New 1715 Fleet Book

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Happy New Year to everyone on the forum.

I am proud to kick off the new year with a brand new 1715 Fleet book. I collaborated with my friend Dave Crooks SUNKEN TREASURE BOOKS to write a comprehensive 1715 Fleet bibliography. We had hoped to get the book published in time for the 300th Anniversary of the disaster and we succeeded. The book arrived from the printers earlier this week. I'm very pleased with how well it turned out. Many thanks to Dave, Ernie Richards, John de Bry, Ben Costello and numerous others who made this project possible.

I have had a copy of the book listed on Ebay so you can see the cover work and a description...

(Edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but according to our rules you have to be a Charter member to sell or advertise EBay sales...

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Sorry I did not realize that. I just wanted to make an announcement since so many people have PMed me asking how soon the book was going to be ready.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I did not realize that. I just wanted to make an announcement since so many people have PMed me asking how soon the book was going to be ready.

The announcement is not a problem, just the website and eBay links selling were ...

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This exhaustive bibliography of 1715 Fleet publications includes books, magazine & newspaper articles, Plus Ultra newsletter articles, auction catalogs, unpublished reports & manuscripts, original archival material, as well as documentaries and museums.

Book is 184 Pages. It is a 8.5" x 5.5" paperback book. Ships from Louisiana.

DESCRIPTION:

On July 31, 1715, a savage hurricane swept across the Bahama Channel, catching in its path the ill-fated Spanish treasure fleet. The entire fleet was struck by the full fury of the violent hurricane, roaring out of the east-northeast with winds in excess of seventy-five miles an hour. By sunrise the next morning, eleven vessels, more than 14 million pesos in registered treasure, and 700 lives were lost in one of the worst disasters in maritime history.

The destruction of the 1715 Fleet was a disaster of catastrophic proportions, not just for the people directly involved, but the loss of the fleet had worldwide political and economic ramifications as well. The story is fascinating by itself, but the fact that these vessels wrecked directly off the beach (literally a stone’s throw from shore) and have produced vast quantities of treasure in modern times is equally captivating. Today, nearly 300 years later, treasure still continues to be found from these wreck sites off the Florida Coast. Equivalently alluring is the fact that some of the shipwrecks have never been found and are still awaiting discovery. Perhaps the most intriguing tale concerning the 1715 fleet is the mystery of the missing Queen’s Jewels.

After the death of Queen Maria Luisa Gabriella of Savoy in 1714, King Philip was married by proxy to the Duchess of Parma, Isabel Farnese. According to popular legend, as part of the marriage agreement, Isabel demanded that she be given jewelry “unique in all the world.” Could the Queen’s dowry still lie somewhere just offshore beneath the waves and sand? These intriguing components of the story only add to the allure.

Much has been written about the 1715 Fleet and the tale of the 1715 fleet has worked its way into popular culture in the form of fictional novels and even movies. Although much has been written, no comprehensive list of 1715 Fleet shipwreck material has ever been compiled. Until now! With the 300[SUP]th[/SUP] Anniversary of the fleet’s destruction right around the corner this bibliography chronicles the available literature concerning the 1715 Fleet.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    581 KB · Views: 258

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Jason, post an ebay link.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, post an ebay link.

You can't post eBay links for non charter members to bypass rules, Charter Members can post links to THEIR EBay sales not non cm EBay sales......

― James Madison

TXPIRATE

Aug 21, 2003
S.E. TEXAS
Detector(s) used
" Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gallon hunter man pay the 20 become a charter member. There a lot of that would love to buy the book but not from ebay.

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
TXPIRATE, thanks but no thanks, I've got better things to do with my money.

The original post wasn't even meant to "sell" any books, just make people aware that it was finally available. Numerous people had asked me to contact them as soon as it was ready. I thought it would be easier to make one post as opposed to answering a dozen different PMs.

I certainly don't need the aid of Treasure Net Forum to sell books. People who are interested in buying the book know where to find me. It wasn't my intent to break any forum rules and I did so inadvertently. (lesson learned).

As a professional marine archaeologist, I have tried my best to make informative shipwreck posts over the years. I have worked on shipwreck projects around the world and have tried to share some of the knowledge I have attained along the way with others. I have helped numerous others on this forum, both publicly and through private messages.

If the forum administrators do not wish me to make such post, I will adhere to those wishes.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galleon, as I advised you there was no issue with your post itself, it was the links to EBay and website selling that was the violating the rules. We can't allow yours but not allow others...No one thought you were intentionally breaking the rules..

― James Madison

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galleon Hunter... I emailed you recently with a couple of questions about my photos and your book... I know you're busy but give me a shout or drop me an email as soon as you can... Thanks.

PF

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Galleon Hunter... as far as "better things to do with your money"...

20 dollars is such a small price to pay AND a smart business decision in my opinion for someone in your position.
And enables you to promote and share your knowledge/experience/books/whatever on the worlds LARGEST and best treasure forum...
Seems such a nil amount to the gain...
We ALL play the same game in life...
The game here requires an "anti" is all.
If I had just released a book... dedicated to the subjects contained herein... I would be all over it.
Otherwise whats the point...
If you say "I don't need the money"... well ehhhh 20 dollars does not matter.
No offense intended by my statements.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ARRC convinced me. I'm now a paying "charter" member.

I'm not sure when/how I became a "full" member - is that a remark about my figure?

Now I want to know how to become a HERO member! "Senior" can wait...

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Galleon Hunter saw fit to spend some money to bring his family AND his book to the recent FUN Convention in Orlando and attend the Sunken Treasure Literature Club Meeting as well as the 1715 Fleet Florida State Exhibit and showing his support for the 1715 Fleet Society and the salvage work on the Fleet wrecks. I only had to drive from Vero Beach - the trip for Galleon Hunter was from Lousiania. And I didn't buy his book yet but it is on my list and I will buy it eventually - in person or on EBay - we all have days when another $20 for dues or books, or whatever is better put off for tomorrow. any of you in the salvage business should surely understand that -
the writing and the research is a pretty good ante to join the game I would think

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Galleon Hunter saw fit to spend some money to bring his family AND his book to the recent FUN Convention in Orlando and attend the Sunken Treasure Literature Club Meeting as well as the 1715 Fleet Florida State Exhibit and showing his support for the 1715 Fleet Society and the salvage work on the Fleet wrecks. I only had to drive from Vero Beach - the trip for Galleon Hunter was from Lousiania. And I didn't buy his book yet but it is on my list and I will buy it eventually - in person or on EBay - we all have days when another $20 for dues or books, or whatever is better put off for tomorrow. any of you in the salvage business should surely understand that -
the writing and the research is a pretty good ante to join the game I would think

I agree Bonnie!

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one immediately and I have to say this is one of the most incredibly useful things I have spent money on in a while! Wish I had it on hand a year ago. Very complete and easy to use.

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
ARRC You state "20 dollars is such a small price to pay AND a smart business decision in my opinion for someone in your position." Kindly explain what you mean by "someone in my position?" I guess I didn't realize I had hired you to act as my accountant, or perhaps you in some manner are privy to my bank statements? In reality you have no idea "what my position" currently is. I've had situations in my life where $20 meant nothing and by the same token I have had times in my life where that same $20 would have meant the difference between eating or going hungry. You don't know someones situation until you've walked a mile in their shoes, I know you certainly haven't walked in mine. I stand by my original statement. I will spend my money as I see fit.

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Terry, I am glad you liked my book. Likewise, I am very pleased with your new book. It looks great and and I look forward to reading it. It was great seeing you, Tommy Gore, Bonnie and her mom, Mike Brown, Tom Gidus, Tracy Bowden, Tammy Gross, Ben Costello, Ernie Richards, Dan Sedwick, Karen McKee and everyone else. The State of Florida Treasure exhibit was outstanding!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARRC You state "20 dollars is such a small price to pay AND a smart business decision in my opinion for someone in your position." Kindly explain what you mean by "someone in my position?" I guess I didn't realize I had hired you to act as my accountant, or perhaps you in some manner are privy to my bank statements? In reality you have no idea "what my position" currently is. I've had situations in my life where $20 meant nothing and by the same token I have had times in my life where that same $20 would have meant the difference between eating or going hungry. You don't know someones situation until you've walked a mile in their shoes, I know you certainly haven't walked in mine. I stand by my original statement. I will spend my money as I see fit.

UM heh... Someone in YOUR position MEANS... You just wrote/finished a "book". Nothing more.
I was merely trying to point out that it WOULD be a "smart" move...
And I am no accountant...
I am the guy that is in the pictures you see in books like yours ... IN the water.

I have known half dozen guys who have published books on the same EXACT subjects/content ...
ON the EXACT same path your are going down.
I have personally helped promote things like this before and have produced 3 yes THREE magazines.
IN SHOES JUST LIKE YOURS I might add.

SO.. YOU don't know ME...

You wanna slap someone verbally who tried to ONLY HELP open your eyes...
who has been down this marketing trail OVER AND OVER...
Who has been involved in this for 40 years since age 6...
Groomed and inspired to be "what I am" by the most successful treasure hunter AND marketing GENIOUS on earth...
So be it

OP
OP
G

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
ARRC, Perhaps I took your message the wrong way. I wasn't trying to be a jerk. However, I just wanted to point out that no one here is in a position to say whether or not $20 is a "small price to pay" or not. It is all relevant. What might be pocket change for one person might be the life savings of another.

If you were only trying to help then I certainly apologize.

For me it is NOT about the money. Believe me it would have been a lot cheaper to pay $20 and promote the book here from the comfort of my own home. Instead I decided to drive by car 750 miles to Orlando (one way), spend 4 nights in a hotel, pay $10 each day for parking etc. to promote and market my book. The trade off for me was worth it because I got to see a lot of friends I hadn't seen in a while Margaret Weller, Tom Gidus, Bonnie Schubert, Bob Gerrity, Karen McKee, etc. and meet many other people I had been corresponding with but never met before for the first time in person, Mike Brown, Tammy Gross, Jorge Proctor. Financially, probably not the most efficient way to market a book, but would I change a thing, NO! I did it exactly the way I wanted and had a great time in the process. Some things you can't put a price tag on.

As for the book, it is well done, I am pleased how it turned. Word of mouth is often the best (and cheapest) form of advertising. I got the book in the hands of a few people, which was my goal and now I don't really need to promote it from this point forward because it will pretty much sell itself on it's own merits.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread