Updated from todays paper about unidentified shipwreck, any ideas?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The entire news article is extremely interesting. Being new to the subject Iā€™m absolutely stunned at the legalities involved. It appears that the people doing all the research, work, time, and effort have the least amount of claim. Nobody else knew it was there, would ever have looked for it, and have no ability to do anything about the wreck even if they knew where it was, but still retain ownership?

There is a lawyer involved for a possible descendent of a possible Captain of the possible vesselā€¦ ASTOUNDING! My brain sizzles at envisioning the legal connection that gives this nobody any rights whatsoever to this siteā€¦

They have a State Archeologist working on the dive site that canā€™t dive, and has never ever seen a sunken vessel before. She has, and I quote, ā€œbeen reading underwater archaeology academic materials.ā€

I keep seeing the word ā€˜Lawyersā€™ throughout the article, which in itself explains a lot. I suppose that if it was not for all the lawyers, we would not need any lawyersā€¦

My hat, well mask, is off you all you guys that struggle thru the system to bring the lost back up. Since reading this forum I have a greater understanding of all the hoops that require jumping thru.

Keep digging, itā€™s down thereā€¦

spez401

Jul 13, 2006
Coventry, RI
Detector(s) used
Excal
Those damn lawyers... oh, ... I keep forgetting that I am one.

I would guess that the captain's decendant's lawyer would get involved if the captain had an ownership interest in the vessel. If your great great great grandfather owned a piece of a small investment that potentially could be worth millions, and there was a possibility (even small and remote) of you being entitltled to a small fortune, wouldn't you hire a lawyer?

I can see why the RE investor got an attorney. He probably also has a disposable income that allows him to hire the attorneys. As for the rest of the attorneys involved... The salvage company did the right thing in filing a claim (im assuming admiralty) to secure the site. It protects thier interests.

And AbbyGale, you're right. Admiralty law, anything involving the federal courts is a huge process, and filled with tons of hoops to jump through. It is also very expensive (as litigation costs run). They are likely spending boatloads of money (no pun intended) to secure the rights to these sites. And I would guess that they have a good reason to do so. (You never disclose EVERYTHING in litigation)

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread