Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experts on here: Capstan's bar??

Hey all!

I know a lot of you guys are great at identifying shipwreck pieces on here, and was wondering if you could take a look at this, and give your opinion...

I have had some time off, and have been taking some pics of some items that were bought back in the mid 80's at an estate auction of a guy that was basically like Indiana Jones...The things that were no-sales could outfit a museum!!

Anyway...I was a kid, and managed to buy my first 1715 8 reale from the auction...and this item listed in the catalog as "Atocha capstan's bar"

I know that a lot of capstans were wooden hubs, with holes that the wooden handles were inserted in to turn them, but could this have been a smaller mechanism that had bronze handles that were permanently driven in?

Or is it part of something else, or just a ship's spike? It is on the long side, and round with a head, and a chisel end...

It is encrusted...and the little "wings" on it were described as parts of the ship's wood, but I don't know about that, or if it is just more coral....

Thanks for taking a look!!

Artifacts 007.JPG

Artifacts 008.JPG

Artifacts 009.JPG

Artifacts 010.JPG

Not the greatest pictures...but it was dark outside when I took them, so I did it in the house!

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! Looks familiar!

So do you think that is wood on mine?

It looks and feels like it...

OP
OP
Jon Phillips

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to help me out on that!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread