Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife gave me this for Christmas, wondering if any of you shipwreck divers could test it out before I head down Florida way.........

Thanks!!! :laughing7:

TheRingFinder

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sodium laurel sulfate is the ingredient in detergents that drive sharks away. Look at the ingredients in your common shampoo. Clorox toilet cleaner has the greatest concentration of SLS at 20%. Throw balls of Clorox toilet bowl cleaner off your boat to clear the area of sharks! It works.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Sodium laurel sulfate is the ingredient in detergents that drive sharks away. Look at the ingredients in your common shampoo. Clorox toilet cleaner has the greatest concentration of SLS at 20%. Throw balls of Clorox toilet bowl cleaner off your boat to clear the area of sharks! It works.

And you'll come out of the water all sparklie white, smelling like you just got out of your toilet!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sit on the couch watching football ............Best shark repellent known to man...Everything else works 99% of the time ha ha,

My buddy here wants me to watch his back next year while he spears fish for his living which means I get to spend lots of time underwater......"great" but will have to push away sharks sometimes ......"not so great"

At least we get to look for shipwrecks too which is the ......."really great bit"

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Sit on the couch watching football ............Best shark repellent known to man...Everything else works 99% of the time ha ha,

My buddy here wants me to watch his back next year while he spears fish for his living which means I get to spend lots of time underwater......"great" but will have to push away sharks sometimes ......"not so great"

At least we get to look for shipwrecks too which is the ......."really great bit"

I never was wild about diving with others who were spearfishing .

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I completely agree but he's trying to make his living as a fisherman and its a great excuse to go to areas where shipwrecks are, so a fair trade for me and the norm is more than one shows up, move on

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" June through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks. Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

I don't know about this....
But BBS should detour this... The "field of frequencies"... IN THEORY !
So Sadds take a Excal with you... just turn it on full sens... and see what happens.

Last time I was in the water... off Desoto... I had a what I thought was a bull sneak up on me and was within 10 feet of me... then as it turned its eyes met mine and saw it was a White... YES A WHITE... the first time ever seen one in wild ... 12-14ish foot long... 15-16 feet of water... 100 yards off the face of Shell Key.
I wished I had my Excal with me I wanted so bad to test it buy dropping head in water... wanted to see what would happen... if it got closer or what.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Outstanding post ARRC I ' ll report the encounters with my Tesoro PI machine......even in the surf here the viz is good also sharks tend ( emphasis on tend) to hear your bubbles and realize your not a food item,......did I really say that ha ha......wishful thinking I think.....

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington, DC - The Federal government is warning Pulse Induction metal detectorists to "Stay dry, and Stay alive!" June through November, is the most dangerous time to be in the surf with breeding and birthing sharks. Compounding this danger, Pulse Induction, or "PI" underwater metal detectors, can attract hungry sharks from as far away as one-nautical mile with their strong electronic pulses.

University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón, said that detectorists - and the swimmers near them, are at increased risk of shark attack. "We have studied this problem since the fatal attack of a beach detectorist in Connecticut, in 2009," commented Professor Tiburón. "Our experiments show that sharks are not only attracted by pulse induction metal detectors, but that they also behave very aggressively when they locate it."

I don't know about this....
But BBS should detour this... The "field of frequencies"... IN THEORY !
So Sadds take a Excal with you... just turn it on full sens... and see what happens.

Last time I was in the water... off Desoto... I had a what I thought was a bull sneak up on me and was within 10 feet of me... then as it turned its eyes met mine and saw it was a White... YES A WHITE... the first time ever seen one in wild ... 12-14ish foot long... 15-16 feet of water... 100 yards off the face of Shell Key.
I wished I had my Excal with me I wanted so bad to test it buy dropping head in water... wanted to see what would happen... if it got closer or what.

I call the "story" out of Washington, DC and the University of Arizona baloney.

There has never been a fatal shark attack in Connecticut. The last documented attack in Connecticut was a minor injury to someone in 1960. There are only two documented cases of shark attacks in Connecticut...neither fatal.

I routinely dive, snorkel and wade on the fringes of a sound that is believed to have the largest concentration of tiger sharks on the East Coast. While I have seen sharks many times...I have never once been approached by a shark while detecting. I think the electric field actually might repulse them...

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Errr head ??? hmm was still asleep... lack of caffine... I meant coil... anyway...
Jolly mon... I agree with you... but I guess they are saying "pulse"...
I own both bbs and pulse and have used my 8x for years in the Keys with no "sighting of attraction".
I think next time I am out (which will be in 5-6 weeks) I will dust off my pulse8x and 4 foot skid... drop just under surface... crank on high and watch.

JFYI>>>
I have noticed shark behavior has changed since the 80's... Like the fact larger sharks are coming more often "closer in"... the types I am seeing and in the areas I am seeing them in... for 20 years never saw them in areas I know frequently spot them.
This may be the source of this "attack" and not the detector.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sort of interested until....

"University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón"

That's a fairly odd name and highly suspect for a shark researcher!!

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Sandy and Sand Shark. Yea sounds like a PI scare tactic. I have gotten close but its just because they live there.

sent from a sending device.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well aside from the name I can think of all the years of 1715 fleet diving with a PI and personally not seeing ANY sharks....

If the article were true I would think we could start running some shark dive charters out near all the salvage boats:laughing7:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was sort of interested until....

"University of Arizona Professor Sandy Tiburón"

That's a fairly odd name and highly suspect for a shark researcher!!
Heehehehe - yeah "Tiburon" spanish for shark.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had something try to take my Excall outta my hand, 30 feet from shore, at high tide in murky water. I learned a NEW respect for murky waters that day!
I kept feeling like I was stepping on jellyfish, I was stepping on some kinda fish all right! And yes, he did seem to be agitated, anxious, he was swimming under my feet and circling all around, that's when I felt it! If I hadda had a pole, I'da set the hook!
He had my coil and was trying to jerk it outta me hand! I had to jerk it away from him, real hard, had a real bad bruise where I had the arm cuff, as we're a fighting, and I'm a praying, that I can jump backward, towards shore, with a shark on my coil! He finally let go after about 3, 5 jumps. :laughing7:
And the whole time I'm jumping backwards, I'm yelling, shark ,shark, shark, no one even noticed! :BangHead:

So yeah, I know the sharky I met off Holl'wood bch, was hungry for something. I'm just glad he tested the coil(for his food), and NOT my foot! My Fluffys' coil and coil guard got teeth mark gashes across it!
Like I said, new respect for them murky fishy waters, and them bull sharks are nothing to be playing with!

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
It's official..........you never see the shark that gets you. I was out this week and was drifting with the wind blowing the boat and I was hanging on the anchor covering plenty of ground .

I often look behind me as a matter of common sense as well as checking in case I missed something. Lo and behold I start to look to my right and a very big Tiger shark ( about 12 ft) just goes cruising by about 6 ft away. If he was hungry or worse pissed off I would not have seen the sneaky chap ha ha.

Just proves that they Always work out what direction you are going in and approach from the rear. Great to see such a wonderful beast close up and they are well named, the stripes were very dark and noticeable.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread