Seeking Forum members thoughts on a Life Change Shipwreck Venture

garyr

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am throwing out a theoretical scenario here to see what you all experts have to say on the matter.

Lets say that there is a fellow...This fellow has been a maintenance mechanic, certified welder and handyman for many years. He is also a Patented Inventor who has owned boats around 30 some feet.

Now let's say this fellow and his Wife believe that they have resources and energy enough to acquire, maintain, and outfit an economical 40 some footer or larger.

He's wondering if that will be enough of a vessel but the thought is with a decent towfish they would check and maybe map areas to the south of florida and easterly islands thereabouts and maybe westerly to see what may turn up that has not been found yet.
He is of the understanding that there is a whole another can of worms if if anything is turned up but is wondering what the ramifications of a venture such as this are...??? In's and Out's Up's and Down's etc...Specifics. OR just a simple Yea or Nea ...???
Seriously Pondering
Thanks for your time.

pvet7521

Dec 30, 2010
New York
Detector(s) used
Whites, Aquapulse, Grometrics
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do what you want, enjoy yourself and above all else keep it to yourself.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more wrecks lie unfound than have been found... and there is a reason for that... but if you still want to strike out on your venture... here are my top "three to the key" of success.
#1. research... then research the research again and again.
#2. planning... plan to fail many times over and plan for recovery of failing to PERHAPS succeed.
#3. PREPARE... prepare for the worst and be redundant in your prep for any and all scenarios (use your imagination).
realistic supplies and gear are the first thing AFTER a solid RELIABLE boat and persons have been achieved.
I highly recommend you obtain a knowledgeable "shipwreck diver'" someone who is smart and mature to "run exploratory dives" as well as a small DEDICATED crew with no time constraints etc.
a crew that consists of at least a historical/antiquities person... a person(s) schooled in first aid... boat equipped to the gills with emergency gear/distress-long range etc.
no shortcuts to success... shortcuts in this venture will lead to failure or worse.

The ocean can reward... but remember ... she also can and will... take away.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The treasure needs to be in the looking for and not necessarily the finding, a bit like fishing.......that's why they don't call it catching......follow your dreams .....I did..

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now let's say this fellow and his Wife believe that they have resources and energy enough to acquire, maintain, and outfit an economical 40 some footer or larger.

I am not an expert on anything under the sun, but I have been around boats a while and the "economical 40 some footer or larger" is an animal I have never encountered.

If money is no object, do whatever you enjoy. Follow your bliss.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Don't forget the cardinal rule ha ha B.O.A.T...... Bring out another thousand......never a truer word spoken.......

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
the "economical 40 some footer or larger" is an animal I have never encountered.

Beat me to it. The only ones I ever came across were crewed by unicorns.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!

I would only caution to remain within the laws.

The last thing you would want is to spend your golden years in some foreign prison or spending all your funds on lawyers to keep you out of them or getting your boat and gear confiscated or all of the above!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If this theoretical fellow is just out for the adventure and doesn't plan the next steps should he find something of value, then you are certainly correct: He will encounter the 'can of worms' you refer to. On the other hand, if this fellow has considered all the elements of searching for, discovering, salvaging, and disposing of his finds--he will still encounter the 'can of worms' but he will be more prepared.
Notwithstanding, for the venture your theoretic fellow has proposed, IMO, he should first attempt to find a vessel that he could LEASE versus purchase.
Don.....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Add a couple trolling rods and reels and it sounds like the ideal retirement to me - whether you find treasure or not.

I made it as far as uneconomical 34 footer before i dropped back to a 17 footer. ;-) I "save" enough every year not paying the annual slip fees and insurance than the smaller boat cost! It's like found money. :tongue3:

But I'll tell you what - my wife and I don't regret a minute of it. Got it done while we were young and could enjoy it with time to recoup. Go for it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread