Aquanut, A possible cabin fever project or Adventure.

frankie

Feb 7, 2010
mass
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 deus excalibur sovern but used gp4500 sd2200 whites nd a few fisher. Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You get the best fishing on wrecks. That's were the fish go to eat and hide. Sounds like it's just on the outside of the everyday shrimping grounds.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Aquanut, the sailboat sounds like a good idea. Because I don't think we're ever going to see the Bell.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Did I show you guys the hat I'm bringing to raffle....... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1429017445.411760.jpg

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Ahh, the old 2 finger salute. If you can't bring a picture of the Bell to the cookout, at least bring a picture of the wench. So we know she is real.

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heck, I live in upstate NY, I would like to just be able to make the cookout just to meet you folks. Allot of knowledge. Great read in this thread, good luck to you all. Joe

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Only from Pete and Ed, John, you and I made of lot of sense early on ha ha.....

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sorry I missed out on the cookout --my operation on the 10th of April had me out of sorts --I'm still slowly recovering from it --- Ivan

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
old man --often the civil war era blockade runners carried gold coin to buy goods --- few folks wanted confederate paper money for their goods that they sold --gold coin was the money needed or at least silver -- often under the capt bunk vessel were reported to carry about 50,000 in gold coin outbound along with cotton for buying goods * and the wages of the capt and crew were often in gold or silver as well .. capts often used their wages to buy goods and to make lots of money off of side deals that way in say about 6 to 12 trips they could retire in style..

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
old man --often the civil war era blockade runners carried gold coin to buy goods --- few folks wanted confederate paper money for their goods that they sold --gold coin was the money needed or at least silver -- often under the capt bunk vessel were reported to carry about 50,000 in gold coin outbound along with cotton for buying goods * and the wages of the capt and crew were often in gold or silver as well .. capts often used their wages to buy goods and to make lots of money off of side deals that way in say about 6 to 12 trips they could retire in style..
Ivan, thanks for the Information. You are a great researcher. If you'd like, I can pm you the numbers of the snags around S.C. and you and Pete and Aquanut can try and put something together. I don't mind helping good people and John has high reguards for you as a person and researcher.
Let me know if I can help?

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Colonial wrecks - a bad idea in my humble opinion. On top of archie and gov't troubles, you have an issue with expense of recovery. Colonial wrecks are almost a no-win scenario unless you have a chance discovery. There is usually no remains left unless you find cannon or anchors. Even then, cannon and anchors were cut loose in storms. Is it a shipwreck site? Most of the remains are usually buried in the sand or silt. Bring in the blowers, or wait for a storm. One requires securing money. The other requires you're on location right after the storm. If it is a shipwreck site, then the hull likely burst open along the way and scattered the goodies for miles. All this is a very big crap shoot. There are very few Mel Fishers in the world who will keep investors excited for decades.

My opinion? Research beyond the colonial era for machinery wrecks. Steamboats, paddlewheels, clippers, etc. These wrecks still have relief and can be easily identified. From the early 1800s to present, there are literally scores of wrecks that have small fortunes in the captains safe or, in rare instances, a nice-sized valuable cargo. The advantage is that you can access research easier via newspaper accounts, and local archival source (colonial documentation is hard to find, not easy to access, and requires translation in most cases). You can actually find and ID the machinery wrecks easier. You won't spend decades hoping for a nice return for your time and money. In most cases, the wreck will be where it is, along with what you're looking for.

Enough for now. I hope you'll understand why I have little interest in colonial pursuits. Unless you just happen to swim across a colonial wreck, or hear something interesting to check out from a fisherman or lobster diver, I wouldn't bother to put much time in it. My bet is in the easier pursuits.

Best,
Darren

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread