Cuba

Apr 1, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New guy different subject.
Sorry for the intrusion but was looking for plans for an outboard motor mailbox and cam across an old 2005 thread you may have posted. Do you have any old pics?
Thanks Chartercaptain

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that Cuba is still a commie 3rd world country so dont get your hopes up about doing anything there.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
New guy different subject.
Sorry for the intrusion but was looking for plans for an outboard motor mailbox and cam across an old 2005 thread you may have posted. Do you have any old pics?
Thanks Chartercaptain

Try here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/378545-cheap-down-dirty-mailbox.html

and here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/59210-outboard-mailbox-blower.html

and here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/82487-mailbox-question.html

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very carefully, Cuba signed the UNESCO Convention on underwater cultural heritage. But ......

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spanish records show that 13,000 treasure ships safely skirted Cuba in the years of the 16th to 18th centuries...
There are just around Havana more than 70 ---from the middle age

The Hun can be 1,300 !!

Finn

Nov 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Guys

I contracted some Cuban wreck divers for a salvage operation that i ran two years ago. I went to Havanna several times to meet them and their superiors so i think that i know quite well the wreck salvage situation there.

At 90's Cuban goverment formed a state owned company for salvage and study old galleons. The company had good resources, several research and salvage vessels and boats, Cesium magnetometer, side scan sonar, coservation labs, tanks and and stuff. A systematic research in archives was also conducted. Part of spanish archives are still in Cuba, actas mainly, when rest was sent to Sevilla where their still remain in unopened boxes without public access to them. Actas are very usefull and in most cases complete document is not needed when acta is well written. They also interviewed local fisher men making notes and stuff.

Divers came from navy, captains from fishing vessels and tugboats, electric engineers, chemists, university degree archaeologists and other professionals like that were mobilized for the project. It was a full time job for this people. This company worked like ten years o so before something happened in government and their resources were taken away.

When one visits any maritime museum in Cuba, all, all artefacts are recovered and concervated by this one company. They have in their register more than 1000 "potential treasure wrecks" with exact location, magnetometer survey and photos from preliminary studies.

Those few "western" salvors who have been working in Cuba must all have been in contact with this company and it's former employees who are now in other government jobs running underwater studies.

If one want's to do salvage in Cuba, i don't know how to put this, i would say that it is still possible up to certain limit if persons involved are serious and good reputation.

Many of these former employees are now working in shipwreck operations all over the world, Mosambique, Filipines, Florida, South America etc. They are very high skilled salvors so it's really fun to work with them.

I worked with two of them for three years and i was surprised how deep and broad their knowledge and skills are, their were capable to take responsibilities way beyond "just a diver".

Salud

Finn

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I seriously doubt that they will allow "treasure hunters" to exploit the wrecks there ...however I am very sure that folks will be allowed to do "cultural research" -- ie read their archives ...which could contain a lot of lost knowledge about many shipwrecks worth going after that are not in Cuban waters

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked for CARISUB almost 3 years, and then for RAMAL, with a permit issued in 1997. Cuba has an enormous potential with historic shipwrecks.

seekerGH

Jan 25, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems to me that it was really only the US that had the issue. Castro was well known for his treasure hunting exploits (the CIA even tried to kill him on a dive op).

Given the nature of the Country, as it is impossible to determine ownership, I really doubt anything written would be valid,

As they have signed the UNESCO accord, perhaps Spain would make them a good deal!

What ever happened with Visa Gold Exploration?

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering, if we find buried or sunken treasures. How much the Cuba government will take? I believe 100% and you get to go home for free.

Mar 5, 2018
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DA8BF2FB-BB9C-4C90-8889-5E51309394EE.jpeg Hello, on one of my recent trips to Cuba I purchased some shipwreck coins from a local diver who says he found them from a shipwreck. He did not have the name of the ship however I have several dates from the coins. Is there a way to research where or what shipwreck these came from? They are eight reale silver coins from Spain from the years 1798 to 1807. I believe they have mint marks from Mexico, Peru, Guatemala and Colombia.

Last edited:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
View attachment 1559668 Hello, on one of my recent trips to Cuba I purchased some shipwreck coins from a local diver who says he found them from a shipwreck. He did not have the name of the ship however I have several dates from the coins. Is there a way to research where or what shipwreck these came from? They are eight reale silver coins from Spain from the years 1798 to 1807. I believe they have mint marks from Mexico, Peru, Guatemala and Colombia.

Cuba is a big island with lots of wrecks. It would help narrow it down if you knew the general area or part of the island the coins came from. Otherwise start by looking up Cuban wrecks after 1807 in Potter's Treasure Divers Guide.

enrada

May 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HavanaDay dreamin
A year ago I was in Cuba. I went to the Cuban Archives and found it almost impossible to ever get access for a hired researcher to do some research in the archives for me. Dr Eugene Lyon got access. I do want to do more(some) diving in Cuba. We spent 4 days at the resort on the Island of Juvenad(sp?)(Island of Youth) to no avail and never got in the water. I would like you to PM(private message) me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread