Robert Marx Lecture 2/24/15 Flor Do Mar

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
I wonder what claim Bob is using to back-up this story . He did visit North Sumatra with his side kick ( who was jailed for some time while there ) but he never discovered the Flor do Mar , nomatter what he claims . His story, as he is going to tell you is just full of hot air .

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I wonder what claim Bob is using to back-up this story . He did visit North Sumatra with his side kick ( who was jailed for some time while there ) but he never discovered the Flor do Mar , nomatter what he claims . His story, as he is going to tell you is just full of hot air .
Cornelis, Glad to see you posting again. I had heard rumors of the same thing a few years ago, but I just thought they were rumors.

In my opinion you are an expert on shipwrecks in Indonesian waters and have many contacts both in and out of government there.
Would you please tell us " Why " you are convinced that, Marx did not find the Flor Do Mar ?

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... this will be an interesting thread. heh

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Should always judge on what someone actually said then alleged to have been said: Still who knows what actually has gone on in the cloak and dagger world of treasure hunting.
http://www.ssssllc.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/WDM-Flor-do-Mar-I.pdf

http://www.ssssllc.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/WDM-Flor-do-Mar-II.pdf
VOC, thanks for links. It sure looks like Marx found some nice treasure over there and many problems with officals and divers.
If I had found that much treasure? I wouldn`t care if others called the wreck, the Flor de Mar or the Mickey Mouse wreck. I would just be happy with what I found, but hey that is just me.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Bob Marx did a lot of book writing . Because of this he got a ,, name,, . I recognise that he commanded a lot of repect because of that. If you look at his books more closely you will notice that most of the written material is well known ( be it in another form ) . His book about Florida wrecks states a lot of shipwrecks by name , however the location was Always mentioned as ,,in Florida ,, . Big deal Florida is quite large . This is just one of the works from the hand of Bob . As I said , Bob is a good writer but the information in these books is of little value . Most of it is rehashed information just told in a different way. If you want to know more about the Flor do Mar story contact ,, Bronze Cannon ,, for some more information. It will set things straight .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
many of the dutch traders bronze cannons were coomonly made in Indonesia in the old days :thumbsup: as my friend well knows --long time no hear ...

frankly singers book on florida shipwrecks -- gives more info in my view -- true marx books gives names of wrecks but says -- "lost on the coast of florida " with no clue as to what general area or cords of any type -- which frankly for research purposes is just about useless .-- unless one lists the "original source documents location / name)

oh bob marx knows a lot for sure (its just that hes not sharing it in his books )-- I have noticed his books tend to be very "vague" about locations --names and dates of wrecks sure --but often the location is listed as --"on the coast of florida" --way too often.. not even a general ideal of area much less any cords -- once or twice --I see lat 30 degrees or 30 degrees 20 min in his book but all too rare.

Last edited:

bronzecannons

Sep 1, 2005
Oceanside, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Cornelis you are 100% correct! Its really amazing that he is still even talking about this wreck.
TW

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Tony. I have your excellent book, Shipwrecks In Southeast Asia. You were there when Bob Marx was searching for the Flor so you know what happened.

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Furthermore ......Bob was a great story teller . And by inserting himself into the story his claim as treausure diver grew and grew . To give you something to think about . The ship captaine by ,, Cermeno ,, was wrecked at the Drake,s estero , point Reyes . Bob stated that he discovered this wrek . However ....I did my research on this wrek long before Bob stated that he discovered this wreck . What did he discover ? I was at the location as given on the maps available at the time and came to the following conclusion . The Anchorage of the ship was correct but the place where it sank was not the place given on the map . Because of storms and high seas the dunes at Point Reyes were washed down iinto the sea making the wreck site further away from the sinking location as given on the map . The indians at that time were good divers and they stripped the wreck of anything they could use . The rests of porcelain and ships iron rods were discovered ashore in the garbage disposel pits used by the indians proving the result of the dives done by the indians . Years before Bob told us the story about how he discovered the wreck of the Saint Augustine I already aked Sylvia Earl to help me in salvage of this wreck for whatever what was left over . I never got the license so I gvae up on this venture . Lateron a read about Bob Marx discovering this wreck . what wreck? there was nothing left to discover but ...... it would make a nice story for a born story teller

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
yes bob found a "wreck site " but did he find recoverable treasure ? ie can you make money / earn a living from it? ------ I know of several "wreck sites" some of which are sure to be rich with treasure but sadly due to "govt issues" having to do with legal permitting for salvage ..are totally fiscally useless sadly

in many third world type areas --finding a treasure wreck is one thing * getting to legally exploit it is another .. corrupt govt officals once they get you to reveal the location will often revoke your "papers" to salvage it --or even worse allow you to harvest it but demand that you keep all found artifacts at a place they control until the jobs "totally" finished about when its 95% done they will then accuse you of "theft" of some items and revoke the deal keeping everything and banning you from returning for life at the threat of being put in jail.. high common 3rd world scams.. they might even "take your equiptment and vessel as a punishment for "theft" and fly you out or even jail you too boot.

Last edited:

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob Marx did a lot of book writing . Because of this he got a ,, name,, . I recognise that he commanded a lot of repect because of that. If you look at his books more closely you will notice that most of the written material is well known ( be it in another form ) . His book about Florida wrecks states a lot of shipwrecks by name , however the location was Always mentioned as ,,in Florida ,, . Big deal Florida is quite large . This is just one of the works from the hand of Bob . As I said , Bob is a good writer but the information in these books is of little value . Most of it is rehashed information just told in a different way. If you want to know more about the Flor do Mar story contact ,, Bronze Cannon ,, for some more information. It will set things straight .

References (primary historical source) are totally wrong. It is not known whether purposely or what!

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
I am as old as BoMarx. Through all my adventures I got my hands on enough capital to be able to take it easy .I cannot understand that Bob is not filthy rich after all the treasure he has recovered. I listened to his lecture and frankly could not help laughing a bit .It was again the old Bob .Speaking a lot but not saying nothing .It was a nice story and Bob deserved a fee for this lecture . However too many things were false . But than it was his story . Tony Wells wil tell you a different version if you are truly interested in the Flor do Mar . I spent many years in Indonesia and am an adopted son of the ruler of the Province of Natal ( next to Aceh ) . I know Hutomo Mandala Putra ( or Tommy Suharto as Bob called him ). Also Mr.Salim is someone I know quite well ( Chinese ! and very rich ). Well Bob I wish you all good things and no hard feelingson my side .
11401201_1196204883738475_3271476875562147525_o.jpg

Last edited:

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
I have mailed my thoughts about Robert Marx and this was not done because I don.t like the guy but only becuase I think he was not well equiped to start a search for the For Do Mar . If he had the map that I printed here above he would have had a better chance to find the ship he was looking for

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I have mailed my thoughts about Robert Marx and this was not done because I don.t like the guy but only becuase I think he was not well equiped to start a search for the For Do Mar . If he had the map that I printed here above he would have had a better chance to find the ship he was looking for

Hi Corny!

cornelis 816

Sep 3, 2010
Hi you old pirate . Still looking for the pot of gold ? I lost my speach but at least I still can write. Hope to see you soon .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions