Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Chase. You may have found the Merestyn, a Dutch carrack that sank in Table Bay!

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see any treasure?????

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
If anything is dated 1702, it is definitely not the Merestein. She went down in April, 1702 but had departed from Texel enroute to the East Indies in October, 1701.
Coins recovered from the wreck in the 1970's were entirely Dutch silver coins with mint dates in the 1600's.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There is another fleet of 30 Dutch vessels that sank in Table Bay in 1715. Spanish coins were the common currency used world wide at that time. I find it hard to believe that the Merestyn was carrying coins over 100 years old. Also, the Merestyn was RETURNING from Indonesia when she sank.

Last edited:

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
The dates were varied from the Merestein recovery. Ranging from the 1620's to the 1690's. There were also some Spanish coins recovered. But most were Dutch silver. Although, they only found 15,000 coins, some lead ingots and a bronze cannon. There is likely a lot more still out there.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The dates were varied from the Merestein recovery. Ranging from the 1620's to the 1690's. There were also some Spanish coins recovered. But most were Dutch silver. Although, they only found 15,000 coins, some lead ingots and a bronze cannon. There is likely a lot more still out there.

Allen could you enlighten us a little? Who conducted the Merestyn recovery? When? They found only 15,000 coins. Who are they? I agree there is more out there. If it was an early recovery, they didn't have the technology to excavate deep (Mel Fisher's blowers).

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It was 1971. A diver by the name of GS Chowles. Very small operation, as you can imagine.
The coins and lead bars were then sold to a local restaurant owner in Cape Town in 1975. And from there, eventually were auctioned and sold to Sedwick Coins where you can purchase them today.

Shipwreck Treasure Cob Coins from Spanish Shipwrecks: Atocha, 1715 Fleet,Maravillas, Margarita, Consolacion, Capitana, 1713 Fleet, Golden Fleece.

Thanks so much Allen. By the way, Merstein is the Germanic pronunciation of Merestyn. I know. I spent over one year living in Key West. My favorite hang out was the "Stick & Stein." I never met a Dutchman there. :laughing7:

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should,post one picture of your gold bar here, let the experts help!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
BVI you send him an email for the photos, I am scared my meager bank account will get cleared out if I do. then you can send em to me.......

bay pirate

Aug 26, 2012
Mobile Bay
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Chases reply on the "Spanish gold found in NJ beach"

Hi, can you please email me I think I've struck a Spanish treasure trove and need help identifying what I all have.. dates such as 1563 appear. Please help if possible.

so chase, either your have discovered a time machine galleon that has coins from 161 year span or your fishing for something

Last edited by a moderator:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
HmmpppHH! Jupiter Wreck is not fond memories to me rather a nightmare of a lost opportunity when I was turned away from a salvage effort in 1977-78 by the Jupiter Inlet Commission (the DuBoises). That was before the jetty was extended thus burying much under tons of granite. Sorry, no fond memories with that one... .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread