The Rainbow Chasers Tricentennial YEARBOOK

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tommy Gore and I just released a new book at the FUN show in Orlando in the last several days. I had some copies off the press for the Sunken Treasure Literature Club meeting. Here's the blurb:

"Full Color Limited Edition. In 1715, the Spanish treasure fleet, bound for home, was passing through the Bahama Channel when a hurricane destroyed all of the ships, save one. More than a thousand lives were lost, and seventeen million pesos in registered specie and bullion went to the bottom. This tragedy occurred along a stretch of shore now celebrated as the Treasure Coast of Florida, so named for the vast bounty of gold and silver, which continues to be found there. Three centuries later, The Rainbow Chasers Tricentennial Yearbook is a review of that disaster with emphasis on the fleet's salvage over the last six decades. The book contains many first-hand recollections of people involved in the ongoing adventure, more than twenty maps, and over two hundred photos. An analysis of the coastal venue, the ships involved, the storm track, and previously unpublished narratives round out the story. At least two of the 1715 Fleet ships seemingly disappeared without a trace and somewhere in the wreckage a parcel of jewelry, especially crafted for Queen Isabella, has yet to be found. Where is it? The hunt continues! Fully indexed with bibliography"

It's 8.5 X 11 inch, 254 pages and there are many additions written by Rob Westrick, Bonnie Schubert, Jon Wilson, Ben Costello, and others, plus a bunch of previously unpublished photos and illustrations. I put it together for the 300 year memorial with an eye toward all the attendees at the annual Treasure Hunter's Cookout in Sebastian. I will only have the color version on the public market until the end of April, then I will put the B/W version on sale for the rest of the year. In keeping with TNet rules, you will have to PM me for further details.
Terry Armstrong sends

Attachments

• CoverDone12_23_14.gif
    CoverDone12_23_14.gif
    3.1 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Terry, save me a copy! I'd like it signed at the cookout. BTW, after talking to my old partner Brad, he and I decided that it was best if we stayed incognito. I'm sure you understand.
Thanks!

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I ordered my copy from Amazon this morning along with West of the Bull. My gift card from my niece got put to good use

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terry, i would like a signed color copy also. i can pick it up, meet you over here ? let me know.

chuck.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
terry, i would like a signed color copy also. i can pick it up, meet you over here ? let me know.

chuck.

You can come by the house if you want, or I can mail you one... silly idea, you only live a few miles away actually. What's your pleasure?

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The things sold out instantly. I had to give my personal copy to Bill Pearson. I have some more on the way; should be here in about ten days. Also McLarty Museum will have some on hand in about two weeks or less.

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
Terry, I would like a signed color copy as well. I will either email you or PM you in about 10 days to get a status on your inventory. Thanks.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, congratulations for your new book. Claudio

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Terry, DON'T SAVE ME A COPY! Deb just got me one in the mail! I'll bring it to the Cookout to have it signed! YAY!

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this book any different than the original Rainbow Chasers book?

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it is different enough to warrant a purchase, but you need to ask somebody like aquanut for an independent appraisal.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Hey PF, Give me a chance to read it and I'll give you my opinion then. However, knowing signumops as I do, you don't need to wait. Go ahead and buy it! He has never disappointed.
Aquanut

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Is this book any different than the original Rainbow Chasers book?

Yes - lots of new photos and stories. Includes an overview of working a "dig" boat and information on the base maps we use and navigation. Great explanation of GPS coordinates, the old maps, etc. I will make mandatory reading for anyone wants to work with me.
The format is larger, 8-1/2 x 11, making the photos more impressive. Many of the photos are previously unpublished.
I know both Terry and Tommy. I like them both and know I can rely on their information. That is the beauty of the book - it is a real view of the 1715 Fleet and the salvors. Many of these people I know (or knew) and the book is being able to sit down with them again and listen.If you can imagine listening to a book, and seeing it, even as you read, you can grasp the effect. Got a copy at the FUN show and didn't have time to read it, but kept opening it to look at the photos and the whole story was there in a flash of memories. It's a book to carry aboard and take a look at when the day is going bad, the finds aren't coming, and you get that feeling you should head back to the dock and put a for sale sign on the boat. (yes I have those days) So many have invested in the Fleet salvage - money, yes but also themselves. This book will remind me always of the friends , the finds, and of why I keep putting in the time.
This isn't entirely an "independent appraisal": I was asked to contribute a bit of writing about Mom and I - we are super excited to be a part of this book :laughing7:

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just got my copy, and it is completely different from the original edition. Beautiful photos too. Another great job Terry, and good timing for me because I just finished reading West Of The Bull.

Keep up the good work.

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I decided I couldn't wait until the Cook Out, so I ordered from Amazon. Terry...you'll still sign it, won't you? I am really looking forward to reading it while getting things ready for this season.
I think I'll see about getting everyone that is in the book and still able to do so to sign it. Might be a good idea to bring a few extras to the Pennwood.

OP
OP
signumops

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all for the supportive comments! I will have some at Pennwood, and, you are all correct... the idea was to have those actors together at one place where they could each add signatures to the book. I wanted to get as many people in there as I could, so everybody could have a collector edition eventually. I had fun putting the book together, and did some grey matter housecleaning while I was at it. Now I'm wondering if some lithograph prints would be of interest... something to consider.
Hey bikerlawyer; keep those aerials coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread