Raising the UK’s last surviving World War II Landing Craft

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I disagree with the newspaper's choice of title "ends in success". The operation is not "ended" by any means; it is just beginning and the conservation process will continue for many years, long after most parties have lost interest.

Articles like this serve to perpetuate the myth that once something comes out of the ocean it has been "saved," when in fact the amount of money that will continue to go into this project (and anything brought up off the sea floor) in order to actually preserve it is an immense sum, combined with an equally immense amount of man hours.

Raising something from the sea is the beginning of a huge responsibility, something which a lot of people forget. You need to be willing to invest the time and money to preserve it :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Smithbrown

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Pattiewhack, if you read the article, you will see that the craft is going to a national museum and that a program of conservation is funded and in place.

pattiewhack

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yes, I did read the article. This piece will be preserved at great financial cost, but the article neglects to mention that and treats it like raising the craft is the end of the line. In my opinion, the media needs to put a greater emphasis on the idea that you can't just remove something from the sea and expect it to survive, it absolutely MUST be conserved or be lost.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread