Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends, what a Good News!!!

España y México se unen para rescatar tesoro del galeón 'Juncal'

"Spain & Mexico decided to work together for the first time in a plan to rescue the legendary galleon "Juncal" sunk in 1631, a large shipment of gold and silver."
I really hope they can discover it and bring to Madrid and the rest of the world

This news is in spanish language. I´ll try to search it in english.

barco-hundido.jpg

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

"Spain & Mexico decided to work together for the first time in a plan to rescue the legendary galleon "Juncal" sunk in 1631, a large shipment of gold and silver."
I really hope they can discover it and bring to Madrid and the rest of the world

View attachment 1010805

How are you?
If two governments are jointly involved, its not looking good.
Roughly where do they expect it two be?

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
How are you?
If two governments are jointly involved, its not looking good.
Roughly where do they expect it two be?
el padron, There is plenty of Research by Jack Haskins and others to pin point an approximate location of the Juncal. I have some of that Research in my archives in the attic. If you want me to post it? Give me a day or two , when I have time to go through the research and I will post it.
I just have two comments.
#1. It's about time that Spain got up off its butt and went looking for one of its treasure wrecks. I congratulate them on that. At least they aren't stealing treasure that someone else paid to salvage.
#2. So much for all the BS that Spain has been putting out that it is only interested in its Historical Patrimony. It looks like they are only interested in Treasure.

Last edited:

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
el padron, There is plenty of Research by Jack Haskins and others to pin point an approximate location of the Juncal. I have some of that Research in my archives in the attic. If you want me to post it? Give me a day or two , when I have time to go through the research and I will post it. I just have two comments. #1. It's about time that Spain got up off its butt and went looking for one of its treasure wrecks. I congratulate them on that. At least they aren't stealing treasure that someone else paid to salvage. #2. So much for all the BS that Spain has been putting out that it is only interested in its Historical Patrimony. It looks like they are only interested in Treasure.
#2 It looks like they are only interested in Treasure ? So they can show it off in their Museums and in Mexico and not be sold on eBay. I can understand your frustration being a treasure Hunter. Once it is on show you can pay to go look at it . Ossy

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bottom line is the Juncal has not been found. Experts have searched for it but could never find it. It would cost millions to attempt a search for the wreck. Spain can't afford it neither can Mexico. Spain's new king has cut back on the expenses of his inauguration to reflect a sign of the times.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line is the Juncal has not been found. Experts have searched for it but could never find it. It would cost millions to attempt a search for the wreck. Spain can't afford it neither can Mexico. Spain's new king has cut back on the expenses of his inauguration to reflect a sign of the times.

Your're right, Salvor6. Spain is bankrupt and has a 26% unemployment rate. The last thing they can afford is a shipwreck search.

Of course a cynic might suggest they could finance a search for the Juncal through the 570,000 Mercedes coins that did not make it to the public display and probably never will...

You can bet there are some VIP's in Spain that suddenly have treasure fever big time....

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Dr. Fernando Serrano Mangas, one of the best, if not the best Spanish historian of the Carrera de las Indias, has published in 2012 THE book on the Juncal, the Santo Antonio and the Santa Teresa: "Los tres credos de don Andrés de Aristizábal. Ensayo sobre los enigmas de los naufragios de la Capitana y la Almiranta de la flota de Nueva España de 1631".

It is a must read for anyone working with these time frame and fleets. Also, it pratically puts the X on the map for the whereabouts of the Juncal - apparently, this book was censored by the Mexican authorities exactly because of that...

Naufragio del Juncal: asunto de seguridad nacional

A review of it (in French):

Fernando Serrano Mangas, Los tres credos de don Andrés de Aristizábal

Last edited:

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr. Fernando Serrano Mangas, one of the best, if not the best Spanish historian of the Carrera de las Indias, has published in 2012 THE book on the Juncal, the Santo Antonio and the Santa Teresa: "Los tres credos de don Andrés de Aristizábal. Ensayo sobre los enigmas de los naufragios de la Capitana y la Almiranta de la flota de Nueva España de 1631". It is a must read for anyone working with these time frame and fleets. Also, it pratically puts the X on the map for the whereabouts of the Juncal - apparently, this book was censored by the Mexican authorities exactly because of that... Naufragio del Juncal: asunto de seguridad nacional A review of it (in Frenc Fernando Serrano Mangas, Los tres credos de don Andrés de Aristizábal
Welcome back Alexandre , As Claudio mention, Odyssey would love to get this one. I did have information regarding the Mexican navy guarding the site, so they know were it is. hows your project going with the Spanish galleon off the coast of Portugal, I subscribe to Nat Geo, looking forward to see your smiling face on the cover. Ossy

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dr. Fernando Serrano Mangas, one of the best, if not the best Spanish historian of the Carrera de las Indias, has published in 2012 THE book on the Juncal, the Santo Antonio and the Santa Teresa: "Los tres credos de don Andrés de Aristizábal. Ensayo sobre los enigmas de los naufragios de la Capitana y la Almiranta de la flota de Nueva España de 1631".

It is a must read for anyone working with these time frame and fleets. Also, it pratically puts the X on the map for the whereabouts of the Juncal - apparently, this book was censored by the Mexican authorities exactly because of that...

Naufragio del Juncal: asunto de seguridad nacional

A review of it (in French):

Fernando Serrano Mangas, Los tres credos de don Andrés de Aristizábal

The worst thing you can do is put an "X" where are the galleons. It is the nightmare of "mafia of the galleons," yes, because there is a mafia of the galleons!

Capt.Betances

Mar 27, 2012
Franklin, NJ (for now)
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX, Garrett GTI 2500, Sea Hunter Mark II, Garrett ACE 400, Minelab X-Terra, Garrett Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer AT, Eagle Eye, LRL, Audio generator app Tone, home-made dowsing L-rod,
A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1010805

Jesus, use Google Translate!

OP
OP
EnriqueMayor

EnriqueMayor

Dec 13, 2013
Madrid
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I hope you can understand it correctly;

"MEXICO, DF Mexico-Spain and decided to work together for the first time in a plan to rescue the legendary galleon "Jones" sunk in 1631, a large shipment of gold and silver.

This is just one of many boats capsized colonial era and lie still with their valuable shipments under the waters off the coast of this country, as published by the website ansa.it.

El Pais newspaper revealed that a bilateral agreement to carry out this complex adventure will be signed during the forthcoming visit of President Enrique Peña Nieto to Spain.

The ship left the port of Veracruz, the scene of three foreign invasions of Mexico, and sank on October 31, 1631 against the shores of the state of Campeche, in the Gulf of Mexico, with 300 people on board of which only 39 survived.

The treasure had on board this vessel was estimated at one million 77 thousand 840 pesos a fabulous figure then incalculable prices current, but more interesting is that he was the greatest left loading "New World", according to the then viceroy New Spain, the Marquis of Cerralbo.
The Mexican government refuses to allow the Treasury rescue by people who are not employed by the State

According to the National Institute of Anthropology and History of Mexico, "the underwater cultural heritage belongs to the category of goods under study, safekeeping and distribution, which in themselves are inalienable and imprescriptible and not easily marketable."

Definitely the ship "Nuestra Señora del Juncal" is the "icing on the cake" of all ships that are submerged in the Mexican coast, including Santa Teresa and San Antonio ship sunk in the state of Tabasco, also in the Southeast.

Groups of "treasure hunters" have long sought to reach an agreement with the Mexican government to rescue the galleon, but the bureaucratic procedures moving very slowly.

"There are many shipwrecks in Mexico. Were working with the Mexican government to try to get the permissions but things take too long.'s Dealings with governments take a lot more than we delay doing business," said Mark Gordon, Odyssey Marine Exploration President, told BBC in October 2011.

But the Mexican government refuses to allow the rescue of people who are not employed by the government.

The story of the sunken galleon is fascinating and dates back to October 28, 1631, when it happened which is considered the most relevant to the history and archeology of Mexico underwater naval tragedy.

To go under, in the Gulf of Mexico, the flag-ship of the Fleet of New Spain from 1630-1631, Our Lady of Juncal, due to a powerful storm, precious metals that were with him were lost for at least nearly four centuries.

The ship had been damaged and began to take on water, so it was dragged to the coast of Campeche.

The Andres Aristizabal, Admiral thought that this would be their salvation but in the end only 39 people were saved in a boat and the rest died, including the captain himself.

Fernando Serrano, PhD in history from the University of Sevilla, considered overweight carrying the ships for carrying a huge cargo of precious metals and structural difficulties modifications were previously subjected to carry more troops and artillery were some of the causes of the wreck.

However, also attributed the tragedy to the fleet sailed in a wrong time of year when there are many Norths, weather accompanied by high winds and storms.

The fact that it has sunk in shallow waters just in the area where there are rich Mexican oil fields, called Campeche, and this is the most substantial cargo of gold and silver in history have become the most coveted project treasure hunters.
"

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
Interesting.

For a couple of hundred years Spain shows no inclination to fund any meaningful salvage operations to recover its lost treasure ships, preferring to lurk in the shadows and pounce on independent salvors through litigation.

Suddenly they get their mitts on the Mercedes treasure, put 5% of the treasure on display, stash the rest "somewhere" (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) and announce a partnership with Mexico to salvage another treasure ship.

Coincidence ?

The_Colonel

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And? It's their choice to do it that way. Just because a car has been sitting on the side of the road for a week doesn't give you the right to go and strip parts off it.

'salving' without permission is thievery. Plain and simple.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions