How "hot" is it down in the Keys in terms of diving with a detector ???

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I am talking about the general area of the Key's National Marine Sanctuary and not one of the "special" areas.

I know it is technically illegal to posses artifacts more than 50 years old and that it is illegal to dig, but I can't find any law that expressly forbids diving with a detector.

I haven't been diving in the Keys since the 90's and I am curious as to any and all experiences with local law enforcement types down there...I don't want to risk having my boat and gear impounded and having to go through a long legal process to get them back even if I wasn't technically doing anything wrong.

Thanks in advance.

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was on a small project this spring with the FKNMS in marathon . I asked that exact question and was told they do not stop anyone from metal detecting in the sanctuary. If you want to check you can call 305 852 7717 ex 34 and ask for Brenda

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They may not stop you from metal detecting but rest assured, if FWC catches you with a metal detector and objects of an historical nature (anything 50 years or older), or if they observe you disturbing the bottom in any way, you will be subject to forfeiture of your metal detector and boat (and anything on board your boat at the time) and most likely will be prosecuted for such illegal activities! Good luck!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caught digging in water... in sanctuary... relics in hand or nearby.
You will be arrested... charged...and forfiet any and all items concerning your activity... depends on the cop... your car parked in the boat ramp parking lot.... will be also siezed.. anything in connection to your activity is subject to forfeture.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.S. I know of a guy that is serving a 2 year prison sentence for digging on dry land and found indian artifacts... showed them to a guy at flea market... (do not know if he sold em) they followed him for months... arrested him while he was detecting near original area by jumping out of woods in camo. MONTHS LATER.

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
I was on a small project this spring with the FKNMS in marathon . I asked that exact question and was told they do not stop anyone from metal detecting in the sanctuary. If you want to check you can call 305 852 7717 ex 34 and ask for Brenda

Thanks for the info...

I called the Key Largo office and they gave me the lowdown. I am not worried a bit now.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info...

I called the Key Largo office and they gave me the lowdown. I am not worried a bit now.

Care to share? What was the lowdown?

OP
OP
H

hobbit

Oct 1, 2010
The officer I spoke to (I guess Brenda was off...LOL...) told me there was nothing illegal about possessing or diving with a detector within the sanctuary, but that excavation or artifact recovery was strictly illegal without the necessary permits.

I would advise anyone interested in detecting down there to call the office yourself...my guess is that some of the officers don't really know the law themselves and could potentially create a hassle for you.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all depends on who's watching and if they want to bother with enforcing the law!!! it is not illegal to metal detect in the water but it is illegal to disturb the bottom/submerged lands(dumbest thing ive ever heard), it is illegal to possess anything man-made older than 50 years.
how hot is it,.........if they decide to turn up the heat it could get very hot!!!!!

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Below the average high tide mark is State Sovereign Submerged lands where all artifacts belong to the state, and archaeological excavation is not allowed without proper permitting from this office. In most cases permits from the Department of Environmental Protection and the Army Corp of Engineers are also necessary. Digging or destruction of buried archaeological remains without the proper permitting from the Division of Historical Resources is a 3rd Degree Felony. Since the solitary function of a metal detector is to locate buried metallic items and then recover the buried object by digging, and because it can never be predetermined whether a metal object is a newly lost item or centuries old archaeological artifact, it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water."---Florida Dept. of State 2013

Want more crazy??...according to the Florida Public Archaeology Network, FPAN, it is illegal to dig a hole ANYWHERE below the mean high tide line (State Sovereign Submerged lands)...so the next time you see those kiddies at the beach with their plastic shovels and buckets...

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Below the average high tide mark is State Sovereign Submerged lands where all artifacts belong to the state, and archaeological excavation is not allowed without proper permitting from this office. In most cases permits from the Department of Environmental Protection and the Army Corp of Engineers are also necessary. Digging or destruction of buried archaeological remains without the proper permitting from the Division of Historical Resources is a 3rd Degree Felony. Since the solitary function of a metal detector is to locate buried metallic items and then recover the buried object by digging, and because it can never be predetermined whether a metal object is a newly lost item or centuries old archaeological artifact, it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water."---Florida Dept. of State 2013

Want more crazy??...according to the Florida Public Archaeology Network, FPAN, it is illegal to dig a hole ANYWHERE below the mean high tide line (State Sovereign Submerged lands)...so the next time you see those kiddies at the beach with their plastic shovels and buckets...

exactly!!!!!! this was all done quietly in 2013 after we defeated/raised heck over a similar bill in 2012, they got this through without anyone noticing until after the fact!!!! it gives them the power to really nail someone if and when they choose to do so.
if anyone wants to get organized and fight this and maybe get a finders keepers or portable antiquities type law to replace it im all for it!!!! i tried to get something started but everyone seems to be extremely apathetic and beaten into submission!!!!!!!!

chuck.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

Have you a phone number for these good folks? Perhaps we should all start reporting people we see digging holes in the sand.

After all, it's our civic duty...

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Have you a phone number for these good folks? Perhaps we should all start reporting people we see digging holes in the sand.

After all, it's our civic duty...

So you want to report all the kiddies digging on the beach with their plastic shovels?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Since the solitary function of a metal detector is to locate buried metallic items and then recover the buried object by digging, and because it can never be predetermined whether a metal object is a newly lost item or centuries old archaeological artifact, it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water."---Florida Dept. of State 2013

Note the language here:

"it is our policy to not allow this activity in the water" ....

It does not say metal detecting is "illegal" or "against Florida statute".

Also note that metal detecting and mag surveys are done all the time without any excavation taking place...

One might well detect in order to pinpoint a possible location for filing an exploration permit, for instance.

Also, if one concentrates in areas where erosion is taking place, it is entirely possible to recover metallic objects without any excavation whatsoever.

Isn't it wonderful that the bureaucrats at the Florida Dept. of State feel they can take away your right to perform an activity...even if that activity is manifestly not illegal under Florida Statute??

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have done so without overtly doing so.

Such is the mind of an archie-crat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread