portable antiquities scheme in florida,...........

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny you should post this question Seeker, we are hoping to present such a scheme to the Nova Scotia law makers shortly. In 2010 the Gov. of NS adopted principles based on the UNESCO's guidlines so now no one can legally salvage any wreck on our shores. In my eyes it's a loss of both a cultural resource and an economic resource.
The PAS as far as I understand it, allows the finder to keep the finds that he/she finds but allows the federal archaeologists to study it and record the find. There are some guidlines, finds that are over 300 years old must be turned over for study. If the find is deemed to be treasure trove, (very valuable) then the item will be offered up to the museums to bid on. I am not sure about all the details on determining the value or what happens to the item if the museums don't bit on it. I also do not believe this scheme extends to water finds.
It is a fantasic oppertunity for people to offer their finds up for study and they don't have to worry about it getting ripped off by the feds. There is also another stipulation I have heard about, the finds can't be sold. But I have to yet get this confirmed.
I too would love to hear from people who have worked with the PAS in England and get their oppinions about the scheme.
I would also like to here how the state of Florida works with their divers with regards to cultural artifacts that come up from the bottom.

ZDD

ZDD

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha.. Florida is a real racket.
I'm not kidding it should be classified as racketeering.

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks gator, .....heres the pas homepage Welcome to the Portable Antiquities Scheme website

zdd, the state of florida technically (letter of the law) does not allow detecting or diving in any waterways/ocean for manmade objects over 50 years old!!!! they say it is not illegal to detect or dive but it is illegal to disturb the bottom(submerged lands) by digging! if you are strolling down the beach and eyeball a reale or a 1940's coke bottle you may not pick it up!!!! you also may not detect anywhere below the high tide line!! they basically say that they wont be out actively nailing people for this but wanted the ability to do so if they needed/wanted to.

UNESCO , noaa and many others are actively taking away our freedoms and killing our ability to do what we love!!!!!

chuck.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
zdd, the state of florida technically (letter of the law) does not allow detecting or diving in any waterways/ocean for manmade objects over 50 years old!!!! they say it is not illegal to detect or dive but it is illegal to disturb the bottom(submerged lands) by digging! if you are strolling down the beach and eyeball a reale or a 1940's coke bottle you may not pick it up!!!! you also may not detect anywhere below the high tide line!! they basically say that they wont be out actively nailing people for this but wanted the ability to do so if they needed/wanted to.

UNESCO , noaa and many others are actively taking away our freedoms and killing our ability to do what we love!!!!!

chuck.
So how do the Fishers and others get permits to dig and how does the split between the State and Salvor work?
Yes, UNESCO is screwing the countries out of an opportunity to share their maritime haritage with the population.
ZDD

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are grandfathered in because they already have permits. That's why everyone else has to sub-contract from them.
I see, up here they just cancelled all permits and screwed the people that had invested their time and money......Idiots
Thanks Jason for letting me know this.
ZDD

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see, up here they just cancelled all permits and screwed the people that had invested their time and money......Idiots
Thanks Jason for letting me know this.
ZDD

Where is "up here"? I am currently reading a fascinating book called "Treasure hunter" about treasure diving on the east coast of Canada and how their govt completely screwed the author and stole 2 years of recoveries after acknowledging he was the rightful owner of the wrecks.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What'd they do? Claim they were used by the military?

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is "up here"? I am currently reading a fascinating book called "Treasure hunter" about treasure diving on the east coast of Canada and how their govt completely screwed the author and stole 2 years of recoveries after acknowledging he was the rightful owner of the wrecks.
Yup, that is where I'm at.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What'd they do? Claim they were used by the military?
Nope, they just claimed it all for themselves. We are hoping, but not overly optimistic that we can get it changed back to something workable that will benifit both the Government and salvors.
Years ago Robert Marx came up here and spent a few summers looking for some of our wrecks. I sat and talked with him in Miami years ago about his trips up here, he is quite an interesting fellow.
ZDD

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, they just claimed it all for themselves. We are hoping, but not overly optimistic that we can get it changed back to something workable that will benifit both the Government and salvors.
Years ago Robert Marx came up here and spent a few summers looking for some of our wrecks. I sat and talked with him in Miami years ago about his trips up here, he is quite an interesting fellow.
ZDD

It's a fascinating story and enlightening about trusting your partners. I'm only about 1/3 through it, so I can't wait to see what else happens.

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok guys, this is do-able,......theres already something in the works!!! but i need to hear a professional/ Knowledgeable opinion as to the effects this would have on small and large shipwreck salvage ops??????

thanks,
chuck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread