USS Charleston

A

aptbigdivebud

I have several coins and a broken Eva Le Gallienne matchstick holder (1899) and egg holder with a turquoise stone embedded on it that came from the shipwreck of USS Charleston, can anyone help me out in assessing the value of these, i'm planning to sell it. I also have coins that came from an unidentified chinese shipwreck. Just check out the attached photos.

Thanks,

aptbigdivebud

Attachments

• Eva le gallienne matchstick holder and egg holder_front view.JPG
    Eva le gallienne matchstick holder and egg holder_front view.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Charleston coins1.JPG
    Charleston coins1.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 354
  • Chareleston coins2.JPG
    Chareleston coins2.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 347
  • Eva le gallienne matchstick holder and egg holder_front view.JPG
    Eva le gallienne matchstick holder and egg holder_front view.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 358
  • coins_unknown chinese shipwreck.JPG
    coins_unknown chinese shipwreck.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 335

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aptbigdivebud,
Welcome to the forum.

The USS Charleston is/was a US warship, and the artifacts are still considered federal property no matter whose waters they may lie in. They have taken people and artifacts to court in the past and won. You might consider looking for another wreck.

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
I second Brad's notion. A US warship lost to a mishap is never officially decommissioned and is therefore still US Navy property. However, there are forms that you can obtain from the Dept. of the Navy to get permission to salvage.

My partner is working on a permit now with the Navy and so far they have only stipulated that any personal effects from the crew would be returned to the Navy. However, the warship I'm talking about is much older than yours and not much left of it.

I will try to find the link for the form and post it for you.

Pcolaboy

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Hmmmm...I guess I should have done more research on this wreck before I posted earlier. It appears the US Navy isn't too worried about this wreck since it has been looted for years. It sank off the coast of the Phillipines in 1899 after striking a reef.

In just a few minutes of googling this wreck, I found several dealers selling coins similar to yours.

Go for it!

Pcolaboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread