The Mercedes Coins Go On Show

Threshold

Mar 3, 2012
Riverside, CA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garret Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man thats pretty messed up that they took the time, effort, and money to recover the bounty just to have Spain take it back. But I guess the part where they messed up is in treasure hunting Spain's water. Thats a hard debate.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you ask permission and they say no, no means no.
You still do it, you have to give it back.
Then you get fined.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
When you ask permission and they say no, no means no.
You still do it, you have to give it back.
Then you get fined.

That depends on what country you're in. A lot of countries do not recognize Spain's soverign immunity.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots to talk about this treasure. Nautical data at hand, unfortunate events (not yet cleared) and political decisions that were taken, could prove that white is white and black is black, because now, white is black and black is white.
It is no coincidence that my book Galleons and sunken treasure (with chapter Mercedes) was published in February 2007 and in May 2007 appeared the treasure, and that same chapter it was used as an argument in the court of Tampa by Odyssey and Spain.

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odyssey stole those coins from Spain, who didn't steal those precious metals from their colonies because they legally obtained those colonies through legal plunder and colonialism. The slaves that died in vast numbers digging up those pms were legally owned by the Spanish government and legally worked to death by said govt. Odyssey should be punished for stealing that treasure that the Spanish left on the bottom of the ocean for 200 years. And don't worry , the archaeologists were going to eventually get around to it in another few hundred years or so, dig it up and archive most of it in some museum basement for study so that the rest of us plebes can't see, oops I mean destroy it.
So there BAAAAAAD Odyssey.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all this treasure back to the Spanish motherland, there is a detail that gives much to ponder: had to be an Odyssey Marine to remove it from oblivion, because ... being a Spanish initiative! I remember in 1992 there was an exhibition in Madrid "Indias fleet" with 99.99% of the pieces are on loan from Bob Marx and Robert Stenuit. Sad, very sad !!

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Mercedes was a warship on a mission of state"

"The exhibition at the Naval Museum tells the story of Diego de Alvear, the second-in-command of the Spanish squadron, whose wife was aboard the Mercedes, along with seven of his children. He was later compensated by the British for his loss."

???:dontknow::BangHead::dontknow:???

Trembull

Jul 24, 2010
Oklahoma __ Y'All
Primary Interest:
Other
Madrid exhibitions turn the final page on tale of Spanish ship?s treasure | In English | EL PAÍS
I have always said Spain would never sell the coins !! Trez does this mean I've won our bet !

Caption under pictures states 30,000 coins on display

Then two paragraphs down:

And there she would remain, forgotten for more than a century, until US deep-sea treasure hunting company Odyssey located the vessel in 2009 and removed around 600,000 mainly silver coins, along with other items.

Don't beat your chest there to hard TARZAN

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caption under pictures states 30,000 coins on display

Then two paragraphs down:

And there she would remain, forgotten for more than a century, until US deep-sea treasure hunting company Odyssey located the vessel in 2009 and removed around 600,000 mainly silver coins, along with other items.

Don't beat your chest there to hard TARZAN

It is undeniable that:

In all this treasure back to the Spanish motherland, there is a detail that gives much to ponder: had to be an Odyssey Marine to remove it from oblivion, because ... being a Spanish initiative! I remember in 1992 there was an exhibition in Madrid "Indias fleet" with 99.99% of the pieces are on loan from Bob Marx and Robert Stenuit. Sad, very sad !!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
uh wasn't the coins owned by merchants "shipping" them homeward to spain -- so how does SPAIN the country get to keep them --rather than the decendents of the "original" shippers as per the ships manifest
?

EnriqueMayor

Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to go to the National Archaeological Museum in my city, Madrid.
I liked everything they had there ... The Lady of Elche, Roman & Arabic Architecture are unbelievable.
But part of the Odyssey´s treasure and other pirate treasure was amazing!
Many pirate coins, gold and silver, were there along with a small recreation.

It´s perfect for who likes antiques of all kinds (also Egyptian, Phoenician, Arabic, Visigoth ...)

I recommend visit that museum if you visit Madrid ... I´m sure that you will love it!

Harry

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Madrid exhibitions turn the final page on tale of Spanish ship?s treasure | In English | EL PAÍS
I have always said Spain would never sell the coins !! Trez does this mean I've won our bet !

My friend Sam,
The bet is still good my friend, time passes and we will still see...a few of those pieces will find their way into private hands (all ready?) and then more will mysteriously be found in public collectors hands...my hands will not want one though...simply for the fact that I strictly collect coinage in the cruder handmade style of spanish cobs.
But when the day comes and if I get my hands on one those Mercedes coins, I will give the coin to you. No questions asked, other than "told you so"

Cheers Mate,
Trez

Beer and Golf is still offered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend Sam, The bet is still good my friend, time passes and we will still see...a few of those pieces will find their way into private hands (all ready?) and then more will mysteriously be found in public collectors hands...my hands will not want one though...simply for the fact that I strictly collect coinage in the cruder handmade style of spanish cobs. But when the day comes and if I get my hands on one those Mercedes coins, I will give the coin to you. No questions asked, other than "told you so" Cheers Mate, Trez Beer and Golf is still offered.
Gday Trez. The beer and golf sound great , I still have my eye on your cob with the Nazi cross. I also prefer Cobs Cheers , Sam

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Funny they returned them. They did return them, didn't they?

What's the difference (in Spanish eyes) between the Mercedes and the Maravilla?

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I would have dumped the whole mess right back into the ocean where I found it before I would turn it over.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I predict that only a small portion will see the light of day, and the rest will gradually disappear (or maybe all at once).

Mona Lisa. - really. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread