SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'll do it, I'll doing anything to dive, great benefits too......

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428581798.040151.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was offered a KILLER job years ago... off Texas ... making astronomical amounts of money... and had to decline...
125ish feet of water.

If I had to do things over and couldnt pick my current career, I would go into commercial diving. Great money if you can dive and weld and don't have a family.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
...if you can dive and weld and don't have a family.

No family, and a risk of a short life span. Worth the risk to many guys. Not worth it to others. I woulda given it a shot back in the day.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Sads669, I was certifed in a canvas suit and copper spun helmet. You don`t have to know how to swim, if you dive that way. ( and before you start on the certified part. My mother had me tested. They said I'm not crazy. Boy were they wrong.)

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You lie! They didn't invent canvas suits until 1830 !

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Good tip for equalizing but a cork in your bu.. Focusses all the pressure to the one place when you blow to equalize

I wonder if this is where the expression, "Pop a cork" came from?

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Just my luck, this will be the bell..sigh.

Gonna be in Nassau after the cookout so WTS ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1428603675.041153.jpg

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dangers of Underwater Welding
A whole lot of regulations have been framed, so as to ensure that the underwater welder can be as safe as possible in the aquatic environment. Nevertheless, no set of regulations can be foolproof, especially when a person goes underneath the surface of the water, and works with electric equipment. Following are some of the risk factors involved in the process of underwater welding:

Danger of an Electric Shock
The underwater welders, as we know, dive into the water in order to do their job. In spite of all the safety precautions that they may take, they are still quite exposed to the risk of getting an electric shock inside the water. This might happen, especially when the welding equipment that is used is not adapted to work under the water. It is therefore advisable to get the equipment tested properly, and also to confirm that it is well-insulated and that a waterproof electrode is connected to it. This will minimize, if not completely nullify, the risk of underwater electrocution. It is also necessary to switch off the electric current immediately after the work is done.

Possibility of an Explosion
Underwater explosion is another major risk that the underwater welders may have to face. The chances of such explosions are more in processes, wherein both, hydrogen and oxygen are involved, and may lead to the formation of numerous gas pockets. Especially, within the enclosed chamber, during dry hyperbaric welding, the formation and combination of hydrogen and oxygen pockets is dangerous because they are explosive, when ignited. This underwater explosion can be extremely lethal.

Decompression Sickness
Decompression sickness, also known as 'diver's disease', is a condition, wherein a diver (underwater welder in this case) happens to inhale certain harmful gases such as nitrogen, when he dives quickly from a high pressure zone to a low pressure zone. If the welder dives too fast to the surface of the water, the possibility of nitrogen bubbles entering his bloodstream is immense. These bubbles, then spread inside the diver's body, and start showing numerous adverse symptoms. Decompression sickness may lead variably to rashes, joint pain, paralysis or even death of a person. Decompression chambers and extra divers are provided to the welders as precautions for this kind of danger.

Breakdown of Dental Amalgam
Underwater welders often complain regarding a sort of a metallic taste in their mouth, which seems to be the result of the breakdown of their dental amalgam. Recent studies have shown that in the process of electric welding and cutting under the water, a magnetic field with alternating current gets created. This magnetic field, in turn, induces a secondary current in the oral tissues of the welders, due to which their dental amalgam breaks down.

Musculoskeletal Issues and Hearing Impairment
The underwater welders are prone to certain problems pertaining to their musculoskeletal system, in the long run. Complaints may range from joint pain and muscle stiffness to back or neck pain. Added to this, it has been reported that many of the underwater welders suffer from various kinds of hearing impairments ranging from temporary hearing loss to a permanent one.

Cognitive Problems
Several underwater welders also complain of an impairment of their cognitive functions. These include problems such as partial loss of memory, lack of the ability of verbal reasoning, etc. In some cases, sudden occurrence of clinical personality change has also been witnessed. Some of the cognitive problems in underwater welders occur also due to the decompression sickness that they might be suffering from.

Other Dangers
Underwater welders may sometimes, face hazards of drowning due to equipment failure.
They may also suffer from lung, ear or nose damage, because of the high pressure that is exerted underneath the water.
Dangers that are posed by the marine animals, cannot be ignored.

The main risks for the welder performing Underwater-welding are the potential for electric shock, the possibility of producing in the arc mixtures of hydrogen and oxygen in pockets, which might set up an explosion, and the common danger sustained by divers, of having nitrogen diffuse in the blood in dangerous proportions. Curiously the risk of drowning is not listed with the hazards of Underwater-welding.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if this is where the expression, "Pop a cork" came from?

Yeah, did you here the one about the farmer who put corks in the butts of his' hogs to fatten them up??!! Once they were fat enough, he sent a monkey into the pen to remove the corks and the results were really bad, LOL!

Frank

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Sending a buddy north tomorrow ( I don't have time I need to make a tight connection....oh yeh!!) he's gonna recce why she hasn't sent the photo.

I am also going in for breakfast on Tuesday after I get to Nassau following the cookout to ask for my photo......at the cookout I will be hassling all of you doubters on this thread that dare to show up for a burger or 6.

Oh yea treasure hunters of little faith............first the Bell photo, then the booty, coins that is not the other sort .....

Last edited:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sending a buddy north tomorrow ( I don't have time I need to make a tight connection....oh yeh!!) he's gonna recce why she hasn't sent the photo.

I am also going in for breakfast on Tuesday after I get to Nassau following the cookout to ask for my photo......at the cookout I will be punching all of you doubters on this thread that dare to show up for a burger or 6.

Oh yea treasure hunters of little faith............first the Bell photo, then the booty, coins that is not the other sort .....

So "no photos" of the booty...like this one?
7f85acb729c82d7ea6b195f5852fccce.jpg

Sent from a empty soda can!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, did you here the one about the farmer who put corks in the butts of his' hogs to fatten them up??!! Once they were fat enough, he sent a monkey into the pen to remove the corks and the results were really bad, LOL!

Frank

Poor chimp with fecal matter all over him trying to get the cork reseated....

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Sads will have a photo of a bell
and a very inventive tell
of all the perils he had to brave
just to get a Burma Shave!

OP
OP
SADS 669

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
ECS is a great big bore
He thinks the waitress is a chore
I'm defiantly gonna get the shot
Especially as, we all know she's hot
and if he don't like it, who gives a flying pot.....( I was gonna put F... But the Mods would be upset)

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your waitress is taking the piss, to use your people's vernacular.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There once was a waitress who fought like hell...
Not to show even one glimpse of her bell...

And as poor ole sadds went through hell.
The "Watchers of this space" slowly fell...

ASLEEP.

:)

Glad to see you are practicing your "poetry"... for waitress.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread