ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have the original or revised edition ?
looks like original

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Got one in Darren's donated library a week after I bought one. Anyone out there wants my spare, send me an address.....

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Do you have the original or revised edition ?
looks like original

Both. The only difference between the hardcover 2nd Edition and the revised paperback edition is the addition of a pamphlet with updates and sources.

I use it as a sort of "index volume". If I have a question about a certain shipwreck I will go to Potter's book first, and that will lead me to other books in my library.

OP
OP
Boatlode

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I have one of the potters guides , as well as singers book too , marx' sshipwrecks in the Americas not bad --ever read frank hudsons books? :thumbsup:

ARRC - every study -- the plan of Amelia island -- made in Nov of 1769 by British Capt William Fuller for Lord Egmont of England ? - WORTHY OF NOTE IS THE ONLY WRECK SITE LISTED UPON THE MAP * -in Nassau sound it has a wreck listed that must be pre Nov of 1769 to be upon it --note this wreck site links up nicely with the Oct 24th of 1715 letter by the then Virginia Gov. -- Alexander Spotswood to Lord Stanhope of England * IN A "PS" AT THE END OF THE LETTER ---Spotswood states that a barcalonga ( small sailing vessel) was sent from Havana (cuba) by casa torres (Spanish Gov. of cuba) to the 1715 fleet wreck site area to recover VIPS , and treasure and that it sank about 40 miles (northward) from St Augustine ---this is the basis of my claim that the wreck in Nassau sound is a SPANISH 1715 FLEET RECOVERY VESSEL THAT WAS TRANSPORTING HIGH QUALITY (ROYAL) TREASURES AND VIP PEOPLE WHEN IT WRECKED ON ITS WAY BACK TO SPAIN .(LIKELY WHILE TRYING TO SEEK SHELTER BEHIND AMELIA ISLAND FROM A BAD STORM)

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got both when new. Pretty beat up by now.

Old one is autographed by Art McKee in about '75.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
did I ever tell you my elderly next door neighbor is kin to Art McKee ? --she might even know who has his research "papers" ? --I been buttering her up for sometime now -- she likes me since I chased off some "home invasion robbers" from her and her husbands house a few years back with my shotgun..

art had the "original tourist place " for treasure seekers visiting florida to look at treasure.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I want his "research papers" for me ...however copies might get made ..information is often worth its weight in gold ... really it is.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
same with me -- Ivan is my name and info is my game .....sorry I'll behave now .,,,

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya see... now that is the FIRST time I have seen that name mentioned on T-net...
Now... NOT SAYING it has never been mentioned or typed here... I have just never have seen anyone type it...
And not only is he THE FATHER OF TREASURE hunting as we know it...
LONG BEFORE any of the people I have known even thought of it... like Mel and the rest of em...
in fact Art taught Mel a lot in Mels beginnings / early days...
I often would be sitting around listening to talk and reminisce of "just like Art did... this... just like Art that".
When I was a kid I asked one day "who is Art"...
They all laughed hard...
and at once said ... "My idol " !!!
Art soon became my idol as well as many others...
And is still my idol today.
Art McKee... <R>I<P> The greatest treasure hunter who ever lived.

And also <R>I<P> Dr. Joe Bauer who set up the History of Diving Museum... with a killer displays of Art.
Keep up the good work Dr. Sally Bauer if by chance you catch "wind" of this post. :)
Sadly he died only 2 years after opening.
A MUST SEE if you are remotely interested in these things.

P>S> - I am very interested in your Art "signed copy" :)
Let me re-iterate VERY.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/memory/150076-art-mckee.html

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Potter's Treasure Diver's Guide

BL,

Great post ! Is the museum open now? And if I go to the cookout are there any must see treasure or shipwreck museums in that area or on the way back to southern FL.

Last edited:

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey SADS, there is the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum in Sebastian. Just a few miles from the cookout. It is the headquarters of the 1715 fleet treasure. Also the McLarty Museum in Vero Beach located right on the site of the 1715 fleet survivors camp. A must see.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been some time since I was in the Keys, but it looks as if there's a restaurant there now. My advice is to get advice from someone that has more local knowledge. Aquanut would do.

BL,

Great post ! Is the museum open now? And if I go to the cookout are there any must see treasure or shipwreck museums in that area or on the way back to southern FL.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks 6 and BL,
I will hit both I hope ( open on Sunday's I hope?) see you at the cookout.

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SADS 669...

Unfortunately Art's Treasure Museum in the Keys is long gone as is also a great little treasure shop/museum that was called "Somewhere In Time" in Islamorada which was a favorite of mine... Dick Holt was the proprietor and he was a really great person to chat with as he always had some good treasure stories to share. The History of Diving Museum and Mel Fisher Maritime Museum are really the only two locations left in the Keys that bring back the heydays of treasure hunting down there...

The original castle that Art's Treasure Museum was in is now a retail shop... I think they sell shoes or sandals or something... And the other McKee Castle is now a Montessori School...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARRC...

Find anything interesting when studying the Bernard Romans Map at McLarty Treasure Museum? I have a direct copy of the original map and donated an additional copy to the McLarty Museum (which is the framed one you are looking at in your photo)... There is actually more to the complete map than what most have seen and there are additional shipwreck references notated.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thanks Phips,

I will go to the 2 in the north......only have a couple of days, a trip to the keys would be a stretch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread