BCs as lift bags; coin identification books?

Divedoc

Greenie
Dec 22, 2013
Key West
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old BCD's work great,

you need to ensure the dump valve can remain at the highest point of the lift at all times so you can control it. The old horse collars are a great lift bag too.

Be careful with the BCD's not remaining as one entity.

Darren in NC has used a scooter a lot over the years drop him a pm

Last edited:

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DiveDoc...

Underwater scooters make excellent excavation tools when turned backwards. I would recommend using one with variable speeds and testing it out in an area where no harm can come to the site you are working on so you get used to doing this and don't use too much force and damage the goodies you are uncovering. Once you get experienced with this tool, you will be able to know how to give a spot a light dusting all the way on up to serious hole making. Also, it will take some getting used to controlling the scooter so it doesn't blow you out of the hole depending on the speed used. Good luck with it and if you have any further questions about it, ask away.

PhipsFolly

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Old BCD's work great,

you need to ensure the dump valve can remain at the highest point of the lift at all times so you can control it. The old horse collars are a great lift bag too.

Be careful with the BCD's not remaining as one entity.

I agree with the old " Horse Collars ."

OP
OP
D

Divedoc

Greenie
Dec 22, 2013
Key West
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
DiveDoc...

Underwater scooters make excellent excavation tools when turned backwards. I would recommend using one with variable speeds and testing it out in an area where no harm can come to the site you are working on so you get used to doing this and don't use too much force and damage the goodies you are uncovering. Once you get experienced with this tool, you will be able to know how to give a spot a light dusting all the way on up to serious hole making. Also, it will take some getting used to controlling the scooter so it doesn't blow you out of the hole depending on the speed used. Good luck with it and if you have any further questions about it, ask away.

PhipsFolly
Thanks for the advice. I thought about anchoring it to the seabed with a few bungee cords and a weight belt to help control it.

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One year Carl Fredrick's gave me a tool to try. It was a scooter without the scooter, was just the blade and battery. He called it the Digger .I never tried or tested it on land. Went down 140 ft , got on my knees and started it up. It moved a tremendous amount of sand , within seconds I realized I no longer had a regulator in my mouth, it was caught in the diggers blades and ripped from my mouth. If you r going to use a scooter to move sand it will work. Just make sure there's a shroud around the prop and ur regulator is secured around your neck with surgical tub

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
One year Carl Fredrick's gave me a tool to try. It was a scooter without the scooter, was just the blade and battery. He called it the Digger .I never tried or tested it on land. Went down 140 ft , got on my knees and started it up. It moved a tremendous amount of sand , within seconds I realized I no longer had a regulator in my mouth, it was caught in the diggers blades and ripped from my mouth. If you r going to use a scooter to move sand it will work. Just make sure there's a shroud around the prop and ur regulator is secured around your neck with surgical tub

OOOOOOOPPPPPPSSSSS !!!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

I would pay good money to see that you tube video ha ha, glad your still with us.

I stabbed myself once with a dive knife setting the depth spring on my gauge, oh and by the way I was wearing a dry suit, oops.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only have I used BC,s but have used everything from a swiss army gear bag... to a five gallon bucket.
None of which had much lifting power. heh

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... P.S. I use to salvage davits of all shaps and sizes... pool furniture that had blown in... boats that have sunk in shallow water, mostly in dockages... storage boxes... grills... and just about anything else found on or near a dock... I have tried it all man... believe it or not the gear bag worked on a few things. but mostly relied on tying off on dock with a line and just plain pulling it up ... or ustilizing an existing davit... but was the matter of "dragging it" to point of "hookups reach"... the bags etc lifted enogh to be able to pull into hookup position.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread