Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love this part...
---------------------------------
In the UK, a government official called the Receiver of Wreck is responsible for identifying and trying to trace the ownership of any artefacts from the seabed in UK waters - or brought into the country from elsewhere.

In 2013 the department received more than 300 reports detailing more than 36,000 found items - and the majority came from recreational divers, deputy receiver Beccy Austin told the BBC.
-------------------

Yeah... so it is the guys that ARE NOT arche"s that are finding the most history.... AND they are reporting it... but they don't want ya to dig anywhere here... especially here in FL.
Sounds like the U.K. is once again "smarter" than we are.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Well they did let you win in 1776, but you did cheat and wear green, hide behind trees and shoot at them when they weren't ready for you.

Oh and by the way the white cross on the red tunics probably didn't help.......

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL !!!. heh well smarter is "up for debate" in that area... I think luck played a part as well.

You know it is amazing how Odyssey Marine has "cornered" the market in salvage... the best thing that happened to them was the court battle over the $500 million in silver ...
It may have cost them the silver and tons in legal fees... but in the end it has netted them billions in notoriety and current salvages due to the press coverage.
Odyssey Marine is actually based right around the corner from me... I talked with a cataloger for them who wanted me to go in to get a job with em but I just do not like deep water dives... it is very cool and I am sure the pay is great but... but standing on a deck waiting for a robot to surface is not my idea of diving. I am more of a hands on shallow water (50 feet or less) kinda guy.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
So...it appears archies don't mind exchanging artifacts for money. I'll let you decide whether that flies in the face of the very thing they accuse treasure hunters of doing...

"When Fiorini learned that the Archeological Superintendence, a government office that oversees heritage projects, in Cagliari did not have enough funds to retrieve all the ingots, he convinced INFN managers to contribute 300 million lira (US$210,000) to the operation, which was completed in 1991. In exchange, a proportion of the recovered lead would become available for physicists."

"
[FONT=Verdana, arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Salvi says that parting with the ingots has been "painful". The ones given to INFN are the worst-preserved, but are still of exceptional historical value. However, she says she is happy with the collaboration, because physicists are performing important analyses on the lead."[/FONT]

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
PS - that quote was from a link at the end of the article the OP posted.

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ARRC

A very good friend of mine " Mark the Shark" in Miami once told me that there is no word in the english language that can be put before publicity.....it is one of the only stand alone words there is...... The word is PUBLICITY and it says it all......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread