Anyone know the difference between VCO and NORMAL on a Tesoro Sand Shark?

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good question. Terry Soloman told me to always use normal mode, so thats what I do.

Maybe Terry will be along to explain the difference.

Last edited:

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have several Tesoro machines with VCO/ Normal settling. I never looked a manual and I said " what the heck ! " . Now that I know what it is , I find it very helpful to determine depth. I would call it an audible depth indicator. If the target is shallow , the vco will scream high. If you sweep a target and the pitch does not change greatly , then it is somewhat deep. I am not an expert but hope this helps. I switched from normal to VCO two afternoons ago to listen to a target that was a minnie ball bullet no more 3 inches down and the Tejon's VCO was vibrating the whole detector saying the target was shallow.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I have several Tesoro machines with VCO/ Normal settling. I never looked a manual and I said " what the heck ! " . Now that I know what it is , I find it very helpful to determine depth. I would call it an audible depth indicator. If the target is shallow , the vco will scream high. If you sweep a target and the pitch does not change greatly , then it is somewhat deep. I am not an expert but hope this helps. I switched from normal to VCO two afternoons ago to listen to a target that was a minnie ball bullet no more 3 inches down and the Tejon's VCO was vibrating the whole detector saying the target was shallow.

But doesn't the size of the target affect the signal strength? I mean, isn't a submarine buried 3 feet deep going to make the machine scream louder than a bullet at 3 inches?

Paging Terry Soloman, please pick up the white courtesy phone in the lobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great answers, I am off to a place where people swim, so I'll report any finds on VCO or Normal,, thanks for the feed back, Terry, pick up, ( boatlode keeps a grenade handy)

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Fisher 2-box has VCO, which gets louder as you walk over a large target (such as a pipeline) then gradually decreases if keep on moving. That depends on what you are hunting. From another T-Net member who owns a Sand Shark, he said the VCO helps him to better pinpoint a target, when hunting under the water.

I suppose this is user skill and personal preference as to which mode works best. On my old Garrett GTA 1000, pressing the pinpoint button put you in VCO and produced audible sound which increased as you get directly over the target.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Fisher Gold Bug-2 now that I think about it, is VCO in normal mode which can be a faint audible sound on tiny bits of gold. These type detectors tend to scream out over large targets.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My Fisher Gold Bug-2 now that I think about it, is VCO in normal mode which can be a faint audible sound on tiny bits of gold. These type detectors tend to scream out over large targets.

Thanks for the comments,

Went out today with it, the VCO was really screaming low to loud on all the pull tabs and soda can tops as I moved the head back and forth over them. It did the same with the 12 cents I found too, sigh.

Great afternoon though getting used to the machine.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks for the comments,

Went out today with it, the VCO was really screaming low to loud on all the pull tabs and soda can tops as I moved the head back and forth over them. It did the same with the 12 cents I found too, sigh.

Great afternoon though getting used to the machine.

Did you notice any difference from 'normal' mode? I haven't ever used VCO mode.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yeh, normal mode changes tone when you get a hit VCO screams at you louder and louder as you get over the target. Found out this afternoon.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Sand Shark has two distinct operating modes: VCO and Normal. When working in the VCO (voltage controlled oscillator) mode, as targets get closer to the coil, the threshold generates a louder, higher pitched tone which is great for pinpointing. The Normal mode works with a single tone and is used for beachcombing and deeper prolonged searches.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Terry,

You're the best, I will try the normal mode next trip out to see how that feels

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You da man Terry. Haven't used VCO yet but will try it next time I'm digging a deep target.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VCO stands for Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Its a fancy way of saying all metal mode and performs the same as all metal or pinpoint mode on other detectors. In VCO what occurs is that as a target approaches the coil the increased signal strength stimulates the detector circuits, increases the voltage, and increases the pitch of the tone... just like pinpoint mode does on other detectors. Unlike pinpoint mode, on most detectors, you will have to sweep the detector to produce the tone. I'm not certain if your model uses sweep or has a no-motion mode. Pinpoint mode in most detectors is a no-motion mode.
Normal mode is just a discriminate mode of operation.
VCO will be deeper than normal mode~

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
VCO stands for Voltage Controlled Oscillator. Its a fancy way of saying all metal mode and performs the same as all metal or pinpoint mode on other detectors. In VCO what occurs is that as a target approaches the coil the increased signal strength stimulates the detector circuits, increases the voltage, and increases the pitch of the tone... just like pinpoint mode does on other detectors. Unlike pinpoint mode, on most detectors, you will have to sweep the detector to produce the tone. I'm not certain if your model uses sweep or has a no-motion mode. Pinpoint mode in most detectors is a no-motion mode.
Normal mode is just a discriminate mode of operation.
VCO will be deeper than normal mode~

Sand Shark is a PI machine - no discrimination.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...VCO will be deeper than normal mode~

Not in my experience with the Sand Shark. I am much more likely to hear whisper breaks in the threshold while in Normal mode on deeper targets.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not in my experience with the Sand Shark. I am much more likely to hear whisper breaks in the threshold while in Normal mode on deeper targets.

DDancer thought we were talking about a discriminating machine in all-metal mode. He didn't know the Sand Shark is a PI machine.

If VCO is deeper than normal mode, I'm not gonna mess with it. I'm already digging small nails at 12". A few weeks ago I dug up a foot long piece of steel re-bar and I could hear Chinese being spoken in the hole.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the PI Tesoro detectors still come with a printed spiral coil, that was a coil designed to get small or thin targets like fine gold chains down in the sand.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread