captain in Honduras has to say about the incident.

These guys are going to walk. Soon.

LOL
I'm sure the port captain in Honduras feels nothing but love for those gentlemen, ...
Men that have his position in Honduras usually are caring and benevolent...

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

El padron, it is always wise to research first...

Honduras to reevaluate gun control laws

"Under the existing law, citizens are allowed to own as many as five personal firearms. According to statistics released last month by theUnited Nations Office on Drugs and Crime(UNODC), Honduras’ homicide rate for 2011 was 92 per 100,000, up from 82 the previous year.:

http://iapcar.org/?p=1095

"Current law still makes the purchase, ownership, and possession of firearms legal and it describes the type of firearms permitted for civilian ownership.[7]"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Honduras

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
El padron keep US politics out of your posts...

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
El padron, it is always wise to research first...

Honduras to reevaluate gun control laws

"Under the existing law, citizens are allowed to own as many as five personal firearms. According to statistics released last month by theUnited Nations Office on Drugs and Crime(UNODC), Honduras’ homicide rate for 2011 was 92 per 100,000, up from 82 the previous year.:

IAPCAR » Honduras to reevaluate gun control laws

"Current law still makes the purchase, ownership, and possession of firearms legal and it describes the type of firearms permitted for civilian ownership.[7]"

Gun politics in Honduras - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wow, Honduras? I wonder when that happened.... Well in that case, they're going to spend the summer there and then walk.....

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you're going to do any kind of business in the 3rd World, you had for damn sure better be prepared- emotionally, morally and financially- to buy your way out of a sticky situation. When El Policia confiscate your guns, claim they're illegal and demand $18K, you pay it and get the **** out of there. You played the game that is 'treasure hunting in 3rd world countries' and rolled snake eyes. This is why its risky in those places.

PS: On this page
It says nobody can bring firearms into Honduras except diplomats or people authorized to do so for hunting/sport shooting purposes and that anyone who wants firearms for protection in Honduras must purchase them there.

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you're going to do any kind of business in the 3rd World, you had for damn sure better be prepared- emotionally, morally and financially- to buy your way out of a sticky situation. When El Policia confiscate your guns, claim they're illegal and demand $18K, you pay it and get the **** out of there. You played the game that is 'treasure hunting in 3rd world countries' and rolled snake eyes. This is why its risky in those places.

PS: On this page
It says nobody can bring firearms into Honduras except diplomats or people authorized to do so for hunting/sport shooting purposes and that anyone who wants firearms for protection in Honduras must purchase them there.

Off course the same laws that apply to citizens of Honduras, certainly don't apply to a ship full of guns manned by foreigners.
Simply declaring them does not necessarily give anybody the right to carry weapons in places like Honduras
It's very arrogant to do so....

Wikipedia is great, what would some folks do without it huh?, but common sense is better....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread