A new site, and artifacts to ID and guess at.

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, without giving away the farm, Laura and I stumbled onto a site that we find rather interesting. After some research, it appears that we may have really found something. The area is outside of the accepted "treasure coast" areas, but not far enough away to rule out a missing 1715 wreck. We decided to hunt the area on a "hunch" and found a myriad of artifacts that probably tell a story.

We have drawn our conclusions, but would appreciate any light the community here can shed on what some of these things are, and approximate time periods. Thanks in advance, and if nothing else it should make for some interesting conversation.

Some deck nails...the smaller is about 2.5" long, and has a square head, the larger looks like maybe it has a round head, but it's too early to tell, they are in an electrolyitc reduction tank as we speak, I will post new pics when they are done, but I'm letting them simmer real slow.
deck_nails.jpg

Next is a strange round object, we thought it was a coin, but it is ferrous so we are clueless until it's cleaned, probably modern debris but who knows. It's about the same diameter as a 50 cent piece, but thinner.
disc.jpg

This thing...I'm not sure. I thought it was maybe some type of sail rigging...the smaller pieces coming off of it appear to maybe be twisted around the larger elbow, appears to be iron and is 14" long and 7" tall. It got broken in transit, the encrustation is gritty and it's very brittle.
rigging.jpg
rigging2.jpg

No idea on this one...looks old, it's completely black on the inside, around 1/16" thick. I thought maybe it was a piece of sheathing, but it could be anything.
sheathing.jpg

Here is just some smaller debris we found, some new, some old. The small round piece looks like it's maybe a percussion cap from an old firearm?
debris.jpg

And lastly, an old piece of hand blown glass...it has uneven thickness and a not-so-perfect surface. It's definitely not modern, but I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to what time period it came from.
old_glass2.jpg

Any thoughts??? Thanks!

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
oh my goodness! I would be so excited! Would you make that tank hurry up and clean those things off so we can see them better??!!

E

elle

The more I view other historic percussion caps, the more I'm certain that is what we have.
The inside circular design is identical to others, along with the dimensions (being of the smallest).
Part of the debris may be a type of tack, common for fastening.
What is so interesting is the strange circular piece. Unfortunately, it's not the cobb we wanted, but may be
an important clue. As we wait for it to be cleaned, I'm finding too many objects in reference that it could be...
if I keep my fingers crossed... ;D
Like you said, Jas, it may be recent scrap, or it may be that decorative circular iron piece that sometimes was adhered to an iron buckle seen on many military finery of the eighteenth century.
I am interested also in getting opinions about what could be tackle-rigging?....again...fingers crossed... ;)

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One hint about the glass piece is the sharp edges, which would indicate that it was fairly recently broken from a larger piece. Most of the glass you find in the ocean is worn smooth, including the edges, as it tumbles around the bottom. Glass has a fairly light specific gravity, like that of a seashell.

It doesn't mean that the glass isn't old, just that is has broken off somewhat recently.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Excellent point Tom, thanks! The glass was not found in water, and there was evidence that heavy equipment had been in the area within the last several months....I should have looked around for more pieces. For the record, everything pictured was found within a 30-40 yard area.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The little "tack" was finished when I got up this morning, and it fits the period well. I didn't have time to shoot a pic of it (late for work :) ) but it's got all the right things. The smaller nail is pretty close, definitely a square head and looks exactly like the ones in all the museums. Still too early to tell on the bigger nail, but it may be modern.

The rigging is going to take quite a bit of time, it will be the focus of my research today, as it is the one piece that I have no idea about. I'll swing by the house and get pics of the tack and check the smaller nail at lunch. Somebody help me out with that rigging. :D

Jason

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OK, all the spikes are done. The larger one has a rounded head, but the actual spike is square. The medium sized has a square head, and a square spike. The smaller is tiny, and I broke the head off of it trying to get the last little bit of encrustation off...it is contructed the same as the other two but is very fragile.

Jason

Attachments

• nails_cleaned.jpg
    nails_cleaned.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 869

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
so cool! More more! Where is the rest?? lol okay okay.....I will try and be patient!

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
All in due time...be patient! :) Laura has the round disc doing some research, it's the most interesting piece, it will be in electrolysis soon. The rigging is fizzing away, but it will take some time. I sure was hoping someone could hazard a guess as to what it was. The sheathing is just soaking right now, I'll hook it up tonight, it may go pretty quickly as the encrustation isn't too heavy on it. We are already starting to plan a return trip to this site...dang, another week in Florida, it's torture I tell ya. :D :D :D

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
oh yeah! you poooor things! ;) Best of luck to you! Mom says this fascination with stuff like you have posted started before I was in school when her and dad were with the wreck divers on the Oregon coast. I have never learned to dive, by the time I was old enough to really get involved mom and dad had stopped. :( I really am looking forward to seeing everything! Thanks so very much for sharing and have a great time in FL and bring lots of goodies to share with us! :D

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Next time Rich, the beaches were especially beautiful this trip. Can't wait to get back on that site and find the good stuff. These are certainly tantalizing clues, I sent the pics to my buddy at Texas A&M Marine Archaeology Dept. Hopefully he can shed some light on some of them.

Get that dive certification finished and practice a lot in the warm waters up there...we'll make a spot for you on the boat.

Jason

E

elle

Round artifact without the encrustation.
Made of iron and an extremely thin and crude piece.
Very hard metal, yet one side is bent.
Seems to be handmade as the holes along the sharp edge indicate.
There are five cut holes on the object, each being 11mm from each other.
As the holes were "punched", four of the metal "leftovers" still remain.
The circle is 1 and 5/8" diameter.
We'd appreciate any brainstorming as to what this may be...
perhaps a plate or label that could have been on any variety of goods.
Nails through the five holes must have secured this to...maybe a piece of wood?
Does anyone know if this could be a plate used for identification?
I may add that I see no markings or writing on it.
Thank you for any input and I apologize that the first picture is elongated,
it must have slid down while scanning.

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You were right Laura, that is certainly shiny for old iron. I keep feeling like I've seen one before, but can't place where. The more I look at it, the newer it looks. I sent the pic to Dr. Hamilton...maybe he knows something. His office is buzzing trying to figure the "other" piece out too. Two spikes and two mystery objects...does that mean we are batting 500? ;)

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Bro,

I dont want to burst your bubble but this stuff looks modern to me....I hope I am wrong...but that round object looks like is came from a small can.....

All the best,

Chagy.....

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Could be, Luis, I do think the round object is definitely newer. The spikes are the only things that I feel are old. Square head on one, square body on both. I looked very closely at several of the spikes that Bill Moore had, and these are identical in size, shape, texture, and patina. He had some 1715 deck nails and spikes with round heads too, I have pics of them.

The rest of it I just want to know what the heck it is, just to satisfy my curiosity. :D

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, Laura........

It is refreshing to see the excitement of you guys trying to identify these objects that you all have discovered. I can remember how I was years back when I first was hooked on this treasure stuff, everything that I found that looked old on the beach brought me hours and hours of wild ideas of what was this stuff that I had found...all had to be shipwreck right? could only be shipwreck...so I spent hours and hours of trying to find out... that, the rusty old nail that I found was indeed just a rusty old nail, or that piece of sheathing that I was sure was sheathing and from a shipwreck wasn't shipwreck at all or even sheathing.
The ocean has her way of fooling us by the way she ages and changes things over time, she is the best antique'r we know.
she is the master of making us consume time...you will find with trial and error that many times after all the excitement has settled...she has tricked you again.
I know, as well as many others in here, understand what you guys are feeling, you will quickly learn or get a feel of what is really authentic compared to what is just "junk"
Best of everything, keep up the level of excitement you have for this hobby.

For one day, it is people like you that will truly find what you seek.

Take care,
Trez

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That little nail is a "T" nail from modern roofing. It could be 25 years old since they started using "T" nails even before that!

OP
OP
ScubaFinder

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I know it's not all old...but Trez actually said it very well in his way. Before it was all cleaned where we could see it, we were on cloud 9. That's what treasure hunting is all about. Actually, that's what life, love, and happiness are all about. I don't care if it's an undiscovered 1715 wreck or a bunch of junk, at one point it made the hair on my neck stand up....that makes it treasure to me, and I found a heap of treasure on this trip...

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread