A new site, and artifacts to ID and guess at.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Attachments

• CCI caps.jpg
    CCI caps.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 588

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I think that the round piece was INDIAN made.
It looks lik a small SAND DOLLAR WHICH WAS HAND BEATEN. I have recovered a few of these made from silver coins and one was made from a Gold coin- about a 2 excudo according to the weight-of course it is bigger but thinner from being beaten.
I wil bring some of my stuff to the Expo.
I am also trying to purchase a 90 pound bar of copper-COW PADDY looking glob. This is the one that has Platinum in it-the seller does not know this ;D ;D ;D.
Peg leg

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Big C, it was found on shore...at low tide...so a little of both, it was rolling around in the shell at the surf zone a few hours earlier. Here's some hi-res pics. It's 7.5mm tall by 11mm in diameter. Thanks for the help!

cap.jpg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I thought it was smaller. A percussion cap is about 2mm. I dont know what it is. Im not familiar with Metric, but if you say 11mm I think you mean almost 3/4 inch. It looks interesting and pics are great, but I dont know what it is. I would put that in "What is it?" Someone should ID.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In Imperial terms, it's 3/16" with a 7/16" diameter. Or in modern ammunition, it's slightly larger than a .22 caliber round, and slightly smaller than a .38 caliber.

cuddles17981

Oct 3, 2005
Schuylkill County,PA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett 250, Bounty Hunter
ScubaFinder said:
I know it's not all old...but Trez actually said it very well in his way. Before it was all cleaned where we could see it, we were on cloud 9. That's what treasure hunting is all about. Actually, that's what life, love, and happiness are all about. I don't care if it's an undiscovered 1715 wreck or a bunch of junk, at one point it made the hair on my neck stand up....that makes it treasure to me, and I found a heap of treasure on this trip...

Jason
Thats what its all about it.. And we love to hear about it.. I know I do.. I open as many of every ones pictures of your finds as I can. I may not comment, but I look.. Its exciting.. Im still learning.. and you all are great teachers.. :D If there not what we hoped,oh well,its the thrill of the hunt.. at least it is for me. Good Going!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I am still totally fascinated and opening this thread every time I see a post in it. It is the unknown that is so fascinating, not knowing for sure what it is. :) Keep posting pics so people can guess. We love it!

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
How about this.
I large SHOTGUN SHELL or a SIGNAL FLARE SHELL.
The OUTSIDE appears to be some kind of shell casing and was a CENTER FIRE because of the dent caused by the firing pin.
The inside is where the little hole is was where the firing powder was located. It also appears to have been a paper cartridge or cardboard of some kind.
I BELIEVE IT WAS FROM A FLARE GUN.
Peg Leg

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Peg Leg said:
How about this.
I large SHOTGUN SHELL or a SIGNAL FLARE SHELL.
The OUTSIDE appears to be some kind of shell casing and was a CENTER FIRE because of the dent caused by the firing pin.
The inside is where the little hole is was where the firing powder was located. It also appears to have been a paper cartridge or cardboard of some kind.
I BELIEVE IT WAS FROM A FLARE GUN.
Peg Leg
Could be. :-\

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Not a bad thought PegLeg...It's much bigger than the primers I've seen from shotgun shells, but I hadn't thought about a flare gun. Hmmm.

Thanks for all the help and support also. I know I found one treasure on this trip...the find of a lifetime. The rest of this stuff is just interesting, and by identifying it, we'll all be a little smarter. Several have hopped on this thread to tell us what it ISN'T...but I appreciate those who have the capacity to wonder what it IS. So thanks. ;)

Jason

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Hey Jason,

Great finds bro' !

In reference to the large "L-shaped" piece of iron with the ribs sticking out from it:
It's never really easy to guess at something you can't see first hand or touch but I wonder if it could be the iron framing for a hatch where the wood has corroded away from in between the twisted ribs.

Good luck man,

Pcolaboy

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your round metal disk with the 5 punched holes could be the metal for
the bottom of a stool leg or a end cap for a pool stick.or cane.i have seen the same types on the feet of a leather bag or satchel.the punched tabs are like the nails that hold it in place.coulkd be old or modern.they still use them as feet with products from mexico and china.maybe you have a chinese junk wreck???

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason, never saw this post before. I feel that clear glass is not real old. Most 1700s and earlier glass is green or even black, I have never seen any that was clear. The round with punched points, doesnt look old. The spikes are interesting, but I dont think 1700s or older, but they could be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread