Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(Reuters) - Archaeologists in Charleston, South Carolina, believe they have found the wooden remnants of an 18th century wharf where an estimated 100,000 enslaved Africans arrived in America during the peak of the international slave trade.

Dig uncovers remnants of U.S. wharf where 100,000 slaves arrived | Reuters

Thanks for the link. South Carolina is an interesting place. I think someone once described it as being, "too small for a republic, too big for an insane asylum".

In any event, cruising the backwaters of much of SC at low tide and looking for old palmetto pilings is a sure way to record finds.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just wondering what a sunken slave ship, might have of value if salvaged. Slave tags found metal detecting on land can be worth some money. Maybe it would be more of a historical find.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wharfs were not just a place to tie off your ship, they were a place of commerce, fishing, entertainment and a damn good place to knock back a good bottle of rum. so anything could be found there. I do alot of diving around wharfs and have found every thing from ships fittings to ink wells. You name it and there is a good chance someone has dropped it over the side of a wharf.
ZDD

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think they have big plans for putting in a museum there. Later the excavated finds by Arkies around the wharf, parts of the wharf, will be included as museum displays.

OP
OP
Red_desert

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yippers.... I must have remembered rightly, here it says.

"Traces of Gadsden's Wharf were located during an exploratory dig this fall at the waterfront site of the city's planned $75 million International African American Museum, said Eric Poplin, senior archaeologist at Brockington and Associates."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread