Shipwrecked armada found on Google earth , what do I do next ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARRC, I concur. It can not be a shipwreck Armada. One also only has to apply a little common sense and look back on the 1605, 1622 and 1715 Spanish Treasure fleets that were lost in Hurricanes. All of those shipwrecks were spead out over a large area when lost. They were lost over many miles, not many acres.

Also it is a good idea not to say you bought a shipwreck treasure map in a bar and expect perople to believe it or believe you could buy a real treasure map in a bar.

ALTHOUGH... I might just tell you... believe it or not...
Not once... but twice ...
I know of 2 cases of maps/coordinates actually purchased in bars in the Keys...
Both of which produced...
One ... emeralds.
here is a version of the story...
there are many...
and has been a big thing since it happened...
Treasure Hunters Battle Over a Trove of Emeralds | Miami New Times

Blackbeards Ghost

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also it is a good idea not to say you bought a shipwreck treasure map in a bar and expect perople to believe it or believe you could buy a real treasure map in a bar.

Fyi , The treasure map story was concocted to cover up the what really happened. Which is , they bought 80 lbs. of treated Emeralds , a mistake which cost them everything , and claimed they were recovered near the Atocha , another mistake. Kim Fisher spent a lot of money going after Emeralds he only thought were his , pirate v pirate....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah like I said...
big crapola.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you need is a big rope man...

Shipwreck.jpg

Blackbeards Ghost

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ALTHOUGH... I might just tell you... believe it or not...
Not once... but twice ...
I know of 2 cases of maps/coordinates actually purchased in bars in the Keys...
Both of which produced...
One ... emeralds.
here is a version of the story...
there are many...
and has been a big thing since it happened...
Treasure Hunters Battle Over a Trove of Emeralds | Miami New Times
Again for clarity sake , the story of the map was just that , a story. Miscovich and Elchlepp concocted a plan to make a mint by buying inexpensive Emeralds , claim they were from a sunken treasure and rake it in. There is NO WAY Emeralds were being treated with polymer 400 years ago , the original argument (whos emeralds are they) is null and void.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again for clarity sake , the story of the map was just that , a story. Miscovich and Elchlepp concocted a plan to make a mint by buying inexpensive Emeralds , claim they were from a sunken treasure and rake it in. There is NO WAY Emeralds were being treated with polymer 400 years ago , the original argument (whos emeralds are they) is null and void.

I was merely pointing out it happened.

Blackbeards Ghost

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
" I've never seen shipwreck trails like that; especially ones that are 'fork-like', up-current trails. How would that occur?"
If it were sunk ships , perhaps they made a wrong turn into shallowish water (to avoid a storm ?) & the current trails are actually scrape marks from the bottoms of the boats & the fork like trails could be where 2 boats traveling in the same wake split off to avoid the currents while trying to escape.

" All of those shipwrecks were spead out over a large area when lost. They were lost over many miles, not many acres. "
If these are boats, perhaps the debris was prevented from spreading by a reef , I wouldn't discount it solely based on a confined wreckage.

MPH200

Oct 26, 2012
Austin, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I agree with what has been said above, just don't see it. I like the bunny idea.

The 11 ships wrecked at Las Aves in 1678 were pretty close together.

grossmusic

Jul 19, 2013
Cape Canaveral
Detector(s) used
I detect the history: I've visited archives up & down the entire US East Coast, Bahamas, Jamaica, Kew, The Hague, etc. Have yet to go to Seville or S.American archives.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Whoa - what happened to all the dreamers out there? Until disproven, I prefer to think it's a shipwreck. My advice - rent a boat, go out and put eyes on it. Prove or disprove, THEN get all legal about it.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm a landlubbin' writer.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I don't see it either. If you feel strongly about it, "Boots on the ground, Fins in the water..."

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit I didn't read all the responses but judging from my own personal experience and that of close friends it looks a lot like what myself and others have uncovered in the past off the coast of Florida here.. it looks like an ancient root system from when the coastline was quite a bit different to me.. I think the light colored areas that you believe are sticking up from the bottom are actually indented channels from water runoff

Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, and I don't mean to offend anyone, but this whole idea is just silly.

The trails you see are simply slightly deeper water scoured by tidal action.

You see similar trails in shallow waters around the world...bookoos of them.

Just Google Earth the waters around the Florida Keys a bit and you will see very many "shipwrecked armadas"...

There is an old rhyme to keep yourself from running aground in the Keys:

"Brown, brown, run aground.
White, white, you just might.
Green, green the bottom's clean.
Blue, blue, sail on through."

The funny thing to me is that this is only slightly more silly than Miskovich's emerald scam.

And yet apparently quite a few otherwise intelligent people actually bought into the scam and invested money.

Amazing.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread