Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Ossy. That was very interesting. Do you think that if they found the San Marcos the Irish govt. will give everything they find to Spain?

OP
OP
MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ossy. That was very interesting. Do you think that if they found the San Marcos the Irish govt. will give everything they find to Spain?
No I don't think so , But it would all go into a museum so we all can see it, not sold on eBay

Bobadilla

Sep 25, 2006
Dominican Republic
Hi Alexandre,
You are for me top expert on Portuguese shipwrecks around the world. Do you happen to have any record about lost Portuguese ships on the northern coast of Hispaniola, exactly between Puerto Plata and Samana, between 1500 - 1800? Some Portuguese coins have been found together with French coins on one shipwreck from around 1780 and there was at least one or two Portuguese slave ships lost in this area as well.
Thanks for your answer,
Regards,
Lobo

Alexandre

Bronze Member
Oct 21, 2009
Lisbon
Hi Lobo, we do have at the National Archives all matters related to Portuguese ships sailing worldwide, around 1760-1830. However, these are not indexed - as a matter of fact, I do believe the great majority of these documents have been last read upon their making.

I have been currently looking for shipwrecks in the SE Asia, while bound to or coming from Macao, around the 1810-1830, for my PhD thesis and the details (of people, place of loss, cargo, etc.) are mind boggling. I do believe the same happens with the shipwrecks that have occured in the Caribbean, for ships coming out of Africa and Brazil, but I also know that details will evaporate from the written reccord on what refers to slave ships, starting the enforcement of the anti-slavery policies.

Have you had your Portuguese coins examined?

Hi Alexandre,
You are for me top expert on Portuguese shipwrecks around the world. Do you happen to have any record about lost Portuguese ships on the northern coast of Hispaniola, exactly between Puerto Plata and Samana, between 1500 - 1800? Some Portuguese coins have been found together with French coins on one shipwreck from around 1780 and there was at least one or two Portuguese slave ships lost in this area as well.
Thanks for your answer,
Regards,
Lobo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread