1715 wrecks

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
robert is quite right--the names "La Holandesa" and "Olandesa" were basic spanish slang terms for this vessel---meaning "the dutch" or just "dutch"----- they also may have used the term "La Galera" since the vessel was a smallish dutch galera or "galley" type of vessel and "La Galera"" means "the galley" in spanish ---Echeverz named the vessel he "bought" a name he liked ---"Nuestra Senora de la Popa"---- and that was thus its "offical" name----and it was a common for the day for a "offical" religious name to be "given" to it --- SAN MIGUEL--- (in hopes of providing "heavenly protection")--- in fact just about every spanish ship of the treasure ship era was known by at least two names---- one religious and the other one as the "offical name" it was the norm of the day ---and they "both" were used along with many "nick - names" that all to often commanly find their way into the records ---often leading modern researchers to pull their hair out in large clumps---while attempting to sort thru the mess---- Ivan

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cappy Z. said:
Have any emeralds ever been found 'uncut' near the 1715 wreck sites?

Were there emeralds on the ships?

Thanks

CZ

Cappy, many emeralds, both cut and uncut have come off the 1715 fleet. If you made the Beach Party, I had some with me and would have been glad to show them to you. All were found on the beaches from Pepper Park north to Wabasso. Two of those I hid for the hunters to find came off of those beaches.

A "hoard" was also located in the early 90's I think it was, when a TH'er broke open an anomaly and hundreds of them poured out into his lap.

I always encourage people to search the shell lines and pick up every piece of "green glass" they see. They aren't all broken glass. Have a great day and find lots of treasure.
Deepsix

DR

Feb 22, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
DFX, Excal 1000
Please excuse me, but I must say again, Thank Deepsix for a wonderful party!
DR

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
Try reading Pieces of Eight by Kip Wagner or Florida's Golden Galleons by Burgess and Clausen. Both provide a wealth of information on the history of the 1715 fleet and both have been recently reprinted by Florida Classics Library and are now thus easy and inexpensive to find.

You can work on these legally through sub-contract. I was out yesterday on the Colored Beach wreck where we found three silver coins, a brass belt buckle and musketball.

I have also worked with HRD over the past seven years. People tend to forget that not all the 1715 sites are tied up with Fisher contracts. They have been working a 15 square mile area off Vero Beach that has yielded both gold and silver coins, spikes, cannonballs, bronze navigational dividers and other period material.

The best thing to do is contact permit holders and do things the legal way. Most are happy to have someone lend a helping hand.

I just took T-Netter Rocky from Tallahassee, who I met at the Treasure Expo and his two brothers out to the site this weekend and we had a great time treasure hunting.

Rob

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DR said:
Please excuse me, but I must say again, Thank Deepsix for a wonderful party!
DR

Thanx DR. It really was a great day.
Deepsix

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
i have a copy of PIECES OF EIGHT by KIP WAGNER. its hard cover, in great condition, third printing and autographed by Kip Wagner. I'm not sure what its worth but I'm willing to sell or trade for some TH equipment . this would make a great goodluck charm to have on a TH boat. ps. i'd like to be paid in cobs. ;D

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
What was the date of the third printing?

wailinmacs

Jun 19, 2007
Boca de Ratones
Detector(s) used
excalibur
i guess its worth whatever someones willing to pay. it would be embarrassing for me to make a foolish trade right here on a TR forum though. I'd be very satisfied if this book went to someone who truly treasured it, not for its value. it would be great to hold my own piece of eight instead of reading about it. third printing 1968. here are the pics.
thanks and sorry for highjacking this thread. macs.

Attachments

• 8-14-07 001.jpg
    8-14-07 001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 319
  • 8-14-07 002.jpg
    8-14-07 002.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 315
  • 8-14-07 003.jpg
    8-14-07 003.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 8-14-07 004.jpg
    8-14-07 004.jpg