Tide changes:

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I went to the Jupiter camea site and was studing the wide scan photos. I noticed something that I feel is very important to those searching this area like SEAHUNTER.
Go to that site and take a close look and compare all the wide scan photos and look at the beach tide lines.
In the first photo the water is fairly clean this shows it is high tide because in the following photos you will see that the water at the Inlet is turning brown. This shows the tide is going out.
What I am trying to say is that there are tons of sand being dropped outside the inlet and this has been going on for many many years so what sand you blow way today will be back in a few days.
I know that most of you already know this but I just thought some of you might be interested also notice that the sand is moving south and barely any sand is going north.
I suggest that you start checking more to the North.
There are a few intersting items to be found there.
Peg Leg

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Look at the difference in the beach width, pre and post hurricanes:

Attachments

• JImay02.jpg
    JImay02.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 783
  • JImarch07.jpg
    JImarch07.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 788

Skimmer

Nov 2, 2006
Wow. gdaddy-
And where is all that pre-hurricane sand now? Yup...just off the beach on top of the scatter trail. Thats why we have to dig for 30 minutes to get to bedrock, and coins. Impressive before and after pics. Thank you. Mike

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Peg Leg, that brown water is nasty bay water, fresh water and runoff, not much sand. If we lived in an area that had more than a few inches of elevation every hundred miles, we might have some sediment flowing out to sea. I dive all the time, sometimes in and around inlets, and there is not much of anything solid coming out. Like gdaddyflex said, its mainly the winter storms and hurricanes that move the sand. When the surf is big, there is a lot of sand mixed with the water. And the nearshore currents move it North, unless the wind is howling out of the North. When there is no storm, the sand doesnt change much if at all, except right on shore. The only sand coming out of the jetty, will be sand that was put there by hurricanes and on real strong moon tides, like in the spring or maybe after a flooding rain and ebbing tide. And the Gulf Stream current goes North, but it is a few miles offshore, maybe you saw the wind blowing the current to the South. Sometimes there is eddies of current that swirl around, especially near jetties. Steve.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
yeah, that was me Cappy Z. We honestly believe we have found (parts of) one of the missing 1715 wrecks, but as I noted before, none of them have ever been positively identified. That is why the admirality reads: unknown abandoned sailing ship or something to that effect.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I will take my post hole diggers and a measuring tape with me the next time I hit the beach and get you an answer.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Tom,

Wow, that comparison is amazing. I didn't know the beach had lost that much sand. Basically we were blowing where the shoreline was.

I really wonder how far the coins go under the beach? or even the parking lot?

Robert

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I am not familiar with that beach. Has it been renourished?... and if not, why?

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
bigcypress,

That is Jupiter Inlet. Seahunter's site!

We were blowing holes on the RioBravo where the edge of the beach used to be before the hurricanes.

No, they haven't renourished it. Don't know why!

Robert

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I am not sure if any beach renourishment was done in this area after the hurricanes. Maybe Scott can answer? If not, I wonder why?

The last 2 weeks or so have slowly eroded more of the beach.

However, it is now turtle nesting season, so no work can be done until November.

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I checked with the DEP and there was NOTHING done to this beach area according to them.
This would be a great time to check the beach out with your MD and a small shovel.
If you will notice I believe that since this is NOT a well used Public Beach that NO funds were spent to refurbish this s4section of beach.
Peg Leg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Peg Leg said:
I checked with the DEP and there was NOTHING done to this beach area according to them.
This would be a great time to check the beach out with your MD and a small shovel.
If you will notice I believe that since this is NOT a well used Public Beach that NO funds were spent to refurbish this s4section of beach.
Peg Leg
There must be some spikes and timbers showing up. Where what is found on this beach may even help Scott.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
I know there has to be some coins being found on the beach. The last time we were there, Luis' wife was detecting on the beachand found a large timber in the dunes with two rows of spikes. But it didn't look old enough, to be from the mid 1600's. Although it could have been very well preserved in the dunes.

Robert

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
stevemc said:
Peg Leg, that brown water is nasty bay water, fresh water and runoff, not much sand. If we lived in an area that had more than a few inches of elevation every hundred miles, we might have some sediment flowing out to sea. I dive all the time, sometimes in and around inlets, and there is not much of anything solid coming out. Like gdaddyflex said, its mainly the winter storms and hurricanes that move the sand. When the surf is big, there is a lot of sand mixed with the water. And the nearshore currents move it North, unless the wind is howling out of the North. When there is no storm, the sand doesnt change much if at all, except right on shore. The only sand coming out of the jetty, will be sand that was put there by hurricanes and on real strong moon tides, like in the spring or maybe after a flooding rain and ebbing tide. And the Gulf Stream current goes North, but it is a few miles offshore, maybe you saw the wind blowing the current to the South. Sometimes there is eddies of current that swirl around, especially near jetties. Steve.
Stevemc,
Go to the Jupiter Inlet camera site and go down the the photo section.
You will see where the dark water starts coming out of the inlet. You will also notice that this dark water DOES NOTgo north it shows that it is spreading south and straight out with very little going north.
I have no idea why this is happening but it is.

If anyone recovers ANY ship wood from this area I would be greatly interested.
As you all know I have several Silver Nails that were removed from SHIPWRECK wood and the wood was thrown away. I want to drive the nails back into some OLD SHIPWRECK wood to make a display.
I would even purchase the wood.
Thanks
Peg leg
As I have mentioned I have several Silver Nails that were recovered but were pulled from the wood :'(

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Wait for the next hurricane and you can fill your yard with wood. :D :D

OP
OP
P

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Cappy Z
There is no doubt in my mind that this will turn out to be a FACT.
They have not even recovered the tip of the iceberg of what is available in the Jupiter Inlet area. Wait till after the next BIG STORM unless of course you want to search a little further.
I PREDICT THAT SEAHUNTER will discoverer a MAJOR MAJOR FIND THIS SEASON.
Peg Leg

SEAHUNTER

Jan 10, 2006
PALM BEACH COUNTY,FLORIDA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg leg
I sure hope you are right. As soon as we find some wood I will send it to you. And if we find emeralds we will be sure to let you know ::)
Seahunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Cappy Z. said:
It would appear that the Jupiter Inlet area has more potential for on-shore success than say Fort Pierce, or even Sebastian. Is this true?

Cap Z.
I dont know about Jupiter, but after the two last back to back big storms, you could not walk down the Treasure beaches without climbing over and around wood of all shapes and sizes, much of it old, much of it buried again quickly, and others pushed into large piles and taken to the dump. There is not much you can do with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread