Mercury on Spanish Shipwrecks

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I have a question for any attorney or anyone else for that matter
Spain has Basically Claimed all of their wrecks with Treasure on it. Why shouldn't Spain be held responsible for cleaning up the toxic Ocean Mess, when their wreck is found to contain Mercury which is a toxic hazard to our Ocean environment?

Is there standing in the world court for treasure hunters to ban together to sue Spain ? I know for a fact that these wrecks exist. I know that Tracy Bowden found a wreck with Mercury on it in the Dominican Republic.

Unesco is a world wide organization that has basically put a halt to treasure hunting in most Countries.
Can we as treasure hunters try to get a world organization to make Spain spend what may be Billions of Dollars to clean up all of their wrecks that have Mercury on them?

Perhaps if we could accomplish such a feat, then Spain may give up their rights to every wreck that they say BELONGS to them and we could have a world that would go back to the old law of the Sea.
Finder's Keepers.

Just my thoughts. Let me know yours?

Attachments

• lcpsbSnapshot_28_(1-21-2013_3-08_PM).png
    lcpsbSnapshot_28_(1-21-2013_3-08_PM).png
    89.3 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey old man!! Not a Bad Idea at All!! They should pay for the clean up prior to release of their treasure being returned!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I really like this idea Ed. Next, they will say they don't claim those ships and they are abandoned. They will only retain rights to the ones loaded with treasure. As has been the case anyway.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Following the mercury trail to the Spanish silver.

Mercury was indeed of extreme importance in the mining of silver and gold in the New World.
Here is a short line of historical text that tells a lot:
Anton's oldest son, Markus, carried on the business successfully and during the period 1563–1641, earning some 50,000,000 ducats from the production of mercury at Almadén.

Interestingly, the archives of thisbusiness empire are well preserved and could give valuable information about the shipping of the mercury to the New World.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
mercury was vital to the refining of gold --- mercury sticks to fine gold causing it to settle out and is later on burnt away during the refining process making for toxic fumes --the fumes killed the mules and slave laborers used to refine the gold ..

worth noting --mercury was shipped to the new world from spain--to assist with the refining of the new world gold -- it would not have been sent back to spain with the "treasure" gold and silver --basically it was "imported" into the new world --not sent back to spain --so mercury would be on "inbound" treasureless vessels ...not out bound treasure loaded vessels...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Ivan, you are correct. Mercury was an inbound product on Spanish ships.
My point is that if Spain is held responsible for the toxic mercury. Which could cost them more money for a clean up and the damage it is doing to our Oceans.
Then perhaps they will abandone claims to ALL of their old shipwrecks.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Old man how you doing ? I'm interested to know what the treasure hunters do to clean up this toxic mess, when they find treasure ?? or do you only suck up the gold and silver. And let's not stop with Spain's responsibility , Whats the US doing about its toxic chemicals its dumped all over the world, including Australian waters of Brisbane during world war II and the chemicals it used in Vietnam ? Ossy

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Old man how you doing ? I'm interested to know what the treasure hunters do to clean up this toxic mess, when they find treasure ?? or do you only suck up the gold and silver. And let's not stop with Spain's responsibility , Whats the US doing about its toxic chemicals its dumped all over the world, including Australian waters of Brisbane during world war II and the chemicals it used in Vietnam ? Ossy

THREAD TOPIC....
"Mercury on Spanish Shipwrecks "

With all due respect....
please follow the rules and stay on topic if you'd like to contribute to the thread....

If you would like to discuss those other concerns feel free to start another thread of your own....
________________________________________________________________________________

Interesting old man :icon_thumleft: Know a lawyer that will file the brief for free?:occasion14:

I think I might have stumbled upon one in the BVI's years ago and after the fact found out that there's suppose to be a few in the area!!

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

Ossy, I`m doing well. Thanks for asking. What toxic mess do treasure hunters leave behind? You lost me on that one.

As far as toxic chemicals that the US left behind in Australian waters in WWll? If you are referring to Sunken Japanese ships and planes? I think we did that to save Australian lives and invasion during the war. Personally, I think a lot of brave American lives were lost doing that. I know my father was in the S. Pacific in the Navy and if it bothers you that Americans shed their blood fighting for the USA as well as Australia? I feel sorry for you.

I have no hard feelings against anyone or their opinion. My feeling is that the old law of the sea, lasted hundreds of years.
If Spain all of a sudden wants to claim their sunken ships? They should also be responsible for the toxic clean up and the damage it causes to the environment.

Just like big oil companies want to gouge consumers for oil prices? They should also have to reach deep in their pockets when there is an oil rig explosion and massive oil spill in the water.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In claiming all that sunken treasure they are in a way confirming responsibility for all the slave labor and deaths associated with the mining for the silver and gold. I think they should give an official apology too.

Oceanscience

May 23, 2010
Ivan, you are correct. Mercury was an inbound product on Spanish ships.
My point is that if Spain is held responsible for the toxic mercury. Which could cost them more money for a clean up and the damage it is doing to our Oceans.
Then perhaps they will abandone claims to ALL of their old shipwrecks.

Most happenings can be explained by following the money trail. When I say, follow the mercury trail to the Spanish silver, it is because there is a direct connection between the mercury and the silver. The mercury was needed to extract the silver. No mercury = no silver.
Now, who was in control of the mercury? Who financed the supply of mercury to the New World? Do you think the people who controlled the production of the silver through the mercury, would keep good records of their monopoly business? About each ship of each fleet that shipped their mercury. And of course on the return trip with the silver too.
You bet they did.
Any why have we not heard about these business records?
Because there are not kept in Seville. They are not even in Spain. But, yes they are well preserved.

captbilly

Nov 1, 2007
Samana
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse,Garrett
Ossy, I`m doing well. Thanks for asking. What toxic mess do treasure hunters leave behind? You lost me on that one.

As far as toxic chemicals that the US left behind in Australian waters in WWll? If you are referring to Sunken Japanese ships and planes? I think we did that to save Australian lives and invasion during the war. Personally, I think a lot of brave American lives were lost doing that. I know my father was in the S. Pacific in the Navy and if it bothers you that Americans shed their blood fighting for the USA as well as Australia? I feel sorry for you.

I have no hard feelings against anyone or their opinion. My feeling is that the old law of the sea, lasted hundreds of years.
If Spain all of a sudden wants to claim their sunken ships? They should also be responsible for the toxic clean up and the damage it causes to the environment.

Just like big oil companies want to gouge consumers for oil prices? They should also have to reach deep in their pockets when there is an oil rig explosion and massive oil spill in the water.

Ed I have been saying the same for years. If Spain wants to claim all of its shipwrecks then why wouldn’t they be responsible for the ones with toxic substances?
I know of three Spanish shipwrecks with mercury right here in the bay where I live. I was recently told there are six ships in the bay which hold mercury. Not long ago I was reading a very old historians book and read when the Spanish finished with their mining they just dumped the mercury here in the river. (The same river that flows into the bay). I have lived here seven years now and have seen unbelievable amount of birth defects. Not only should Spain be responsible for cleaning up the mercury they should also be accountable for the poisoning of the un-born children. There probably are tests the can be performed to prove the mercury has caused birth defects. With solid proof there could be lawsuits ranging into the billions of dollars.
This bay has to be the number one source of food to feed the local population. Mercury gets into the fish and when the fish are consumed it has devastating effects on un-born infants.
And on another note, just because a ship holds mercury doesn’t mean it doesn’t have treasure. Google Tracy Bowden and the quicksilver wrecks. Especially the Conde de Tolosa.
DSC_0108.JPG DSC_0110.JPG

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ossy, I`m doing well. Thanks for asking. What toxic mess do treasure hunters leave behind? You lost me on that one. As far as toxic chemicals that the US left behind in Australian waters in WWll? If you are referring to Sunken Japanese ships and planes? I think we did that to save Australian lives and invasion during the war. Personally, I think a lot of brave American lives were lost doing that. I know my father was in the S. Pacific in the Navy and if it bothers you that Americans shed their blood fighting for the USA as well as Australia? I feel sorry for you. I have no hard feelings against anyone or their opinion. My feeling is that the old law of the sea, lasted hundreds of years. If Spain all of a sudden wants to claim their sunken ships? They should also be responsible for the toxic clean up and the damage it causes to the environment. Just like big oil companies want to gouge consumers for oil prices? They should also have to reach deep in their pockets when there is an oil rig explosion and massive oil spill in the ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Hi Old man, You must be kept in the dark ? The deadliness below What I meant about the mercury is , Do the Treasure hunters clean up any of the mercury ? or do the leave it and move on. So if Spain doesn't claim the shipwreck its Ok ! You keep the treasure and who cares about the mercury ! Ossy

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Ossy, I`m doing well. Thanks for asking. What toxic mess do treasure hunters leave behind? You lost me on that one. As far as toxic chemicals that the US left behind in Australian waters in WWll? If you are referring to Sunken Japanese ships and planes? I think we did that to save Australian lives and invasion during the war. Personally, I think a lot of brave American lives were lost doing that. I know my father was in the S. Pacific in the Navy and if it bothers you that Americans shed their blood fighting for the USA as well as Australia? I feel sorry for you. I have no hard feelings against anyone or their opinion. My feeling is that the old law of the sea, lasted hundreds of years. If Spain all of a sudden wants to claim their sunken ships? They should also be responsible for the toxic clean up and the damage it causes to the environment. Just like big oil companies want to gouge consumers for oil prices? They should also have to reach deep in their pockets when there is an oil rig explosion and massive oil spill in the ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Hi Old man, You must be kept in the dark ? The deadliness below What I meant about the mercury is , Do the Treasure hunters clean up any of the mercury ? or do the leave it and move on. So if Spain doesn't claim the shipwreck its Ok ! You keep the treasure and who cares about the mercury ! Ossy

First of all my friend, we treasure hunters did not put the mercury in the ocean, Spain did. Secondly, the mercury was not on the ships we're after. Why in the hell do you think treasure hunters are responsible for this mess? We are doing our best to bring treasure and history to the surface rather than see it disappear forever. The mercury was on inbound ships from Spain which is of no interest to us. If you are so concerned with this, why don't you mount an expedition and clean up Spain's mess yourself!

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Spanish conquistadors called it Quicksilver.If anyone finds some mercury ill pay $2.50 a lb for it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ropesfish

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
A sharp eye, an AquaPulse and a finely tuned shrimp fork.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Oldish topic, but I ran across a couple of pieces of information about the Quicksilver Galleons salvaged by Capt Tracy Bowden in Samana Bay, DR.
2008 Museum Website for DiscoverSea Shipwreck Museum - The Quicksilver Galleons
https://knoji.com/shipwrecks-and-treasure-the-spanish-quicksilver-galleons-of-1724

A bit about the mercury aboard the "Empire Knight" offshore Maine: Treasure hunt has toxic twist - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Bonus link! :) This one is just an interesting article from "Alert Diver' about diving Samana Bay: Alert Diver | Pirate Hunting: The Search for the Golden Fleece

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I keep all the mercury that I dredge up (have several 2 dram vials worth) with my gold dredge in North Carolina, there was a processing plant that used it just upstream from where I dredge and I find a few droplets each day and use a smaller suction pipette to suck it up

Pubmech

Nov 16, 2019
Miami
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable!! You can't even escape this ridiculous circus that some call "Politics" on a freakin Shipwreck forum! How pathetic really!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable!! You can't even escape this ridiculous circus that some call "Politics" on a freakin Shipwreck forum! How pathetic really!

Hmmm ?

I assume you were not "forced" to read this thread.

Am I correct in assuming this ?

Then why the "stab" at it ?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread